Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

upload_2016-4-11_6-53-2.webp

I felt my last forum avatar wasn't intimidating enough.

Blend tools are beautiful for painting. Manual jpeg artefacting is a giant GIANT bitch to do.

I love my tablet. I love my new computer.

The guys called it a potato, so I made a custom wallpaper for it of a heart-shaped potato.
I love you potato prince.

upload_2016-4-11_6-53-58.webp

upload_2016-4-11_6-55-37.webp

Nothing too insane but the socket is the same as an i7.

Picking up my 16GB of RAM and GPU today from my old machine, getting husbando to install it.

#habbenin

ascontent_lhr3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xft1_v_t1.0_9_12985503_1442db7c176a3e9e94182b00c20e87df8.webp

Compositing experiment to see how artists waaaaay better than be shade and blend different objects. Her face is about 9 different elements from different paitnings, her hands and arms are from different places, so on and so forth. Good extraction practice too.

I would start over from memory and try to paint it from what I remember, buuuut...

ascontent_lhr3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_hphotos_xpf1_v_t1.0_9_13001216_17c7172ab8d9241a13d5ce9d701517c0c.webp

This happened. #oh

Concept for a light-speed starfighter. I use the term tightly because by light-speed fighter, it can corner and maneuver at FTL speeds (even if it can't engage in full combat at those speeds) and it is able to move from one star to another due to its extreme range, making it capable of interstellar travel - putting the star in starfighter.

The look of this awful pointy piece of low poly garbage is equal parts Val'ta to fighter-jet. The prongs are big field controllers, so it can alter the pressure of space the same way real wings use air pressure to create lift and torque for turning. Given most gravity control fields are also defensive fields when used properly, I think this would have a lot more energetic defense than it does physical defense -- a kind of elegant glass cannon fighter that can deal with serious hurt right up until the point it can't with no in-between.

I figure in terms of engagement, it excels at jumping in, dishing out hurt then jumping back out when its taken a beating before its barriers collapse.

In terms of loadout, here's what we're looking at:

1. One gimballed sniper-cannon on the bottom for opening engagements or ground support - probably a rail-cannon with variable loading payloads
  2. Four forward plasma vulcans, tucked behind the canards. Able to tilt upward up to 60 degrees. Ends can be vectored an additional 15 degrees for shot correction. Quite accurate, low damage: Death through attrition
  3. A second set of four plasma vulcans, tucked outside the canards. Able to rotate freely.
  4. Two forward cannons, to get the job done - one inside each of the prongs for concentrated firepower to make a killing blow or when closing range, doubles up as part of swordfish, an FTL ramming technique
  5. Six externally held missiles or weapons-pods at the wing roots

Doesn't take a genius to figure out I've been hitting the shmups pretty hard does it?

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:lazarus:lightspeedstarfighter

ai.imgur.com_q6lbVgM.webp
ai.imgur.com_Hvuf25S.webp
ai.imgur.com_5wVlsEs.webp

ai.imgur.com_CeosYJZ.webp
ai.imgur.com_MrhbH3r.webp
ai.imgur.com_H9c3rIt.webp
ai.imgur.com_n1RSrf3.webp
ai.imgur.com_7KT6i7N.webp

So yeah, that happened.

Last edited:
Quantum Eventual Perception/'Pitagora' phenomenon

The capacity to grasp the consequences of potential actions accurately in a purely physical sense; Something thought to be part of alien intelligence as of yet discovered, quantum eventual perception allows a system - usually a computer - to perceive statistically uncommon events which affect one another in a chain reaction called a 'pitagora' event (after a famous Yamataian mathematician) and then the means to trigger them.

This discovery of natural 'rube goldberg' machines, thousands of which may exist in any given room with both wonderful and disasterous consequences is still today only understood at a very rudamentary level with even the most advanced computers only able to work with a single 4×4 cubic room with less than one hundred objects inside it.

The simplest actions can result in the strangest consequences: both wonderful happy accidents horrible disasters. Given that it is historically easier to destroy something than it is to create, most pitagora are horrific accidents.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:pitagora

This seems like something a higher intelligence (and something obviously only available to GMs) would be able to do. The ease of doing it would probably be greater than the work involved in making the decision to actually do it, given they probably have no real concept of death or they don't perceive conventional organisms as meaningful, dignified or worth preserving.

This is a big distinction from an actively seeking out to destroy life which would make a character callous, haughty or capricious, spoiled or bratty - fetishizing the act of doing so.

In death, such a mindset is more likely to see it as a goodbye, the same way children wave goodbye when their playgroups separate - only in war and death.

"We really had fun, didn't we?" in total sincerity.

ai.imgur.com_q2JvOv4.webp

Last edited:
Dendrite: No, because no. I don't into hardlight.

Super Hoplite: Remove the R-88. Don't feel too good about selling them to Lazarus at the moment, also, you'd be better served by an energy weapon system.

That aside, neat stuff.

upload_2016-4-23_18-0-40.webp

Took a crack at Tamamo mostly from memory. Not happy with how it turned out, but I had fun.

Tamamo is a fun fox. Not sure why she has 80's hair though.

Last edited:
As I mentioned elsewhere, looks good aside from the hair volume (her hair will never be that voluminous short of external intervention, blow-dryer or no.)

Thanks for drawing her though! :3

RPG-D RPGfix
Back