• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Pack Power Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Power Armor (sorta)
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:uso:packpowerarmor

Faction: USO
FM Approved Yet? Yes
Faction requires art? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No)
Contains New art? (Yes/No)
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected)

Notes: Team USO needs some power armor, and that's going to mean building power armor for the Vek, For I'ee, for humans, for giant humans, for a dalmation taur, and for a giant sentient-mushroom-robot.

Rather than building one power armor for each of them, I am going to go the route of building a backpack that does everything a power armor does. Of course Uso is no Wazu, and kinda has to throw stuff together using her limited capabilities.

The idea is that as time goes on, USO will develop more homebrew gear and will be able to upgrade what they have on hand. In the mean time they have to deal with early versions of gear that aren't all that great.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would like to point out the orb weaver is not an ADR shield generating device. The orb weaver can -mount- ADR shield generators. It does not even have its own built in shield generator. Also the things generating the shield have their own powersupply. It would be like someone literally carrying around a self contained vehicle generator. Also the Orb Weaver is a 'powersuit' while it does have a personnel level armor, it is technically made out of power armor electronics.

Also the Spider pack does not have 8 ADR. It has 8SP

I do like the orb weaver submission, but really only two things from that apply here:

1: capability for ADR shields over exposed skin. That was brought up here but not for the orb weaver. The Orb weaver being approved signals that it is ok so this submission shouldn't have to be held to a standard that isn't applied to other submissions.

2: 'non standard SP value' Cadet was saying that items can't have above pdr5 which seems a little silly. PDR20 is the same as ADR4 which is the same as the backpacks for the orb weaver... Which is to say this should be a non issue here.

1 It's not ADR shields over exposed skin. Orb Weaver covers the entire body. If you're worried about exposed skin, they can simply put on a helmet. That solved. Again, the Orb weaver is made out of power armor grade stuff. Essentially it's a power armor with intentionally light armor. It's also vacuum ready, so there would be no problem for hiding the skin.

2 Amor and personnel are on teh same 'scale' in terms of SP if you look. The only one on a different 'scale' is ships, which says that. Their DRs are all different scales, but their SP is not. SP8 is technically weaker than an ADR2 strike. I'm going to quickly educate you on the terms.

It's not PDR 20 you're trying to say. It's SP20, that has the defensive 'power' to match the offensive 'power' of an ADR 4 strike. SP8, what teh spider pack and other origin impulse backpacks have, is more defensive power than the offensive power of ADR1, but less than 2. So for one, your backpack is -way- stronger then anything the orb weaver or spider pack or origin backpacks puts out. And in fact, the spider pack's shields are as weak as possible while still being 'armor class'. So I don't see at all how it has 'better stats'. It's vastly inferior to your crazy thing.

TL;DR: FIrstly the Orb weaver covers all but the head, and can equip a helmet, so there can easily be no exposed skin. It's also made of power armor parts, the origin packs generate the shield themselves, not the orb weaver. Personnel and Armor scale have the -same- SP scale in the old system.

I don't disagree.

You can just put on clothing to cover up, and the shield pack for the orb weaver is ADR.

Both things are non issues for that submission, they should be non issues here.

I don't disagree.

You can just put on clothing to cover up, and the shield pack for the orb weaver is ADR.

Both things are non issues for that submission, they should be non issues here.
No you can't just put on 'clothes' and the Orb Weaver isn't just clothes. You are really getting annoying with you only taking half statements and trying to twist them. The Orb Weaver is essentially a space suit without a helmet. And can wear any helmet that can sync up using conventional means. It's not 'clothes' it's an EVA suit. To be even comparable to the orb weaver your operators would have to wear something like this to have the same level of protection.

And the spider pack is not 'for' the orb weaver. It's for the impulse, the orb weaver can just use impulse parts. I would like it that if you're actually going to try and pick at my submissions just because yours didn't work out, that you actually get your facts straight first. And again a fact you continue to over look. Unlike your system, the Orb Weaver is actually a 'lighter power armor' in the first place. Yes the spider pack and the origin packs are independent systems that work on their own. But if there are restrictions to what can wear the shields that wont help your article. All that would mean is the Orb Weaver tells the system to only generate shields of X strength. However, the Spider pack is technically using a 'cross' level shield in the first place. It's Personnel and Armor scale because it's SP 5, a value they can both have, and was suggested for -your- shields earlier. So leave my submissions alone and stop being jealous.

The facts are the orb weaver is intended to be used with exposed skin, has equipment for ADR level shields, and that is ok.

The facts are the orb weaver is intended to be used with exposed skin, has equipment for ADR level shields, and that is ok.
you obviously didn't actually read the full Orb Weaver article, or your comprehension isn't that good. The Orb Weaver is not really intended to be used with exposed skin except as a basic engineer suit. It's not a product, it's a personal project by Yori to create her own power suit. It doesn't come with a helmet because there are plenty of helmets out there, and Yori doesn't feel like making one. If shields hurt skin, then obviously she wont be activating the shield without a helmet. Just like she wont be going into space with it without a helmet. It doesn't clearly say on the sheet "Need a helmet to go in space" but I don't see you complaining about that, because it's obvious. Just like it's obvious that if Armor shields hurt exposed skin, before activating the Armor shield, the wearer would put a helmet on.

Your submission is nothing like that. Your's is a shield -meant- to be used by unarmored people. That has no way of detecting if you're in an armor. The origin packs and the spider need to be hooked up to a separate system to be used. They can't just be grabbed by a random person and used. So there is the possibility for checks and regulation on the Origin backpacks. Not on your system. That's the major difference. Yours is a self contained unit, origin's are accessories.

And not even a mention of what might happen if A DR level shields are used with exposed skin.

Again, clearly this is a non issue.

And not even a mention of what might happen if A DR level shields are used with exposed skin.

Again, clearly this is a non issue.
It's not mentioned because that would be something a shield technology article would have. Because it's an issue for all shields not just these.

Since the DR v3 system has been approved, let's try it in the new system and see if it works better.

Well the new system is even more difficult for this article. Because the new system is "Shields are same class as the thing deploying it." And this doesn't really have anything but a backpack, and no system to sync up with an determine what you're wearing.

For your article @Syaoran , I suggest that the shields be the same as the pack's armor rating, but when used with unprotected and unarmored personnel, becomes extremely uncomfortable or hazardous, requiring that it be turned down to personnel levels. Tier 3 should do it.

Already talked over with Doshi. But the uncomfortableness should be mentioned in a general shield article, otherwise it gets repetitive for most everything. But yeah, the Orb Weaver will just have have an on board regulator that's automatic in a similar fashion to the one the Magic hand uses.

That might actually be best to bring up in Fred's thread and ask for an update. I'll go post there now.

For now, Syaoran's article has been modified to fall into line using the new DR system. I'm still waiting to get the green light to detail the effects of having too strong a shield, but that's not as important. Right now, you can either use the old DR system or the new DR Zack; once you've picked, I'll take another look.

@Wes DRv3 stats have been added along side the DRv2 stats.

It looks like the 'shield uneasyness' is being put off to another article entirely. Since this is well in line with what has been approved very recently, I don't expect there would be any further issues.

I don't see anything in this article that mentions that this is a bubble screen. I still think it does too much at once for such a simple and easy to carry piece of equipment, and I think it'd be useful enough as a personal barrier screen with a flight pack or a light armour screen without one.

Yamataian tech does cram a lot into a small package as a rule, but the idea behind this is that it's meant to be made and used on a low tech world with a limited tech base. Instead of trying to figure out which is more plausible, we could defer to what makes the RP more interesting. I think a disadvantage based on the limited technology, or exaggerating how cumbersome it is to grant these capabilities without the might of a high-tech, industrialized world to back it up would make it more interesting.

Aside from all that, I'm just annoyed that so many of Zacks posts in these submissions threads seem to be less along the lines of 'Here's my idea, how can we make it better?' and more along the lines of 'My idea is great and nothing needs to be changed, you'd have to be stupid to do anything but rubber stamp it.'

Though we can freely comment on it, the direction Zack takes his plot and faction is ultimately up to him, and the same goes for what he puts into his posts. Regarding the timetable though I'll go over this again later tonight or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back