• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OOC] Cirrus Station Discussion

There once was a cyborg called Ace,
who wooed women at every base,
But once they took a glance at,
His special enhancement,
They vanished with nary a trace!

I don't know but I've been told,
Deirdre's got a Network Node.
Likes to press the on-off switch,
Dig that crazy Gaian witch!

Yay double post!

Hey moonie, as much as the utter futility of anything that we try and do is a reoccuring theme here on Cirrus, did you say that the Variable Weapon is effective out to a kilometer. How is that consistent with not being able to hit something at little more then knife fight range? Unless the hanger is literally more then ten stories tall (~30 meters).

Edit: also, if the tunnels can accommodate a junker, then shouldn't they be able to handle anything on the station short of an ID-SOL? Those junkers on the manifest average half a meter in each dimension. I'm not saying that it would be comfortable, but they you should be able to fit with some squeezing, especially if one of the people concerned is a nearly midget contortionist...

I'll chime in with a question too!

Are all recording devices, security cameras, observation methods, down? And I mean, off, inoperable, impossible to retrieve data from or record data to?

And I am admitting here that I am not seeing any other way out other than those vents or through the twelve angry m- uh, eight murderous women.

Maybe this would be easier to navigate if it was a video game, but I'm nervous to make a move because the stairs are already not what I pictured. I thought it was an open staircase, like those metal industrial ones that run along a wall, not an enclosed one. That's why I had Tweak lean back the way she did and why I was so very surprised she wasn't spotted.

Is it possible to pause this until we all know what we're going to do? I'm having problems with a fast character and a slow posting rate. They don't mesh.

Rico's profile said:
"Rico loves to see his efforts rewarded with reaction."
Scarlet's profile said:
"-deploying excessive violence against small injustices-"
This could be... interesting. >_>

*ahem*

Since the vents themselves are a half-meter wide, I'd assume that the Junkers are specifically modified to get around in them. As for people, I figured somebody would be able to fit inside without the CSS's backpack because they could crawl on an angle; Hence how ma' Spacer got in.

Kevyn said:
Hey moonie, as much as the utter futility of anything that we try and do is a reoccuring theme here on Cirrus, did you say that the Variable Weapon is effective out to a kilometer. How is that consistent with not being able to hit something at little more then knife fight range? Unless the hanger is literally more then ten stories tall (~30 meters).

The hanger is pretty tall, since it is a docking port for ships of several different types.

And the reoccurring theme on the Cirrus isn't the futility of all of your actions, it's the futility in relying on your equipment to save the day for you. I haven't explained it as much as I would've liked, but a large part of the Cirrus is becoming dependent on your character's personal skills and creativity, and not on their weapons. You have terrible weapons and equipment, but you do have a large station with contents left to the imagination, and a GM who is willing to negotiate most ideas or items into an episode on request.

So yes, your original weapons will not be as effective as you would've hoped in this particular episode...but you are in an experimental armament design facility. Use your imagination, and I can easily have it come into play if it sounds nice.
Kevyn said:
Edit: also, if the tunnels can accommodate a junker, then shouldn't they be able to handle anything on the station short of an ID-SOL? Those junkers on the manifest average half a meter in each dimension. I'm not saying that it would be comfortable, but they you should be able to fit with some squeezing, especially if one of the people concerned is a nearly midget contortionist...
Truth be told, I thought junkers were much smaller than that. Scrap the junker part then; not all of you are going to be able to travel around via vent.

MissingNo said:
Are all recording devices, security cameras, observation methods, down? And I mean, off, inoperable, impossible to retrieve data from or record data to?

That hasn't been explained yet, but it's safe to say that if the Savtechs can't get to you, not much is being seen around the area you are in.

MissingNo said:
And I am admitting here that I am not seeing any other way out other than those vents or through the twelve angry m- uh, eight murderous women.

Maybe this would be easier to navigate if it was a video game, but I'm nervous to make a move because the stairs are already not what I pictured. I thought it was an open staircase, like those metal industrial ones that run along a wall, not an enclosed one. That's why I had Tweak lean back the way she did and why I was so very surprised she wasn't spotted.

It was stated earlier that Cyril's makeshift maintenance opened two doors, and afterward it was mentioned that third door in the Observation room corridor had opened.
Noboru, Claire and the newly arrived Scarlet wouldn't have much time to talk. To their immediate left, a door that had been previously closed to them quickly shot open. This door, on the opposite end of the hall containing the (still nonfunctional) elevator door and small secondary staircase, led back the way Squad 35 had came, further into the Cirrus' Weapon labs. The sound carried well enough so that even Tweak could make it out from her position at the bottom of the staircase.

Think of the corridor most of you are in as a simple rectangle with four doors. One on the left is the elevator door as well as the door to the staircase (which is enclosed, but is the winding staircase you mentioned), in the bottom-middle is the Observation room door, and the other is this newly opened door leading further into the station.

That first part of your post gives me a vague "Dead Rising" feeling, Moonie.

I like it when I get vague "Dead Rising" feelings, it means I get a sandbox of destruction for my characters to rampage around in.

You know, there's a fine line between encouraging us to think on our feet and outright sadism. ;)

I can understand the VW not doing squat to the armor of the Uniques. I was figuring that was the case from the get go. I'm just baffled that we can't seem to hit squat from relatively close range. Hell, even something like the PPSh-41, which was a rattly, often shoddily made bullet hose, could reliably hit something at a hundred meters.

But whatever, you're the GM. I'll run with it. (time to switch to sidearm, methinks...)

Just one other thing before I start on my post:

Moonman said:
Truth be told, I thought junkers were much smaller than that. Scrap the junker part then; not all of you are going to be able to travel around via vent.
Does that mean that Cyril can, or cannot get around by air vent? It's a little poorly worded as to whether or not it's a complete admonishment or just a limit on who can do it.

Not just Cyril, but the other diminutive/slender people of the squad as well.

Or should we just try and let you tell us if we can fit, Moonie?

In anycase, I can forsee a lot of people stripping off their CSS armor so they can go into the smaller vents...

(And she totally would do that too.)

Speaking of which... I can't seem to find the motivation to post right now. Or the few times that I do, I don't have the time. So... please don't wait for me or anything.

The only problem is trying to get the big guy out, I don't think he can fit in anything except the cloths he is wearing.

Hey Moonie, since you wanted us to think on our feet, I'm going to try and go forward with that bad idea I mentioned earlier. If that's not kosher, let me know and I'll change my post to reflect that. If it is, then I leave it to you to decide just how badly maimed Cyril will be by the fall. I don't have a clue what the size of the hanger is relative to the freighter, so I left it, aha, up in the air.

This isn't working for me. This is too visual for me, and I'm going to need a map to be sure I'm picturing this right.

All I know is that we're in a FPS-style situation and I'm not receiving all the information I need. It might be that the information isn't being given, but I'm suspecting that it's more likely I'm just not getting that info from what I'm reading for one reason or another and it's very, very frustrating. Text is not working as an appropriate medium for this situation.

Thanks, Kevyn. That helps a little, but it is also a little late. Opportunities have passed.

A combat scenario with more than four, maybe five, characters including my own makes it hard for me to track who is where doing what when and how. This just isn't something I can keep up with without constant map updates. The tracking and reaction problems I had in the stainball game seems to just have been a precursor to this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back