• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OoC] Miharu Discussion thread

Yeah, the actual observation room. I thought we crossed through Melisson's bedroom to get to said room, so that's the way Yukari was going.

Not much new here aside from some extra musings.

Samus Aran has it easy with her powersuit: she can just materialize and dematerialize it at will. We don't have that luxury, nor to I think the rest of SARP really approves of nanite-cloud construction like the PHALANX or liquid formations like the M8 Nadia.

Still, I want to improve the time to board it. If from the top takes too long and is too cumbersome in the field, and that from behind isn't possible because of the presence of optional module attachments there... it looks to me like front open-closure is the way to go.

This is pretty hard to beat as far as fast-boarding a power armor goes.

As far as general look for the Kishi, it seems to me like I'm going in the general direction of a build like the power suits from Section 8.

I'm not sure if I'm all about the front-boarding aspect of a power armor. For some reason it feels a little... Exposed. I'm not sure if that's completely a relevant thought there, but that's what I thought when I saw the video. Still, I can't think of a speedier way of entry other than the bottom, which would require the torso expand a bit to compensate for the arms to slide through. Also, it's kind of degrading to slip into a power armor through the butt.

What if the optional real modules weren't connected to the flat of the back? Instead, having several support struts lining the sides of the vertibrae (or spaced out from the center, whichever). When the armor splits open to accept the pilot, the support struts just release one side to allow any back-encompassing add-ons to be out of the way. Thus, we could theoretical enter from the back.

Also, I'm digging the idea of using the Section 8 model. Is it just the design, or are we going to be half-mecha like the game?

I'm not sure I can afford opening in the back. It's not just a matter of modules, but also the inner workings of the backbone of the said power armor, from hip support to the SPINE interface to the usual position for the power supply the back modules are supposed to tap into, the life support system and the units computer. Not to mention opening from the back as you said it feels mechanically more cumbersome.

I can relate with your doubts about having seams in the front. After all, I thought about it and tried to balance that. I don't think having seams in the flexible parts of the armor would be much of a problem; it's the plating that's more of an issue.

I did have a few ideas I could pursue, such as having the chestplate/helmet region flip up at the shoulder instead of splitting in two... but it has its caveats. The strongest solution I've found so far involves interlocking components.

As for the Section 8 power suit... frankly, I just stumbled on Section 8 while browsing for videogame news and some of the stylistic traits came up to me as ideal ones to pursue - though it's not an exact fit. It's more a direction of where all the parts and ideas browsed through so far might be assembled. As for half-mecha... I'm afraid I don't know Section 8 enough to give a good answer.

If Yamataian armors are sleek and sexy, and Nepleslian armors are stout and badass... I'm kind of aiming to combine the keywords 'sleek' and 'badass' here. There are still several elements from the Samus power suit and the BGC hardsuits I want to preserve... if only for the sake of KFY design lineage.

I know. It's kinder on whatever surface you end up sitting on (bridge chairs, ha!)... but I was planning the more flexible portions of the armor to have more segmented banded portions like on Samus' power suit. That's almost like ablative scales, I guess.

The musculature is no doubt there, but having it exposed this much detracts from the sleek/streamlined styling I want to preserve.

In Section 8, the Power Armor is much like the power armor in Starcraft, hands and feet only extend down so far, and are actually encased in the forearms and calves. That's why the guy in that picture is over six feet tall.

Well, I was at it again, doodling during breaks.

ai290.photobucket.com_albums_ll277_Zoberraz_Miharu_sketchy_05.jpg

This is more text than anything else, with me brainstorming what would be good as far as ship-size torpedo countermeasures could be useful... as well as fleshing out the Matter Collection System that I discussed a couple of posts up.

The sketch at the bottom is a sideways simplified view of how I imagined the thing would be like. Of course, side cutaways can only show so much when there's stuff I want to have on the same deck. ~_~

ai290.photobucket.com_albums_ll277_Zoberraz_Miharu_sketchy_06.jpg

Here I start trying to detail the engine components of the ship. Up is just external partial sketches of the region involved. The lower some simplified part layout with ship outlines, in the center a backview of the ship, and to the right just me trying to picture the conenctions between the gravimetric drive, the engine room and the main STL thruster.

Immediately down, you see some tentative details on the gravimetric drive. This one's pretty hard for me, since there's really not much in the way of scientific theory on what creates gravity and how to generate it in ways other than centrifugal force. CFS-like gyroscopes and turbine-like elements might support sci-fi technobabble some if I desire to stay away from detail-lacking 'box of components that flies the ship'.

Then some very rough outlines about how I tohught to wset up the aetheric tap and generator assembly, the work area around it, and a preliminary top view of the engine room proper with the section to the side extending to the main STL thruster, and the other to the aft having most of the fold drive systems.

ai290.photobucket.com_albums_ll277_Zoberraz_Miharu_sketchy_07.jpg

Here lies more meaty stuff, where I really got into it, though it's hardly finalized.

First, I tackled my aether generator and - following on Wes' ideas of two flower-like assemblies coming together and aether coming to be in a field generated inbetween them, with a circular casing enveloping it all with scalar shielding materials, cooling lines, and so on.

Directly below is a side view of the aether core chamber... It's spaced on 3 decks and I wanted to have people ascend/descend from the main floor to attend to the peripheral components of the ship's main source of power.

Immediately to the right is a larger top-view drawing of the starboard engineering section. More refined, with ties to the workshop I mentioned before in relation to the power armor containers. Aft is the fold drives and other components from hyperspace comm system to thruster assemblies, the fusion fuel cell supporting it, some sensors, the walkways for the techs working around there, and some rear-lateral sensor placement.

There are other pictures, including a sideview and rear view. Those show one of the landing gear - not something you see illustrated in SARP ships often - and to the top you might also notice heat exchangers leading to coolant lines and heatsinks right next to the top of the hull.

I had another try of the engineering section's top view below, trying some elements differently and trying to get it all to come together better.

I'll admit to some inspiration coming from Mass Effect's Normandy SR-2 in regard to the drive core/aether generator... though I'm trying to get a distinct look of my own. The fold drive assembly is strongly inspired from a piece of unused Star Trek (2009 movie) concept art.

ai290.photobucket.com_albums_ll277_Zoberraz_Miharu_sketchy_08.jpg

Next is a partial side view of the ship, with a cutaway below. I was feeling I lacked details as far as where some of the ships sensors were, so, I started positioning some.

You should be able to see precursor locations for torpedo and probe launchers which are pretty close together (the boxes below are containers tied to the matter collection system). Further to the front of the curve as some sensors, such as a neutrino telescope and a bunch of fixed assemblies such as an Infrared Spectrometer, Subspace Sensor Array and Ionized Radiation Sensors.

Right at the nosetip is a fore reinforcement of the ship's shields which will serve to deflect debris to protect the ship when she goes to high speeds.

Wait, Gally if Yuzuki doesn't have her gauss anymore then why did she make mention of it when she was suggesting the suicide mission?

Blas, if you ever take something out of Miharu, please take this:

Stop doing walls of text orders. I'm hearing player complaints over that from people too polite to bring it up, but annoyed to have the obvious pointed to them or to read through the italicized brick.

I know you used telepathy to 'have the time'. I know you went into more detail because you also wanted more control (control insures less stuff gets screwed up), but you're going to have to find a better way of delivering that's not exhaustive. Right now, the tendency seems to be that people skin and gloss over it, and wish they could dismiss it - and that kind of sabotages your intent. Sometimes, less is more.

It may be a non-issue as far as this engagement and the rest of the mission goes, but you may want to lean a bit toward Yukari's style of assigning goals and objectives, with broader strokes as far as the specifics go with scant precisions for when it becomes absolutely necessary.

Usually, that allows other commanders below Nyton (Tom's a shining example of that, with how he was leading Yuzuki and Rin and makes the occasional shoutouts to others) to have the precisions delegated to them.

I'd like you to strike a balance there. It's not my first time mentioning it and after the mention you do improve... but after awhile, you appear to easily return to 'old habits'. Just pointing it out to you, man.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back