• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 9.1] Tip Of The Spear (Battle of Sbuhfaba)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 9] Tip Of The Spear

Once Iella had left, Hanako started with the briefing.

"Last year soon after the NMX front was closing in, our fleet sent 11th Squadron to secure the shipyard there. They were unsuccessful. Now, that shipyard is being used to replenish NMX ships lost in the Elysian invasion. Our Taisho knows that in order to win the war we need to strike at their manufacturing assets and destroy their ability to make war. With this in mind, we will launch a large scale-strike on the shipyard. In order to ensure success, Eucharis has been ordered to sneak in and prepare the site for invasion through intelligence gathering and sabotage. We have a chance to save lives by detailing and disabling the defenses. The NMX are recovering, so time is a factor. The more quickly we can strike, the more successful we will be."

"Its probably the military are too tight up over the recent incidents to get your transfer done Ramiro." Nika comforted him just as Hanako began the briefing.

Sune's mind shifted gears at Hanako's announcement. Another secret, no make that covert mission. Especially after how well the previous mission went and this one sounds infinitely more dangerous. he thought.

He turned briefly to Ramiro, "Looks like you are going to miss the fun, sure you want to transfer to something boring like instructor duty." he said to his friend with a wink.

He turned his attention back to his ICP while he waited for Hanako to provide more information. This data from our prior encounters just became much more important. If we are going into hostile territory to gather intelligence without being detected then my idea might just prove useful.

Ramiro listen intently to Hanako's briefing. Sound ridiculous, impossible, and insane. Too bad I have to miss it. When Hanako was finished Ramiro leaned over towards Sune and answered, "Well, from what this mission sounds like, boring instructor duty increases my chance of not getting me or someone else killed. Plus, if command takes much longer on my orders, you guys might have to put up with me for one more mission."

Hamada sighed, relaxing back in her chair as if exausted, her hands folded across her lap.

It did sound a great deal like an impossible mission. On the other hand, the stealth capabilities of the Plumeria ship class weren't anything to sneeze at. So, Hamada reasoned internally, they could penetrate the NMX defences. To what gain? What could they possibly hope to gather? If it were just Intelligence the Imperium desired through these orders, it could have easily been attained through other means. What the Imperum must have been after must be sabotage, and sabotage was a tricky business.

Ultimately they would have to make landfall, and that would more than likely compromise their stealth advantage. It would become fighting, and that would not be a winnable situation. What could they honestly hope to do by committing suicide?

There were darker connotations that Hamada suspected, but she refrained even from thinking on them. If she were going to die as the result of some internal political mechanism, it might as well catch her unawares.

"Is there some more specific mission objective?" Hamada posed, lifting her head, her expression a customary blank.

Takeyu leaned back in his chair as he listened to Hanako's briefing; though his mind raced with the various possibliities of success and failure, he also wondered how much of a dent they'd actually put in the NMX's ability to continue the war.

Truth be told; he wished I could be of more help, the disk he had on him might've proved useful if the code wasn't so incomplete. I'll have to save it for another time, he sighed and kept his attention toward Hanako.

Hmm...

"With regards to specific objectives...if there are computer-automated defenses we will seek to disable the control system and communications infrastructures. If possible, we can also attempt to take control and train their defense guns onto NMX starships and fire just before our invasion fleet arrives," Hanako replied. "We will do anything we find we can do to prevent a coordinated response to the fleet's attack."

Sune was not entirely sure he was comfortable with the vague parameters of the mission. But then it was not any different from some of the earlier missions. "So basically Taisa, our objectives are a) gather intelligence, b) disable any defense systems we can, c) compromise the NMX systems to hinder them from making a coordinated response to the attack and d) keep the Eucharis in one piece. Sounds like a fairly tall order. What about the rest of the Squadron? Where will they be?"

"In the interest of stealth we will probably go in alone, although we do have the option of having them also try to infiltrate," Hanako explained. "Basically, they are available if we need them."

Takeyu blinked and looked off to his side. He wanted to speak his mind and give his idea, but being a new crewmember made him apprenhensive for once in his life-time and his body movements clearly showed that. He wasn't scared at all about fighting, in fact, he relished the thought of going up against the NMX again after what they had done to his new home.

Sune considered Hanako's suggestion about having the other squadron ships try to infiltrate. More than one ship trying to enter via stealth the chances of success becomes more remote. But ships entering briefly and then leaving...

"Taisa, perhaps instead of the other ships in the squadron trying to enter covertly, they could instead supply a diversion. Make a feint to get the Mishhu attention while the Eucharis slips in under stealth. It would have the benefit of gettting the Mishhu to expose their positions when they activate a response." Sune offered.

Sune then resumed work on his simulation on his ICP.

Ramiro sat and listened to the questions being thrown around, deciding to stay out of it since he should be transferred before they depart. Being his normal impatient self, he checked his comm for the hundredth time. He breathed a sigh of frustration when he discovered that he still didn't have a response to his request for orders.

Sune continued his research on his ICP. He was reasonably certain that he could configure the sensors on the Eucharis to use an external source for the upcoming mission. If he could get the frequency variances programmed properly the Eucharis would be able to actively scan without transmitting. The ship would in fact be using the enemy sensor beams.

Thinking, hands tucked her chin, Konoka listened acutely to the briefing, the gears of her mind working in constant thought. In the past, she'd had an inkling, a 'sense' that her comrades would come back hurt. Now, it wasn't so much a sense but a latent certainty: Fate did not seem to smile on the Eucharis as much as before. Of course, with her usual pep, Konoka simply, silently promised herself to deal with fate when it came, and make the conscious decision to bring Eucharis some hope. Seriously. So much had happened lately....these war missions were a depressing environment, and....She'd had her first very serious injury. As a medic, she felt a duty to see that the Eucharis cre came back in one piece. And with her friend Ramiro leaving, after so many long missions....Every friend was now more important to her. She'd spent every ounce of time working for their benefit.

This was the use she wanted.

She'd deicate herself to this mission, and whole-heartedly. The NMX had done enough damage already, really. She looked at the faces of the crew before her, wondering: Which will meet ill fate? Which would need her help?

Helping was Konoka's life.

She'd do anything to make that difference that was her goal, to make sure more people weren't hurt by the wretched forces of the NMX. this was what she lived for: Here, she could help people. Help them BEFORE a problem started. She'd do whatever it takes to complete the task before her, whatever fate brought.

"Taisa, do you have a plan as how to proceed with the task of completing these objectives? Something we can start working on now, and quickly. The sooner the better." Konoka said, suprising herself at her own voice. She might have spoken out of turn.....but they needed to move this along!

Fate wasn't waiting.

The silent Taii more or less remained that way.

She had been staring at the same point on the opposite wall ever since she had spoken herself, digesting everything that was being said and processing it carefully. Sadly, although she searched for alternatives, there did not seem to be enough to provide a good, solid plan beforehand. The best she could come up with was that they would just have to 'wing it', and winging it would probably get them killed. It caused her to frown, again.

"Since it's difficult to be subtle without having a point to focus on, let's be obvious," she stated, suddenly. Shifting her legs so that the leg that had been on bottom was now on top, she folded her hands together around her exposed knee. "The other ships in the squadron do not need to attack, to be a diversion. A long-range scan that they could pick up on, or suspicious activity, may be enough to draw out a low-level response. If we can be closer, doing less overt scanning, we may just pick up on an objective we can target, realistically, before they realize the danger."

Ramiro kept glancing at his comm until finally it beeped at him. He opened the message he had received and then let out a sigh. Finally, the system DOES work. He turned his attention back around the room, figuring that he would wait until the briefing was done to share the news. "Taisa, will we be in disguise, or is this one of those hide-in-the-shadows missions?"

Takeyu could feel the tension in the air; it was similar to what he felt many times before back in the private sector. Pressing his back into his chair, he rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

Grabbing information probably won't be to hard, if we can fool the system that is. Likewise, if we were to perhaps turn their own defensive turrets against them that'd be even better, he continued to rub his chin as he thought.

It's plausible that if they sense they'll be losing the battle, they'd try and redline the stations reactor, a simple command override would stop that from happening.... he nodded at his own thinking.

However, I wouldn't know how to do that; my experience is in private sector operating systems and those used by the Star Empire. I wouldn't know what the NMX use as an operating system.... he let out a sigh at his lack of experience and turned his attention back to the briefing. He'd have to ask once everything was over, and if he did get a answer he'd try and figure a few things out.

"We have the shipyard's blueprints, so we should hopefully be able to move around through maintenance tunnels and such without being detected. We can use our holographic stealth to stay unseen. We may also be able to use armors to teleport around. We will need to be flexible and opportunistic. We will begin moving towards the objective in a few minutes."

Sune's smile faded and he gave a mental groan at the Taisa's latest information. It is Veritas, New Elysia and Nataria all over again. Given the past couple of missions track records this looks to be another bloody mess. It seems we keep doing SAINT's job. Once more into the breach to shed our blood for the Empress I suppose.

Sune gave his ICP a few last commands and then powered off the display. This idea will have to wait for another day. He thought.

"Taisa, if we are to depart in a few minutes, I request permission to leave for the bridge. I wish to run a series of diagnostics on the sensors before we get underway." Sune said.

With the briefing almost done and over, Nika mentally took down what Hanako had said, and on noticing that Sune was leaving for the bridge, she decided to follow as well.

"Taisa, I would like to leave for the bridge as well. As much as I trust the port engineers on their repairs, there is still a need to make sure the ship is ready for anything."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back