Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 8.0] Whispers in the dark

"Might have something here," remarked Elisto as he repurposed the sensors to get a better reading on the larger objects. "Sensors are picking up some life-signs on those two large objects in the distance, there are also some EM readings as well..."

There were indications of venting plasma from the two large objects. Additionally there was background radiation indicative of fusion weaponry.

The life signs were definitely human although there were indications of other species present.

There was brief bursts of static that alternated from each of the structures.

LADAR showed that the two objects were slowly drifting apart, and were slowly tumbling in an uncontrolled fashion.

"I have Ion trail moving from the location. They are consistent with a Paragon made fighters. There are also several smaller trails. Possibly shuttle craft with weaker engines or even power armour." Anne reported to the leader first. She did not like this one bit.

"Ma'am if there is someone inside, they might be injured." Anne said with worry in her voice. "We should go and help."

Akemi considered each of the other pilot's inputs. But ultimately the decision was her's.

"I am going to side with Spinner. I think for the moment we can say that whatever hostile action has been concluded. Let's move cautiously towards one of the larger structures. If there are people, they can provide us with answers. Though we will proceed with caution, weapons ready.

After all Tin Man's view isn't completely off. This smells wrong, we just do not know what kind of wrong."

She activated her engines and set a course for the large object to starboard. "Scrapyard, are you registering that static? Can you run an analysis and see if there is some communications in there."

Silic raised an eyebrow at the twin shattered wrecks and looked away, swallowing dryly. The sight a little bit too much of a reminder what was outside the suddenly thin glass of the cockpit. He looked out to the rest of the flight spread out on either side of the craft and then looked back at his console.

Slowly number 47 moved forwards with Akemi's fighter.

Akemi continued slowly approaching the object. The static was becoming louder, but she could not detect any sense of communications. Perhaps their comm systems have been damaged and a short is making it send white noise.

She activated her Kawarime's landing lights. The brilliant lamps illuminated the exterior of the object. There were two sections that protruded from the disk. They looked like some sort of junction or concourse. The edges of the protrusions were blackened. The surface of the hull of the disc was pitted with an assortment of damage. There were no indications of windows, but there were what appeared to be two airlocks visible from their perspective.

"Scrapyard, see if you can locate the source of that static. Also see if you can get pinpoint where the life forms are. If they are close to one of those airlocks. That should help with making contact."

"There seems to be life on both roids," remarked Elisto as he browsed through the available sensor information. "Seems both are also communicating but not very well..." his voice trailed off as he attempted to find some way to patch into the brief bursts of static to listen in on what was going on - maybe doing so would allow them to get a better idea of who was on board and how many may still be alive.

As the squadron drew closer to the objects, Elisto's systems were able to detect multiple signals embedded in the static. There were at least twelve identified, the first one appeared to be attempts at data transfers. The same command attempting to reach something that was no longer connected.

At a close range additional details of the surface of the one structure became clearer. In addition to the apparent airlocks, there were what seemed to be a number of large panels. Their exact nature was unknown, but they were large enough to be entrances to holds, or perhaps some sort of ships bay.

"Should we call for a marine contingent to board it?" Silic asked as they made out the airlocks and entrances.

The prospect of leaving his fighter for the dark unknown confines of the -whatever they they were- was not very comforting. Almost as bad as being in space. His chin tightened and he swallowed at the thought of it.

"Let's get a few more readings first," Elisto suggested as he flew in a bit closer to the roids, not close enough for someone to potentially see them 'if' there were any windows to look out of - but he was curious about the data transfers going on, they could shed some additional light. He made an attempt to covertly tap into the streams, to see what was being transferred.

Akemi thought about the situation, she also pondered Silic's suggestion. She was tempted, but without proof that the people inside were hostile. She was not about to call in an assault team.

"I am not calling the Heitan to ask for Marines to breach these structures. We have detected life signs and the evidence out here would strongly indicate that a battle took place.

I want something definitive before we call for reinforcements. Tin Man, if necessary do you think you could hot wire the door controls for the airlock or one those other panels?"

----

Elisto's attempts to tap were successful initially. He was seeing status reports from the structure. Casualties 14, survivors 54 and estimates for repairing power and long range communications.

Surprisingly the data stream was going between the two sections even without a physical connection.

There was sporadic chatter on another band, a query about when one of their ships would return, a response was 3 days.

Then his system showed that something was trying to connect to his computer. So far the security firewall were holding.

Then without warning all signal activity ceased.

"Well, I got a crowbar." Silic replied nonchalantly.

Deep inside he really didn't want to be on ground zero if that door opened. Or out in space at all for that matter.

Akemi would have face palmed if she was not wearing a helmet. I should not be surprised. I am talking to Silic.

"Actually Tin Man I was talking about being a bit more sophisticated. You are a technician. If you did not bring any of your usual tools that you have used in the past to make on the fly repairs. There are a few in the survival kit under your seat.

Scrapyard, any chance you may have some electronic items that would could use to override the airlock from outside?"

The intel operative cursed, he thought he had put up enough of a wall so that someone wouldn't pick up on his attempts at accessing the information but regrettably it appeared he hadn't, as he was about to try again he heard Akemi's request.

Elisto thought and smiled. "I never leave home without em," he grinned and banked his fighter slightly to provide his crafts sensors with a better angle. "I've also had some success in taping into their lines, there are fifty four survivors currently although there are fourteen dead. They have some estimates for repairs on their power and communications systems."

"They also apparently sent a ship out, but it would be a few days before it comes back. Based off this and other scans, I'm not confidant enough to say whether these people 'have' a few days left... especially since they are defenseless right now and could be attacked again.."

Silic shrugged inside his cockpit, not that Akemi could see. "I don't think they had hacking doors in mind when they put it there." he replied.

"Also, I fix cars. Not spaceships."

Akemi listened to her crew members, the only way to make an informed decision was to gather as much data as possible. But when was all said and done, it was up to her to make call.

"I do not feel right doing a cut and run on these people. We at least need to make an attempt to contact them and offer them assistance.

Scrapyard attach your fighter to their hull and EVA to the airlock. We will provide cover for you. Primary objective is to connect to their internal communication system. But also make an assessment of the airlock controls in case we need to open them from outside."

"Roger that!" said Elisto as he flew his fighter carefully up to the stations hull, when he was close enough he engaged the locking mechanism and felt the slight 'thump' of the fighter becoming attached to the metallic hull.

He double checked his helmet seals and then cracked open the cockpit, letting it rise for a brief moment just enough to ensure that his own suit was secured, when all checks were completed he got out of the fighter and sealed the cockpit shut and began to make his way slowly toward the airlock. Let's just hope there are no windows, don't need to be freaking out any woman potentially changing...

"I think I should go with ma'am," Anne said over comms. She was not particulary happy about getting out for a little space-walk, but it was not like it would be her first time space-walking with Elisto. After all that little moment got her, her little callsign. Spinner. "There might be injured." She added waiting for leader to answer, so she could get out too if needed. Anne started to checking her suit in advance just to be fast, should she really go out.

"Okay Spinner, you can go EVA with Scrapyard. Just be careful." she said over the radio.

Akemi positioned her fighter so that she could watch Elisto and Anne when they went EVA. She was still wary of the situation, but she also did not want to leave without doing as thorough job as possible.

"Tin Man, pull back to 2,000 meters and keep an eye on the structure. Watch for anything that looks like it might be threat."

Anne waited for Akemi to align the fighter and give her thumbs up. Anne then proceeded and strap her medical bag to her suit. After she made sure her NSP was holstered and locked so it would not flow away, she popped the hatch and exited the fighter. She held on the cockpit and closed it behind herself, before kicking off to where Tereano floated.

"After you," she said and smiled at him as she landed next to his position. She grabbed of the derelict and waited for the SAINT agent to move.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back