• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Pack Power Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zack

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Power Armor (sorta)
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:uso:packpowerarmor

Faction: USO
FM Approved Yet? Yes
Faction requires art? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No)
Contains New art? (Yes/No)
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected)

Notes: Team USO needs some power armor, and that's going to mean building power armor for the Vek, For I'ee, for humans, for giant humans, for a dalmation taur, and for a giant sentient-mushroom-robot.

Rather than building one power armor for each of them, I am going to go the route of building a backpack that does everything a power armor does. Of course Uso is no Wazu, and kinda has to throw stuff together using her limited capabilities.

The idea is that as time goes on, USO will develop more homebrew gear and will be able to upgrade what they have on hand. In the mean time they have to deal with early versions of gear that aren't all that great.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Zack, if you're worried about bias... from experience, I think what I just described might be where the bias comes from. If I could, I'd decline your submissions regardless of their quality, just because of your attitude. The attitude makes it extremely difficult and unpleasant to do anything to improve them, and that's a serious problem, no matter what standards are applied to the other submissions.

If you want to have it hold to the same standards, you have to get it to Tier 3, as that's what the Orb Weaver is at now. And you have to be able to regulate the shields so that it stays the same tier as how the person is equipped, and it has to be controlled by an automated system. Those are all restrictions that were put on the Orb Weaver because you brought it up, so you have to do the same.

The start of this thread has reasonable discussion about the rules of the site which is perfectly acceptable.

Cadet is dragging his feet and adding unnecessary requirements, which is not acceptable.

Naturally when the bias is clear, it is going to get pointed out by me, such as with how the Orb Weaver was handled compared to this submission.

The V3 system says that the shield has to stay the same strength as the object deploying it. You have to put a control on your system for that. That also means that because it doesn't fall under class 4 characteristics, it can't have a class 4 shield. You said you don't want bias, so why now should the power armor pack have different stats than the Orb Weaver? You spent all this time saying they're the same thing, so make them the same.

Uhh why not just let the shields be whatever tier they need to be and then cause direct damage to the fleshy underneath after they are depleted instead of thinking of technical reasons why the submission cannot exist?

New DR is supposed to be a simple and helpful tool to allow GMs and players to describe things. Find the simplest solution.

Reactions: Wes
Uhh why not just let the shields be whatever tier they need to be and then cause direct damage to the fleshy underneath after they are depleted instead of thinking of technical reasons why the submission cannot exist?

New DR is supposed to be a simple and helpful tool to allow GMs and players to describe things. Find the simplest solution.
Because Zack complained about teh Orb Weaver's shields being 'too high', and the V3 system has a line specifically saying that shields match the Tier of what's deploying them.

Because Zack complained about teh Orb Weaver's shields being 'too high', and the V3 system has a line specifically saying that shields match the Tier of what's deploying them.
Who cares, tho?

Shouldn't we be striving to make every cool tech idea work? It's not like this "Pack Power Armor" reeks of overpoweredness.

Like I said before, the Orb Weaver's shield strength doesn't matter. What matters is that the effects on exposed skin were brought up here but not in the Orb Weaver thread.

I don't mind if we go with ADR level shields hurt exposed skin or not, but I would prefer it be consistent.

Who cares, tho?

Shouldn't we be striving to make every cool tech idea work? It's not like this "Pack Power Armor" reeks of overpoweredness.
Neither did the Orb Weaver, but Zack complained enough, and so the NTSE cared, and restrictions were put in place.

Like I said before, the Orb Weaver's shield strength doesn't matter. What matters is that the effects on exposed skin were brought up here but not in the Orb Weaver thread.

I don't mind if we go with ADR level shields hurt exposed skin or not, but I would prefer it be consistent.
So now you're saying that you don't want to have the same stats as the Orb Weaver because it's no longer good for you?

To deploy a T4 barrier, it has to be a T4 unit that is deploying it.
The potency of barrier emitters are always on the same tier as the unit fielding it.4) Destroyers will have destroyer-tier barriers, light cruisers will have cruiser-tiered barriers, and so forth.

That's a direct quote off the Barrier section of the V3 guide. In other words if you want to release a T4 barrier that means the pack would have to be classed as a 'power armor' item. Which would mean that you would need strength assist to carry it. And that's excluding barrier hazards. Essentially, you'd have to make it an item that can't be used unless you're in a T4 suit, which are all power armors anyway.

Reactions: Wes
Since we had discussed this in detail before and even gained Wes' consent on the matter, I'm going to move this article back into the setting submissions until it's changed to the proper stats. To clarify, I should not have approved it, with that being on me.

In other words if you want to release a T4 barrier that means the pack would have to be classed as a 'power armor' item.
Or it could just get approved as an item that emits a Tier 4 barrier without being a Tier 4 power armor.

Looks like that happened. Mistakes into miracles, folks!

As stated previously, and numerously, this is power armor teir gear.

Tier4 gear, Tier 4 shield.

Yes, but this item is meant to be use with people who aren't wearing PA level protection, isn't it? We very specifically covered how this was to be used by personnel, and have over the past few pages, covered very specifically that personnel cannot use shielding in the power armor category without being disrupted. It's why even Syaoran was brought into this, and his article made to comply.

I'd like @Fred to make the call on what tier this would be based on the description.

He's the expert, after all.

Or it could just get approved as an item that emits a Tier 4 barrier without being a Tier 4 power armor.

Looks like that happened. Mistakes into miracles, folks!
So in other words give Zack special treatment and literally break the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back