Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

@Wes
Did you just update the CSS? Either my end is being weird or you have updated it and just broke it since this is a client-side override.
To explain, client-side overrides can be stopped by server-side CSS. The server's idea of what this CSS should do and my client's idea of what it should do are different. But if your server has the same code, my client won't try to run it because it thinks its already being done.

@Wes
Did you just update the CSS? Either my end is being weird or you have updated it and just broke it since this is a client-side override.
To explain, client-side overrides can be stopped by server-side CSS. The server's idea of what this CSS should do and my client's idea of what it should do are different. But if your server has the same code, my client won't try to run it because it thinks its already being done.
No idea why this post is in an art thread, but no, I haven't changed any CSS lately.

Rebooted. Seems to be behaving. And now it isn't again.

Spooky.

Edit:

So TextEdit is a bust: Even in PlainText mode, TextEdit actually leaves a lot of bullshit invisible characters behind that totally throws Safari's CSS interpreter, making it panic and ignore everything. Instead, grab Chocolat or Sublime Text 2 when you do this instead of just pasting the result into TextEdit.

Oy.

Last edited:
Learnings are happening.
Trying to make a data-slate or data-pad out of polymorphic structol glass with a single permanent part, the metal at the top which has a power-cell and a miniature hardlight projector. The glass IS the computer, so to speak of the device so its kind of interesting and I'm going to have to see what shapes I can come up with for it.

I reference the device a lot in my roleplay and Aiesu is almost never seen without one so I figured I'd use this super simple project to learn more about shaders and textures, as well as physically based rendering which is kind of long overdue of me: The last time I went anywhere near that stuff was those planet renders way back when.

Seriously Osaka, its 2015. Life's been really fucking rough but now you're going to have a decent machine that's no excuse surely: Get it together.

fetch.php

upload_2015-9-7_23-53-52.webp

The metal still looks hella plastic which sucks. The polymorphic glass and UI (Modo loads PSDs and reloads on save so I can edit custom textures to my heart's content! :D) are looking *really* nice though, going for this sort of "painted on yet it glows" look.

Goddamn this shit is cool but fuck me it makes my computer cry.

Last edited:
upload_2015-9-8_0-9-59.webp

Seriously, it really really really does make my computer cry. This render took like seven iterations to get the effect right, each taking 12 mins.

This is the display image in its basic diffuse color form. There's also diffuse roughness, luminosity amount and luminosity count as well as a fairly cruddy roughness map. Sadly, I can't really do much more than I am now before the system chugs like crazy so photorealistic renders are gonna be pretty rare. Instead, I'm probably going to see if I can do something in marmoset which is basically software that renders stuff the same way a game engine does but with a sort of "half render" that has a shitty frame-rate but often "good enough" looks.

I'm debating making the slate an item for sale in game if anyone's interested. Its running LA+ OS which is open source in-game so don't worry about any nasty back-doors or weird lazarus fuckery: We're not Google or Microsoft :P

Before I finish up on this texturing exersize I still need to learn about vector displacement (what's the point of polymorphic glass if you can't make a physical keyboard), a few other alternative shapes and forms and how to create a volumetric-esque holographic image, which I have a feeling is driven by a combination of stencil maps to blank out the geometry where the image isn't, then layered luminosity effects and color stuff. I figure I'm gonna use the iDroid in MGS as a template to work on, with the physical body of this thing being a task-switcher/background task and input device.

I also figure I might work on some wearable stuff for it: Try to imagine a cheap nicotine patch looking thing that translates subvocalization (the movement of muscles when speaking out loud in your head, which can be used like a silent text to speech) or a neural system likely in the form of a head-band or something that sits on the jawline and cheekbone comparing different perspectives of brain activity looking into the head while the thing on the cheekbone beams an image directly on the back of the retina. We could put sensors on the cheekbone unit and augment someone's vision non-invasively. I think it would be interesting.

ai.imgur.com_QpsP89y.webp

This is all thanks to help from @Jimmy @Moogle @DocTomoe @Luca @Born-On-Board and @DocTomoe and @Eistheid who've kept me sane over the last few months and given me my motivation back and a helping hand and the tools to work again on stuff to grow as an artist instead of circling the drain doing the same old shit.

The map:
upload_2015-9-8_9-56-25.webp

The preview (looking good)

upload_2015-9-8_9-55-19.webp

O-Oh...

upload_2015-9-8_9-53-10.webp

ascontent_lhr3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xtp1_v_t1.0_9_11947577_1acd895960155a15fdb90709d220c0e9d.webp

Whoops.

Lesson learned: Displacement is not the way forwards. The good news is I now have a way of adding micro-cellular detail if I want to disrupt a surface with a property that is not roughness, like I did with my planets but a 2k displacement map is not a clever thing to do on a computer that's got less 8GB of RAM and 1GB of video memory but its not *REALLY* meant to be a high resolution solution anyway. The bad news is it makes my computer cry oh my god that fucking render time it took an hour and it normally takes 6 minutes this is why I hate textures so much.

If this effect here is what I was going for, I think I nailed it.

So when I've been trying out Quixel (a very very special addon for Photoshop), the big problem I had was my UV-islands (UV is the extra two dimensions before XYZ that define which polygons your texture appears on) it didn't understand UV-seams, where the package didn't line up because I use what's called the Catmull Clark method (not unpacking neatly but instead into lots of totally seperate islands because I prioritize texture fidelity over flow).

Well... Quixel didn't understand that. In fact, when I did try, this happened:

upload_2015-9-8_16-17-47.webp

Those silvery seams are my UV islands. Rendered in Marmoset btw which is purdy.

Well, I had a talk with the people who develop the software a few months ago and asked about it and apparently lots of people were verry very unhappy with this.

Well, they just fixed it by following the same solution Substance does: By allowing you to use manual projection. Manual projection is in a nutshell, painting. Now I hear you asking: "Why not do that in photoshop?"

Well, x reasons:

1. That means I'm painting four to six different maps with different rules that describe their properties with different colors, gradients and effects and for it to look right, all of them have to align to the same spot. Photoshop can't really do that without advanced scripting and that's why nobody does it this way.
  2. Even if I could do all that, I then have the problem of layering, meaning separate materials are going to behave differently and therefor incorrectly since most of these maps rely on a contrast between white black which DEMANDS transparency. You layer transparency and all you get is MESS.
  3. Photoshop is terrified of Normalmaps.

Quixel 2.0 is...
+ $45
+ For life.
+ Hella fukken cheap and disruptive to the market
+ Comes with new materials as time comes
+ 3DO baker might be awesome if its GPU supported
- But it might not be. Oh.
- Actually quite limited
+ Comes with an amazing Normal Map editor
- Takes forever to generate/spawn dynamics
- CPU Dependent
+ Metal physically based rendering support
- Questionable diaelectric physically based rendering support
+ Fucking Megascans holy shit
+ No seriously Megascans is incredible
+ Automatic tools for converting portions of a tesselating image into normal/bump
+ Very automated
- Quite slow (the computer does a lot of the work)​

Substance Designer 5, Painter 1 is..
- around $2000.
+ A far more mature fully featured product
- Have to buy new materials/substances
+ CUDA accelerated dyamics
+ An absolutely godly generator system based on shader nodes and generators
+ Modo can read Substance documents natively and update in realtime
+ Resolution Independent (can work in 1k/2k, uprez into 4k)
+ Happy with you changing uv maps or models (Level of Detail is now a doddle)
+ GPU dependent
+ Supports both OpenGL and DirectX Normalmap standards (big if I want to use marmoset or Unreal)
+ Supports both metal and dialectric (non-metal) physically based rendering
+ Supports Modo's live tesselation libraries and can talk with Terragen (shit I made the planet in)
+ Can convert any image into a live tessellating dynamic substance (horeyshit!!)
-/+ Very manually driven (you do a lot of the work)
+ Very very fast​

I'm going to torrent and try both if I'm honest. I'm probably going to get Quixel 2.0 eventually just for the live normalmap editing and Megascans.

...And I might use Substance on the sly, since I'm already learning it and my uses aren't for profit anyway.

tl;dr:
Shit is going to get turnt when my GPU turns up and I can start using NVidia's CUDA coprocessor capabilities to accelerate (aka make human-usable and not take 40 minutes for a single-brushstroke, since they're all designed FOR CUDA) not only Substance Designer/Painter but also Modo, MeshFusion and ZBrush considering I've spent like the last year studying how physically based rendering works.

TL;DR2:
You've taunted me long enough with your low prices, excellent gaming functionality, your unreliability when rendering and fucking miserable workstation capabilities you sad sorry sack of autocombustable easybake kernelpanic budget horseshit with your fucking shitty standards support. Yes you're the good guys in this "proprietary vs open" stuff but goddamn at least get your acts together.

tl;dr/tl;dr: Texturing is a whole magnitude more system and user demanding than modelling. Seriously.

Last edited:
ai.imgur.com_UdW5Nzk.webp

Concept for @Wes Kuvexian species, as well as an expansion on his writeup here. Might ram it into blur and paint over it in a bit to tidy it up but the general idea is there.

Attachments

• ai.imgur.com_KYgcgOv.webp
    ai.imgur.com_KYgcgOv.webp
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
ai.imgur.com_JxuqkOm.webp

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT @Moogle INTRODUCED ME TO THIS KICK ASS PIECE OF SOFTWARE CALLED LAZY NEZUMI THAT ADDS A SPECIAL KIND OF LAG TO YOUR CURSOR THAT SMOOTHENS THE ROUGHNESS OF YOUR LINES OUT

I CAN ACTUALLY DO PROPER LINEART LIKE A GROWNUP INSTEAD OF HATING MY HAND. SEE, I GOT MY HAND CAUGHT IN A MACHINE WHEN I WAS ABOUT ELEVEN AND THE WHOLE THING GOT DETATCHED AND EVER SINCE MY HAND HAS TREMBLED LIKE CRAZY BUT THIS MAKES ALL THAT GO AWAY HOLY SHIT I HAVEN'T FELT THIS ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT 2D IN YEARS I MEAN SHIT I GOT TOLD I COULDN'T GO TO ART SCHOOL BECAUSE MY LINES WERE TOO WONKY

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

#OHMYGOD

upload_2015-11-16_5-59-23.webp

Finally got the tablet working with the laptop I'm using. Did a sketch of Aiesu, my main.
It isn't lewd, I'm just way too lazy to draw clothes tonight (its like 5:59am, don't judge me).

Feels weird signing my name for the first time since 2007.

Trivia: Ketsuri Yui personally declared war on this person in a back and forth of messages. Yes, this happened. Yui apparently thinks Aiesu is terrifying. No, she's just a 48 yearold shortass who likes writing software that makes Yamatai unhappy. I mean shit, she couldn't run from them if she wanted to (...she'sadoubleamputeeitsfunnybecauseofthat)

Last edited:
Can't stand the face in this one (didn't spend enough time on it) and my style is still super scatty/unfigured out but here the real all was trying to explain Aiesu's bodytype with a bit of lulzy cheesecake. If I have more privacy, I might try to fix it at some point.

I need to draw her more and kill these inconsistencies in her character design.

ai.imgur.com_uDwnY6y.webp

Last edited:
As a joke with a friend on Tumblr HerringGynoid, I did a shitty doodle of the Type Zero from Patlabor before going to bed (we're both big fans of mecha girls).
a36.media.tumblr.com_2e2d74fad57ed14abf2a70552a5b16da_tumblr_inline_nzjjeruSl61qfagxt_500.webp

And then the next morning, I awaken to find this in my inbox:

upload_2015-12-19_20-4-49.webp

Yeah. When the Winter II's done, I'm getting nose-art/pinupart done as an emblem. Hu hu hu.

Gonna try doing some fanart of his gynoid OC 2D waifu Merci when everybody's gone to bed.

Eventually, I'd like to 3D model her for him when the computer's fixed. Would be fun.

@Moogle thanks for introducing us.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back