• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Terraforming Ake P2 - O, Death!

Lamb

Ovine Member
Inactive Member
Morning on Ake was a wobbly-aired, arid time of day. Just like lunch time, afternoon, mid-afternoon, and early evening were. The sun beat down with that by now well-known intensity upon the terraforming camp as Franklin emerged after the second ozone dump into the hot air with his hat and duster, awaiting the beginning of a workday in the shade from the treacherous heat. Grateful as the old man was to get out of the heat, he was already having trouble getting Don The Donkey out of his pen and up to the lakeside to drink some water.

"C'mon, y' old nag." He grunted, tugging on the reins of the animal which was practically letting the older man drag its hooves through the sand.

In the bay of Sister Sara, Niel and Yori were putting the finishing touches on a device. Having stayed up through the night (Though Niel occasionally fell asleep for a few minutes while Yori was distracted by Sylph with a schematic or two), they'd created a 'lockbox' or sorts. Finding that Sylvia's hacking attempts had made ingress through the preset maintenance routines set up in the armor, and that such routines were necessary for the maintenance of the armors-- a simple program was created to disallow maintenance unless a certain, almost insignificant component were removed from the power circuit. This was a tiny fuse that was inserted inside the small of the armor's back and routed through it's central processor; a tiny fuse which effected little except the total amperage sent to a single tiny sensor in the diagnostics bus of-- Oh, you get it.

In Alice's quarters above the medbay in the Elijah, she found herself awakened to alarms, the ones she'd set the previous night to keep her updated on her patient's statuses. The one who'd remained in a coma until this point was suddenly in very critical condition. Before she could even reach the door on her way down, the alarms fell silent again. The patient had died.

Daziel emerged into the bay of Sister Sara looking as chipper as he normally did. If everything went according to plan today, he told himself, the course of the next few days would ensure the survival of the unfortunate Terraforming Team. The executive greeted Yori and Niel with a bright smile as he settled a steaming mug of black coffee on either side of them as Sylphie dropped the tiny light she was holding for Niel and zipped up to mount Daziel's shoulder, then rested his arms on their shoulders.

"Good morning, darlings." He told them, "I see you've been busy little beavers all night long. What news of your products?"

Two Letters
Over the course of the night, two letters had gone out and two letters had come in. They read as follows:

Outgoing Letter 1:
To The Frost Queen,

It's Spencer. I'm writing you from my new job here on Ake. It's not horrible, but the talent out here is shit. The only woman worth getting to know on this hunk of sand is the sawbones and she's about as cold as they come. I'm working with this kid, too. A scientist named Simji. Or maybe it's Kaiji. I don't fucking know, it's a Yamataian name and I don't rightly give three freshly laid dog turds how to pronounce it. I call him Chickenshit on account of how he can't stand up for himself to save his life. He is a good kid. There are some pirates here, too. Ship rustlers. I ain't worried over them, though. I reckon we will just kill them. So, catch me up. You still fucking that Dicekey boy? He taking care of you? Now remember, you let me know the minute he does you wrong and I'm on the first shuttle out there so you don't got to get your hands dirty on him. I owe you for dragging me out of the snow back on Ralt, and I plan to keep my debt.

Also, if you might be willing to send me a naughty photo of yourself, I would be willing to increase the strength of my onus to you. Of course, if you might be willing. I normally wouldn't ask, but I think Old Franklin's gonna be away from the whorehouse for some time. Maybe a picture of a real woman might set him off right.

-- Spencer William Franklin the Fifth,
Your Friend in Nepleslia

Outgoing Letter 2:
Hephaestus James,

Hello old partner. It's your good buddy Spence. First off, fuck you and everything you do. Second off, I need a favor and you owe me three, tiger. I don't got much time before I hit the hay, so I'll make this quick. I'm on Ake, working for Origin. Don't you say a fucking word about it, you know how I feel. Look, there is some pirates here. Ornery folks what intend to make Old Franklin into swiss cheese. And the company is not coming through on this for me. I am going to beat the shit out of you if then you let me die out here. I know I said I wanted to die in my desert home, but I was talking about Nepleslia Prime gods-be-damned, not this empty pile of soil and sand. So you get some of the boys together and you come down here and help me kill these sons of bitches or so help me I'll find you. I'll find you and make you eat piss soup for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

--Spencer William Franklin the Fifth,
Your Old Partner

Incoming Letter 1:
From the desk of Festus James:

Franklin! Buddy! It is twice as good to hear from you than you think it is! Me and the boys are in port here on Delsauria right now, stuck in customs for all this here ore we got in our cargo hold. We just got back from mining a Yammie asteroid, so they're checkin' the stuff for catgirls I reckon. I'll see what I can do about getting out there and rescuing your wrinkly hide.

Festus James
President and CEO
Jim Frank Mining and Materials Corporation

Incoming Letter 2:
アキちゃん! (=^・ェ・^=))ノ彡☆
Akichan, I've put in my request for leave~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll have you know that I almost never request leave (≚ᄌ≚)

So they'll
definitely approve it!!

Yours Truly,
ฅ ̳͒•ˑ̫• ̳͒ฅ Miria

Elijah

Alice's eyes open as she hopped off her bed and looked the pad beeping at her. Her pupils widened as she busted out of the doors and ran down to the medbay, clad only in her undergartmens. She quickly bounded down the stairs and ran to the now dead man. The sounds whizzed in constant line as Alice deactivated the field around him and grabbed the defibrilator. The pirate died, but maybe he could still be brought back. Alice activated the med-computer and had it pump the man full of drugs that helped. She then put gel on the man's chest and grabbed the pads of defibrilator. It was time to go all out.

Letter

To: Dirty Old Cowboy

Hello cowboy,

I did not expect a message from you, but it came as a pleasant surprise. You seem to be in luck of running into cold women, but hey at least you have someone to talk with I guess. Don't be too hard on that Simji guy, or poor sod might break.
Me and Daisuke are doing pretty good, I also managed to nail my infantry leader. Go me. At least something goes for me in this hell. Now if only I got a competent commander, like... let's say Daisuke's brother became the ships captain, all would be good.
Pirates eh. Those shits are everywhere, I killed few just the other day, but I had a power armour and big grenade launcher. Still I would not worry too much about. You can take them. Unless they have a bear to outsmart you :p
I am on leave now, since our captain got your ship blown up (for which she got promotion, but so did I, so whatever.) so if push comes to shove, give me a call and I will try to get on that Ake place or something.

Anyway, I will see you around I hope. Stay alive old man.

Misha.

Attached-image: youaskedforthis.spng

Sister Sarah

Sapphire scampered into the main common room of the Sarah. Brushing out her sleep tangled hair. She nodded to those present, refreshed and ready for the day. She moved over to kitchenette portion of the common room and began to fix herself a quick breakfast. Humming softly as she fixed up a sandwich from the left overs or scrounged up the food for one.

With a soft smile, humming some senseless tune along with the some music from her Walkman. She semi-danced as she moved about in making her breakfast.

Seiji was a man dedicated to tasks he set for himself. Industriousness was an important part of any scientist’s life, at least as far as he was considered. He had gotten up earlier than most in the interests of seeing his tasks done. After all, precious scientific equipment would not gather itself. He had chosen to get up quite early to do so, preferring to not have to rush the task, and enjoyed a bit of quiet as a side effect. He had already eaten a simple, small breakfast and changed into a fresh uniform. He was still a bit rattled from the events of the previous day, but a good night’s sleep and new clothes had helped to soothe him back to comfort.

Seiji was careful to make sure that their transport was properly stocked with scientific equipment, rations and water. Just in case, he even brought a few extra filters. After the last day’s events he found himself unable to convince himself it was just going to be a normal day on the job. He even brought his so far unused weapon. This time, though, he placed it in with the supplies. He knew he would be kidding himself if he thought he became some sort of gunslinger overnight, but it might just come in handy over the period of the day.

He stood back to admire his handiwork. “Today will be a better day.” He brushed his hands together as he tried to convince himself, the words like a weak mantra. “Now to collect Franklin and to get this over with as quickly as I can.”

Sister Sara

Yori had spent the majority of the night working with Niel on protecting and upgrading the equipment they had. Both the power armors had been protected from further hacks and a few new pieces of equipment were laid out as well. She turned to Daziel when he stepped in and offered a smile. "We didn't have much to work with, but the power armors are done, if they're going to get hacked now it'd require some direct input...at least it should." Computers weren't her specialty after all so her confidence was not as strong as what she showed Daziel next.

She moved over to her suit as well as a few other things that were there that had been constructed at night. "Using some spare parts I reinforced the armor on my suit like requested, it can't fight a power armor but it should hold up for non powered combat. I also redid one of the wrist launchers, it fires sturdy needles that should be able to pierce lighter grade armors." She the moved over to two items that looked like several sheets of metal welded together. "There's also these, we used some interior paneling to make them and replacement volumeric emitters. They when activated they're coded in hard light which should reinforce the plating and act as a shield, they can take some pretty heavy hits, but the strain will quickly drain them since they put out energy in response to pressure. They're light enough for a person to carry though outside of armor."

Lazily Akemi slid out of bed and casually hovered over to the kitchen as if her body was on autopilot, looking to shovel an inordinate amount of leftover food into her mouth. Upon assembling a plate of pasta and a chicken sandwich she stared at it for a moment and lamented her situation. "If only I had laser eyes too so I could just zap this stuff with heat rays." A thought suddenly struck her. "Too bad I'm not one of those special assault models." How could she resist trying to make Sapphire think such things existed? Probably easily if she was anyone but herself, but that didn't matter or occur to her.

"So," she said as she effortlessly floated over to the former farmer, her head just above the girl's shoulder, "were you able to sleep alright without me around? I certainly wouldn't mind if you asked me to personally watch your back at night with all those pirates about." Far too obnoxious to restrain herself, the Neko gave the girl's rear a quick pat to clarify what she really meant as she smiled smugly at her.

Sapphire shifted a bit at the closeness of Akemi. "I slept just fine." Then gave a startled jump at the slap to the but, nearly dropping her breakfast to the floor as she just picked it up to take to the nearby tale. "There wouldn't anything I could do if they attacked. Except get in the way of everyone."

Moving to the table, "Yammies have eyes that shoot lasers? I thought that happened only in comics?" Looking back at Akemi as she sat down to eat at the table.

Elijah
Alice had to deal with the screams primarily. Even as she applied the gel, there was screeching in her ear. Even as her patient's limp body twisted and writhed under the voltage of the defribulator, the prisoner behind her squealed like a maddened chicken.

"It was him! He was saying something to him and then he moved and died! Please, please believe me!" He bellowed, pointing a finger to where Greg reclined in his bed with a relaxed look. Even as Alice pressed the paddles to her patient's chest again and charged him so powerfully that his muscles tensed and his back arched and he tilted off the bed, this screaming went on. It was only when the distant, barely audible sound of boots scratching in the sand grew in volume and Spencer bolted in did the screaming come to an abrupt stop. Mostly because the cowboy had, without breaking his stride, jogged into the makeshift volumetric shield and given the prisoner a good thrash on the jaw on his way to help Alice get the patient straightened on the trauma table. Grunting, Franklin pressed down on the dead man's shoulders and gave Alice a supporting nod and a forceful, "You got this, Doc, hit 'em uh-gin."

Sister Sara
Daziel smiled at Yori's work and gave her a firm pat on the shoulder.

"You've done a lot, darling. How are you on sleep, though, old girl?" He asked with bright, concerned eyes. He hadn't slept more than two hours himself, but he was a war machine in the end so he didn't need it. Instead, he'd spent the night filling out every conceivable form to request Orisec intervention and even sent a few to the government (though that was probably a fool endeavor). He even had John Fox, the miserly budget director, trying to dig up a few spare LEAFs or some vehicles to drop to the surface. By the time the workday was over on Dawn Station, it was nearly dawn on Ake once more so things were once again waiting for the night to pass in space while the day burned on below. Once he'd received approval for the emergency supplies and personnel, Daziel would just have to send in another form stating exactly what he needed and they would be saved. In less than two business days, even.

"If you and the old man need to pop off for a nap, just saddle me with a menial task and pop right off." He instructed her cheerily, giving her shoulder yet another firm pat, "I may not twig it all like you, but I may have toyed with a spanner during the war in a bind once or twice, my dear."

While this was going on, Sylphie was putting off on her volumetric broom to examine Akemi and Sapphire. She settled on the table and eyed the two of them suspiciously. Aside from Akemi's playful little pat, they weren't doing anything to indicate they'd been so biological the night before. This frustrated the tiny AI, for she'd over the course of the night gotten a taste for romance. The miniature sorceress planted her hands on her hip and leaned forward, her conical hat tilting back as if on precarious footing. "Why don't you guys taste each other's spit?" She asked curiously, perhaps also a bit accusingly, "You did way more gross stuff than those other two, but you never kissed. Seems a little suspicious. You'd better close it up so nobody thinks about breaking you two up, right?"

Outside
As Seiji chanted himself into confidence, he suddenly felt he was no longer alone. It was a strange feeling, more internal than external. Like something sudden had tainted his mind into an irrational paranoia. A quick glance about would reveal that he was still completely alone in the camp, with everyone sitting in the Sister Sara or the Elijah. Well, with the exception of Don the Donkey who was disinterestedly slurping water from the adjacent crater lake. The sensation grew for a moment, and Seiji could hear in his mind's ear the twisting of something distant and metallic. Like there was a ratchet being turned on another planet and he could just tell for some reason. Then, just as it grew to any sort of identifiable volume, it was gone as quickly as it had come and he was left alone once more with the sound of the wind and the sterile smell of APS-purified air.

But it sure was spooky.

Sister Sarah

Sapphire looked at Sylphie, "I can still delete your programming from the system, Sprite." She resumed finishing up her breakfast. She squirmed a bit as it seamed that everyone knew about her escapades in the shower. She stood up, gathering her dishes to clean up and put away.

Sister Sara

Yori had stayed up pretty much all night working on the adjustments and completion over everything so the concern for her sleep was appreciated. "Sleep...yeah I didn't get much...How long till everything gets started, I might take a nap. If so...can you do the final checks for me? Just make sure the armor on my suit is secure, and check the welding on the shields..I don't remember doing it I was so sleepy...but they're welded so I'm not confident if they're done well."

"Maybe we will when we shower together again tonight," Akemi casually replied as she slowly leaned back in her chair, tilted her head to the side and crossed her arms to effect an air of blasé as if she were French and had carte blanche in regards to their relationship and activities despite the fact that Sapphire would most likely feel she was committing a faux pas. "We might have to do an awful lot of that because I don't know how much of the rest she can take after yesterday. You see how she walks? Ain't a coincidence. That's the signature Akemi action walk of a supremely satisfied customer. What else would you like us to do? She'll probably want me to call her names and degrade her given she's a normal so feel free to suggest anything."

Sapphire looked down to see if there was any difference in her walk. Seeing none, she continued to cleanup her dishes. "I wish I could just delete you Akemi just like Sylphie here. But we need you too much."

Despite the severity of Sapphire's words, Akemi still got some amusement out of noticing she actually checked to see how she was moving regardless of whether or not she had actually been seriously studying herself. "Geez! That'd be murder you know. It's not my fault Sylphie knows about what happened. Besides, you seemed to enjoy yourself an awful lot while we were at it. I certainly don't remember hearing any complaints. What I do remember is a lot of oohing and awing. Why do you care what Sylphie thinks or does anyway if she's just a program to you?"

Alice was angry again. It had to be that guy Greg. She had not idea how he did it, but it had to be him. The dying bloke had no nanobots or anything in his body as far as Alice's medical scanner could tell. Which of course did not mean, that it was not there. All in all it was bad situation and it was time to drug Greg. He could not hurt anyone if he was unconscious. That said Franklin should probably interrogate him first.

"CLEAR!" Alice shouted at Franklin as soon as the defibrilator charged again.

Seiji’s head whipped around as he looked for the source of his growing unease. He was a very firm believer that everything had a reason, you just had to find it, and it unnerved him to no end that whatever was causing this was not readily apparent. He swallowed heavily and suddenly felt significantly less confident that today would be better. Silently he cursed all of Ake as a whole. When they were done here he would request to be re-posted almost anywhere else. These were memories he would be very happy to leave behind.

Still feeling the chill down his spine, he reached into the truck and pulled out one of the handheld scanners and took a moment to scan the area around him. A single bead of sweat rolled down his forehead – whether from the heat or the situation was up to the observer. Seiji then glanced around again, this time making sure no one else was watching, before he turned the scanner in on himself. There were absolutely no results from the scans. This revelation was followed by another deep swallow.

Properly spooked, Seiji decided now was the time to go and find someone who was good with weapons. Franklin seemed to be very comfortable with them. Seiji made his way off in a controlled hurry to find him and ask him what was taking so long. Of course, that would be the only reason.

Sapphire rolled her eyes as she put away the last of the dishes she used. "I'm off." She gave Akemi a smirk as she left the room. She moved through the corridor to her workstation on the Sarah. She checked the security cameras in the room that held the prisoners. She could see Alice looking upset or pissed off. Franklin nearby. The other prisoners and Greg who was looking smug? She widen the view to take in the rest of the room and then moved it so that Prisoner Greg was centered in the view.

She turned on audio and made sure it was recording everything and checked the recordings from the moment they was secured in the infirmary on the Elijah.

Saphire moved from the console and went to the storage locker. She opened it up and grabbed more cameras and accessories to set up more for better coverage.

Mako was late in getting up. She was not what one might call a morning person. The little neko wobbled as she floated through the air, clad in a small t-shirt that, for her, was over sized and dangled so far down that her feet was not to be seen. She made it to the place of food, scrounged up her tiny tiny mug and got it filled full of a lot of sugar, cream and some coffee. The little neko downed the hot drink, made herself another, downed it, then made a third before she grabbed a tiny plate of something solid to chew on and drifted to the table, where she set out her morning meal and sprawled out, working on it slowly.

Eventually she was awake enough due to a major influx of sugar and caffeine to move about coherently and returned to her cabin and dressed in her proper uniform, armed herself with her pair of mini NSP's and came out again, looking for Akemi, wherever she was, Mako buzzed around lazily and called up the bigger security neko over wireless.

"Hey there, ready to go out looking for things to shoot?" she asked, much more energetic than she had been say ten minutes earlier.

"Yep! Can't wait to ventilate some no good pirate scum," Akemi answered smoothly, sounding not the least bit concerned with the success of their task. "We're just supposed to be doing reconnaissance though which sucks. I hate having to be stealthy. I just charge in and shoot everyone really fast in stealth games. It'd be cool if we encountered some neat animals, but I'd rather they be cute things than anything we'd have to actually deal with. A creature with a badass looking pelt would be swell though."

"So Sylphie," the Neko said as she returned her gaze to the miniature miss, "you saw that smile right? Sapphire's still totally into me. No one can resist the Akemi charm. You just tell me what you'd like to see next time we're at it and I'll think about it. If I kiss her I'll be sure to do it somewhere the ships can see." With all that said, Akemi stood up and went straight to the armory to slide into her suit. If the AI wanted to talk more she could always hover along or communicate through the ship.

Infirmary

Sapphire slipped into the Infirmary and set up her recording equipment, both video and audio. Seeing Alice and Franklin busy with the patients, unaware that one of them had already died. She tested the range of audio pick-up into sub-harmonics to the highest in upper range also.

She went through the process with each of the patients that they would be covered by the watchful eyes of the extra cameras. But this time its was backed up by audio.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back