• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 4.1] Repairs and Recreation

Amanda smiled warmly at Silic when he turned around. "I am glad you decided to take me up on my offer. I've been doing my best to keep track of your unit since you folks left us on Aqueous.

Of course that means only hearing what we can catch from the news mostly, and occasionally running a query against the casualty lists. Which I was always grateful to not find your name there.

Oh, I almost forgot...." she said as he handed him a package.

"Oh, um." stumbled Silic, caught slightly off guard "Thanks for looking out for me." He said, taking the gift somewhat awkwardly "I'm sorry I don't have anything to give you." he winced.

The package was about the size of a loaf of bread, and not so heavy. "Can I open it?" he asked, rattling it lightly next to his ear.

"Of course, what is the sense of giving you a simple gift and not let you open it. It is not anything fancy, but I thought of you when I saw it and chuckled." Amanda replied. "Have you been to a Warm and Sweet? They have the best selection of coffee around. Or if you prefer we can go to a restaurant. I've got several months back pay and a bonus to spend."

Silic went at the wrapping gently, carefully peeling it open using habitual engineers caution. "Warm and Sweet? I don't think they had those in Uesureya. Always good to try something new." he said casually. "So how long have you been on Veronica, you seem to know your way around? In truth I was terrified of having to find the triple-S compound."

Amanda smiled as Silic began to open her present. "I've been here for over a month. During the first rotation of the Aqueuous expedition. Finding the SSS facility is relatively easy. It is on the outskirts of Fukuoka, the civilian colony. It even has its own station for the train system. Its not as nice as the Primary Campus by Kyoto. But it services the purpose. It will be a few more months before its done.

While I'm here I am assigned to the cultural anthro team, we were researching the data we acquired from Aqueous. That is until the YSS Genus arrived after being rescued by the Aeon. It was terrible what happened to her."

“The Genus? I didn't hear about that.” answered Silic “Shall we head off and you can tell me about it?” he asked as he finally got the box open.

Amanda smiled, "Okay, but its not a very happy story." She started walking away from the terminal and over to the nearby parking lot. She approached a white sleek looking vehicle, turned towards Silic. "So flyboy can you drive something other than a Fighter? I was able to sign out one of our new Zephyr's, want to take a turn at the wheel?" She said pointing to the car.

What was in front of Silic looked like it didn't know if it wanted to be a hatchback or a sports car, normally that would mean that it wouldn't be particularly good at being either, however the lack of wheels said exactly what this machine was meant to do.

Silic couldn't help but grin. "Always wanted to try no-wheel drive." he said, his face already giving away what he intended if let loose in such a vehicle. He almost slid across bonnet, before remembering what had happened the last time he'd been set loose in an SSS vehicle. He'd have to be gentle with this one.

He walked around to the drivers side, all ready and eager to get started. After Yaeko's driving, he was glad to get some of his own time in.

Amanda unlocked the vehicle with the datapad she held. "Let's have some fun before we get that coffee." she said as she slid into the grey passenger seat. She initialized the vehicle and waited for Silic to get in.

Which Silic did, almost before the doors had finished opening. He sat at the wheel eagerly, quickly adjusting the seat and familiarising himself with the controls before looking over at Amanda with almost a puppy-dog expression of glee.

Ronica

Amanda relaxed in her seat, and selected some rock music. She watched Silic as he checked out the controls. To her eye he displayed a confidence that she hadn't seen in their prior encounters. "Shall we see what she can do flyboy?"

Chiharu
Konpeki sent the following message to Elisto
Tereane-Hei,
Come by my quarters as soon as possible. I have an update from HQ.
Eika-Ittô Heisho

Silic suddenly realised he still had Amandas present on his lap, he grinned somewhat sheepishly and finished opening it. Inside was a cute plushy of a rather smaller than scale predatory cat of striking similarity to a previous run in of his.

"Say," he said loudly over the rock music "back on Aquarious, you didn't happen to hear anything about a specific species of large cat did you?" he asked, hoping against hope that this was all just a coincidence.

Chiharu

Elisto waited to see what more would be talked about, pondering a bit to himself as he glanced over at some of the equipment. "Mmm.. what to-" he said as his voice trailed off from a message he received. "Ah, I must be going, it was nice meeting you Seion-hei, you take care Anne-hei," he gave them both a smile and a nod of the head before leaving for Konpekis quarters.

On my way Eika-Itto Heisho

Amanda smiled, "Heard, no... but there was some interesting video on the internal security camera. Of you grabbing a Nekovalkyjra and carrying her out of the CRDM while being chased by a large cat.

It was rather brave of you to risk your life saving her."

Silic examined the little toy in his hand, as though thinking about something before carefully putting it back in its box and leaning around to put it on the back seat. "Um, would do the same for anyone." He finally replied, he seemed to almost be blushing slightly.

"Lets see what this thing can do." He said, smiling as he hit the ignition. The car rose into the air a few feet, then accelerated upwards above the streets.

The Zephyr rose swiftly, Silic would find that the controls were responsive and the vehicle would almost anticipate his intentions.

"Once we get out in the open, why don't you open it up. I heard they are really fast and I am thinking of buying one." Amanda said.

System: Veronica

ON
Konpeki looked at the message on her screen for the second time. Disbelief was her initial response, but after reading the attached information. Her disbelief became a low anger at the responsible parties.
She waited for Elisto to arrive, she sat at the desk in her quarters.

Elisto calmly approuched the quarters, he looked down at his uniform and straightened it out before giving a light knock on the door. "Tereane-hei here," he said in a calm tone.

Ah he is here at last. Good, the sooner I can brief him the better I will feel.. Konpeki looked away from the screen, and pressed the door control, as the door slid open she called out, "Come in Tereane-San."
Konpeki then activated a pair of devices she had sitting on the floor of the room. When Elisto would walk through the door there would be a slight change in air pressure.

Elisto stepped in, glancing partway toward the walls curiously before approuching Konpeki's desk. "You called for me ma'am," he asked in a calm, curious tone, hinting that he somewhat had a feeling what this was about.

Konpeki waved her hand over the control unit, and the door slid closed as the devices started humming, and a faint shimmer appeared along the walls. "Okay, it is safe for us to speak now. I am sure you are wondering and yes this has to do with the Directive 137.9 that we received earlier. Please have a seat." she said as she sat on the issued sofa.

He glanced over at the sofa and walked casually over to it, sitting down, but not really relaxing. "I'm hoping the directive being put into place has nothing to do with me getting a fellow pilot involved in analyzing the sensor data...." he said, a hint of worry in his tone.

Konpeki was watching Elisto carefully, evaluating his movements to determine how best to proceed. His initial comment almost made her laugh, instead she smiled warmly. "I can assure you the Directive had nothing to do with any analysis you were performing on mission sensor data, or the fact that you were working with a fellow soldier."

A small relieved sigh left him, but then he looked up and thought for a moment. "Then if I may ask, what happened? I know the directive can only be done when its a threat to SAINT."

"This is information is not to be shared with anyone outside of SAINT. It is regarding a betrayal of not only SAINT but ultimately the Empire as well."

Elisto stiffened, he was curious before, but hearing that there was a betrayal, meant that curiosity turned into a serious interest now, who would betray the Empire?

"This conspiracy was brought to the Director's attention by an ongoing investigation on the Nishitama. The Tachibana Clan who have a number of members in SAINT has gone rogue. They were developing a bioweapon of mass destruction. They intended to use it against the other races." she replied.

Elisto thought for a moment. "To ultimately what end though? Just the mention of a bioweapon reminds me of the great plague by PNUgen, and even though 'that' was created by a single corporation, there are still people who blame Yamatai. Creating another bioweapon would just instill more hatred toward us, so what's the ultimate goal?" he asked curiously, his mind trailing off a bit in thought.

"Apparently the Tachibana clan are Nekovaklyjra supremists. Their goal was to deploy these weapons to force the other races to join the NH species as either NH-22C's or NH-29's or die as a people. They saw this as a way to strengthen the Empire by outright mass murder."

He shook his head. "Sounds like history repeating itself, what do we do about this and what can we do about the clan?" Elisto asked and shifted his weight bit.

"Effective immediately, the Tachibana clan is declared rogue, any member of the clan is to be arrested on site. If they refuse use of deadly force is authorized but only if there is no other way to stop them. Their financial assets will be frozen if they are in any bank within the Empire, but most likely they will have anticipated this and liquidated such assets. We are to step up our vigilance, and when not actively employed otherwise, look for them. I am running a cross reference for the crew of the Heitan looking for anyone who has had any dealings with this clan. When I get a list, I will give part of it to you to contact and question."

Elisto brought his hand up to his chin for a moment in thought, then asked. "I'm doubtful any officers know what is going on, but I'm certain some may start asking questions when we start questioning some people, provided there are any..."

"Actually that will not be a problem. Tamahagane Mai-Chujo has been under the impression that some aspects of the Star Army and possible SAINT was compromised since she took office. Missions compromised, the enemy alerted to them, it spelled a pattern long before we learned of this problem. Its one of the tasks I have been working. Looking for anomalies, discrepancies in personnel. Even without this Clan, the NMX have been infiltrating installations and sabotaging by creating soldiers. So our investigation can be two fold."

"If there are supporters of the Tachibana Clan onboard, let's just hope we can find them before they decide to do us some harm," Elisto thought aloud for a moment, not realizing that he had actually spoken his thoughts.

"That's the general idea. Locate any sympathizers, route out the Tachibana, and neutralize their threat potential. We also have to be careful with the local squadrons. I have vetted most of the veterans of the 21st, and a few of the others. But new recruits are the greatest risk right now. Even Vas has been checked out, he may be a screw up, and a whiner, but he's no traitor."

"I wasn't going to say anything, but that's good to know," said Elisto a bit nervously, recalling how Vas had treated him when he first arrived.
"Do we have anyone in the 21st that 'might' be suspicious?"

"All the people who flew on the last mission are cleared, so its just any new transfers that we will need to take some time to vette. Take an opportunity to talk to some of them, get an impression of them. I'll initiate a background check on each, and get with you on those results. With the two of us working together we can get it done quickly."
Elisto nodded. "Aye, let me know if you find anyone suspicious that needs to be looked into further." And hope that this clan doesn't decide to cause us problems just to throw us off, but that's probably what I should expect....

Konpeki switched off the security systems, and handed Elisto a datapad. "Keep that with you at all times. Its been modified and has a special ecryption circuit. I will use it to contact regarding this matter. That's all for now."

"Aye Ma'am," said Elisto as he gave her a bow, then turned partway toward the door and left to take care of his other duties.

Silic smiled, keeping his eyes on the 'road', his attention focused. "You won't have to wait long." He promised, pushing the throttle forward. He didn't push the car to its max just yet, just enough to beat any usual cruise. Neck snapping turns on a first date were a bad idea.

"You just point me to this coffee shop." He smiled as the car responded smoothly, taking a corner with ease. It was extremely controllable.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back