• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Mission Ten: Takaramono

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Eastern

Nora gives a firm nod of her head even though she knew Alastair couldn't see her. Force of habit for when she took orders in the Academy and Youth Corps I guess you could say. "Will do, sir!" She would respond back over the comms. She then turns her body to face her new exploring partner, Shiro. She looks at Shiro for a second, her mouth open but no words coming out as she tried to remember the question she had heard him ask her. "Uh.." finally some sound would slip from her just as she remembered that he had asked if she was alright. "Ah! Yes, yes, I'm fine." She gives a sheepish smile, her hand raising up to scratch her ear only for her gloved fingers to run into the helmet. She keeps her hand there, her face dropping flat of all expression for a split second as she realizes the stupid thing she just tried to do. A pained smile stretches across her face as her fingers slide down the side of the helmet, trying her best to play it off.

A few moments of silence is exchanged between the two before Nora clears her throat and jerks her head to look back into the room they now had permission to explore. "Well, guess it's just you and me now, Hayawaka-Hei." She says as she lifts her foot and takes her first step into the room. As she walks, it becomes clear her trajectory is for the center of the room. She wanted to get a good look at the place before she decided what to examine more closely.

Perimeter
Chlorate hesitantly looked at Eden and said "A... ffirmative... However... That may present control issues..." She engaged her gravity manipulation system and slowly rose to a comfortable height above the floor, not close enough to the ceiling to crash into it and not close enough to touch the floor. She kicked her mechanical legs around as she lost balance, slowly rotating, though not out of control, frozen (in more ways that one) at the same altitude mid-air. The cold metal robot carefully floated behind Eden, in some awkward gentle spin that looked very strange in combination with her moving through the hall. It wasn't even close to an upright position, she was just keeping her glowing eyes on Eden, following her, free of gravity, while her body bizarrely revolved above the floor as if she was in outer space.

North Eastern

Shiro had a very tiny smile come across his face, as he looked at Nora, glad to hear she was just fine, then watching her slide the fingers down the side of her helmet, which made him a bit curious as to what she was doing, but then realized she might've just had an itchy head or something, and scratched the helmet instead. Soon after sharing the awkward silence, he began to wonder if him asking the question might've been awkward, but then decided either they were both quiet, or she was thinking more in-depth about the situation. Upon hearing her state that they would be checking the room over together, he followed after Nora.

"Ah...Um...That's lovely." He quietly replied, appearing pretty calm about the whole situation, but in reality, being alert in case of ice, or some other hazard.

Southern

"...The hell?" Gravity hissed under her breath, not really quite sure what she was looking at. In her defense, she made ships go "vroom" and guns go "boom". She was no scientist. She went through her digital memories from whatever chemistry/physics knowledge they'd uploaded into her at birth, plus some other, more informal knowledge she'd stumbled across while absentmindedly surfing the net. She did manage to find something about "spin ice". It wasn't much, and she didn't know the meanings of most of the terms, but it did give her a basic idea of what she was seeing.

Exiting her enhanced vision, she looked at the room's other occupants, then to the slush, and placed her hands on her hips.

"Spin ice", which needed a better name, was, to her basic understanding, magnetic. The ice had only really affected Ume, a Neko. Mark and Sacre, who were not Nekos, had made it across with little incident. Nekos used their inertia control to fly. Inertia control worked by controlling electromagnetic fields...

Electromagnetic...

Electro... Magnetic...

Electro...

MAGNETIC!

"I got it!" Gravity cheered and pumped her fist in triumph. Looking over to Ume, she explained: "I don't think we're dealing with demonic, possessed ice here! This stuff is magnetic! When a Neko tries to use her inertia control, it creates a strong electromagnetic field which attracts the magnetic ice! Woo! I am a genius!"

To test her new theory, she moved to the edge of the slush and simply raised herself a foot off the ground.

Perimeter

"Aye aye Shosa." Mikael briefly says to her before he watches the construct obey its command for a moment. He then watches the feed of his drone as he directs it slowly down the hole. Inch by inch, he looks for anything out of the place as the drone slowly descends and spins until it reaches the area where it spreads out.

He has not really been paying a whole lot of attention to the other's radio chatter. But he can guess they have found their own issues to solve.

1st Floor Southern

Ume turned her attention to Gravity when she spoke, with a moment of thinking after her words, Ume had a reasonable idea of what was going on. "Okay...then we can move it out of the way." She then rose up using her inertia control once more and approached the mass. This time, however, she had hard light projections between her and the slush to prevent it from crashing into her. Once she was sure that it was 'locked on' to her she began to move away slowly and try to drag it out of the way if she could, and if not maybe stop the spin and kill the magnetism.

"Yea, I'm pretty sure this temple would be reduced to rubble before those blocks break. If anything, we could dig around it... but something tells me whoever went through the effort of making these solid blocks of supermetal probably would have put in the effort of placing countermeasures for anyone thinking to do otherwise." Darwin hums, raising a hand to the back of his helmet once more.

"But if it really IS a giant puzzle, and there is a mechanism to move these... there's gotta be some sort of control panel somewhere... like... like a mini version of this that's connected to whatever would be able to move these." His hands both move in front of him to form a square shape, one then moving to look like its sliding around inside of it. "I mean... unless it's manual... but... do any of us have the strength to move those blocks?" He looks around at the rest of the team.

Northern

Katsu was quite a bit surprised when Alastair laid his arm around him, his tail going still and not moving anymore at all, the fox a bit confused about this sudden touch. He didn't comment about it though and said "Blowing up anything probably won't help us at all. We are to respect this temple after all, even if we do not believe in the same gods they do... Sir." The last part was quickly added to maintain some formality. He then turned around together with the Officer and gave a quick look towards where Nora had went, trying to get a visual on her to make sure she was doing fine, as he followed Alaytair to Miyako. "Sir, maybe we should move on forward and make sure that the place is safe instead of spending too much time in one room. Of course, I volunteer to scout ahead." Maybe Alastair had read the foxes' dossier, or whatever it would be called in the Star Army, because there it was probably marked that he has a few years experience with being a scout.

Southern

William backed up and quietly observed the team from the rear. With his lack of armor there wasn't much he could do to help. He instead analyzed what he could with his eye.

'So... it's drawn to us via electro magnetics.' He thought to himself, placing his hand on his chin in thought. It was then that he realized it was a mistake. His freezing cold metal hand stuck to the warm skin on his lower lip. William cursed as he turned away and pulled his hand off his face. "Oww!" He hissed.

He turned around and his face burned hot with embarrassment, shoving his hands into his pockets. He hoped, no, prayed no one had saw that...

Southern

Sacre nodded, producing one of her heat blade knives. She switched it on and the blade started to glow with soft radiant heat. She held the blade close enough for the heat to spread to the book, but not close enough to burn it. She moved the knife swiftly so that no one part of the book would heat too quickly.

She glanced upward at William's exclamation. However, she noted he wasn't hurt too badly. "Baka, give me a minute." She said as she returned to her delicate work of warming the book up.

Last edited:
Northern

As Alastair was asked by Katsu about exploring further, Muyomi appeared to look concerned and offered up herself.

“I am good to go with Katsu, Shoi,” said Muyomi in a sing song voice while pulling up the map.

Peregrine asked, "What can we do to solve this puzzle if we can't get to a control panel of sorts that Schultz-hei thinks will exist around here?" Which she realized was less than helpful and added, "I think we can figure out the way to solve it if we can get one of these square blocks near the NorthEastern entrance to the room dug into a hole." She then set her scanner back into her cargo pack and asked, "Can a few of us try to move a block into the open area Miyako-hei created, Belmont Shoi?"

NorthEastern

In the room Nora and Shiro were going into it seemed sort of plain and there was a window on the Eastern wall that was frozen over with a thick layer of whiteish blue ice. There was also a passageway to another more Southern room on the SouthWest side of the room.

Southern

Gravity was moving above the watery ice in such a way that it splayed out towards her and then to either side of her seconds before Ume moved over it on Gravity’s right with her volumetric projection. The result was that there was a bit of slush to the left of Gravity but the majority had centered around Ume. Below where the slush had been and where Gravity could now stand if she so chose to make a five foot descent, there was a floor of ice and nothing more.

Where the floor ascended to the Eastern portion of the room, it was much like the lip of shore at a lake or ocean, going up gradually. The other side of the room, directly in front of the podium, the slush remained to a marginal degree and there was a more steep, angular wall and then platform on which the podium was.

As the book warmed on the podium, it became soggy but after a good while, the pages where movable.

Perimeter

The drone went down far enough to be able to see that there was a cavern a little 150 metes and 500 feet. His readings would then show a large open chamber the audio pickup was triangulating something much further than the 30 meter range of the drone in the SouthEast area of the large open chamber. The visual pickup showed the chamber to be empty save for thousands of stalactites, much like the hallway between Mikael and the hole his drone had gone under.

Eden and Chlorate found nothing throughout the Northern area of the perimeter and Eden looked back to check on Chlorate several times despite her suit's sensors' abilities to pick up the AI in the altered Emma body. She wanted Chlorate to know she was looking out for her.

Southern

Yoshida had been... oddly silent, tensed up during the exploration of the temple and the southern regions. Even when asked to take command, she utterly spaced out, lost on a runaway train of thought as she followed the group, robitically performing standard sweeps for potential enemies in the temple after the main groups passed through. Though she wasn't paying much attention herself, unbeknownst to her it could have worked to casth anyone that intended to take the main group by suprise by laying in wait, if she wasn't paying so below the minimum attention level required to not bump into somone she didn't know was there. So many things on the little cat's mind, yet so few thoughts of actual importance and substance flowing through that noggin of hers.

Of course, the inevitable happened as she shook herself out of that now familiar fog. It wasn't the time to be standing around, of course! Just... time to focus. "Right... okay, where to check next." She knew of course, the main group lead by Ume was exploring a slush filled room, but surely they had that covered. A grunt like her wouldn't make much of a difference in such an endevour, so instead she gently hopped to the ground and started her low to the ground skidding along as she sent Ume a message directly.

"Hey! Sorry about... well, accedently pushing command onto you earlier- I wasn't feeling myself. I'm going to be taking Lauren Strong and heading to check something out... If you need anything of me let me know!" This was of course, followed by collecting said neko Luaren. "Let's see if we find something cool." She said as she looked at the icey walls of the temple. It would be a wonder if they don't all look like frost burned packets of quick-make steam buns by the time they get back to the ship.

Southern

"Awesome! I was right!" Gravity giggled as the slush was swept away by combined nekos-breaking-physics-awesomeness. She shot a glance sideways at Will, biting her cheek to keep herself from laughing. Seeing he was embarrassed, she wouldn't draw attention to it. She gave him a small wink with the hidden message: I didn't see a thing.

Coming down back to the ground, she starred into the now-vacant pit. Somehow, she felt that actually going in there could be a bad idea. She'd heard that there were holes that went down hundreds of feet in this temple. What if there was a big one right beneath the ice, and it wasn't thick enough to support someone walking on it? Nekos could float, sure, but she felt that they should still try to avoid breaking stuff for the sake of their non-Neko crewmates.

Last edited:
Northern

Alastair noticed Katsu tense up from his actions. He was not surprised his reaction but that was the entire point of his. Just got to break the ice so get past the formal rank in order to start building that bond with your crew.

"That is a perfect idea Katsu, go and scout around. We should not take long here and follow shortly. I hope you do not mind having Muyomi keep you company. She has opted to follow your lead." He said to him with a smile.

Alastair walked away from fluffy tail and more towards Peregrine. "That is a great plan. I can picture this as some kind of puzzle game. So without too much brute force be able to solve it." He commented as he walked past her hands behind his back. He started to trace the blocks to understand the size and location of each. "Just be ready in cause moving a block into that spot triggers a trap." He said with a voice of concern.

Southern

William cursed to himself. Of course they saw and of course Sacre saw. "No no, I'm fine." He said, attempting to not focus on his stinging lip. "What's that book all about?" He asked stepping closer. William then noticed Gravity's wink and he smiled sheepishly. 'Cats out the bag anyway.' He thought quietly to himself.

He stared at the ice bed where the slush once was. "Slow and steady..." He said to himself. The Nepleslian really didn't want to take the express elevator down to the bottom of the temple. He tentatively placed a foot onto the ice and slowly applied pressure, looking for cracks as he did. He repeated this over and over as he crossed the frozen lake bottom.

Perimeter
Chlorate floated above the floor, behind Eden. She was slowly trying to right herself, turning until she was no long upside-down, though unstably wobbling mid-air in a way that looked like she was trying to balance on top of something. She stared at her feet wobbling around as she followed Eden, asking "What location are we on route to"?

Perimeter

Mikael looks at the readings and cocks his head to the side a bit. "This is a bit odd, really need to figure a way to increase the sensor output of these things..." He thought to himself.

"There appears to be another chamber underneath us. Audio is picking something up to the southeast, investigating." He reports to the others, he waits for input from the others before he edges the drone towards the audio source. He pans around as he waits, trying his best to map out and overlay it with existing maps.

Northern

As he was given permission to scout ahead, the fox nodded and quickly said "No Sir, I don't mind some company." before he looked over to Muyomi, giving her a nod. He didn't knew much about her, other than that she outranked him and that she was one of those Nekovalkyrja. Katsu gave the room one last look and looked towards where Nora had disappeared, silently hoping that things here would be alright, before he walked forward and out of the room, heading further north.

As he left the room, he looked over to Muyomi and said "Ma'am, you please keep an eye out on the map and guide me, I'll keep my eyes peel for any dangers." before he drawed his service pistol to hold it with one hand, keeping the palm weapon at his other hand ready. Sure, he thought that testing out the new suit's weapons should be done as well, but now that he wasn't surrounded by others, he wanted to have a pistol that he know he could trust with him, just in case. He didn't activate the stealth field though, not wanting to risk not being seen by Muyomi, but made sure to keep his flight systems on in case he somehow fell down somewhere.

1st Floor South

Ume let out a relieved sigh when with Gravity's help, they were able to move the slush. There was nothing strange underneath, but at least now they knew for the future how to handle it for sure. She moved the slush to a separate location and looked for another depression to store it in.

Her head turned to face Yoshida though when she received her message. "It's fine, but I don't know a lot about being a leader, so I might need you, so stay in touch too. And don't go getting killed." Ume then sent a little chibi to give Yoshida a thumbs up.

She then spoke to everyone in the group over the comms "We need to not spend too much time here, so everyone check to make sure there's nothing else in the room once we have the pages of the book backed up we'll move on."

The Santo Hei had taken it upon himself to wander about the room, scanning everything he can in hopes of finding at least a clue if not a solution. A rhythmic plunking sound rings out as he racks his finger against the bottom of his helmet, pondering every which possibility. His brows had furrowed, and the two amber orbs in his head were practically blurs as they dashed about. Though they were frantic, his pace was slow, each of his steps in time with the taps on his helmet while he paced. First his heel would meet the ground, then the toe, his movements almost mechanical. His gaze did not keep to the floor, or the walls at face level, no, they rose up towards the upper walls and the ceiling for some sort of sign.

At one point or two, he would spin on his heels to face the intricate pattern on the floor. He'd step back once or twice, pause, and then turn back around again. The gears had begun to turn once more. Then the question of "Why" came up in the back of his head. The Chusa mentioned some sort of opening underneath this area. Something must be hidden down there and locked in a puzzle for a reason. Perhaps it's a test of wisdom of sorts? Perhaps it's to lock something away that only the worthy - the educated - could bear witness to? Darwin was becoming more and more curious, infatuated at what possibilities may lie underneath. "You know, it reminds me of the puzzles back at home. You know, the ones with the big piece that you've gotta get to the bottom... thing is, there's one more piece to this... so I really doubt that the goal is the same. So this is all a matter of which section of the puzzle we want to open up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back