Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill Picking up new crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dasanteki communicated with the Yggdrasill, "This is Dasanteki, no damage to report. Awaiting further instructions." with that Dasanteki went to grab a coffee.

"Understood. Docking with Leviathan. Meanwhile, Requesting that the Ayame dock with the other side, to pick up our restricted items."

He said, as the Ygg picked up the remains of the Power Armors.

The Ayame docked, and some soldiers came in to transfer the items. They took special care with the SS Pod...

"I think I'll stick around, Doctor, and see what else you pick. up. This ship has a reputation for finding interesting things...from ships to new races."

The Ayame CO said to Mel.

After unloading, Yggdrasill began to salvage more items...

Frozen food from a ship's galley (S Albini, TC: 46-22, IC: 1069-2081-63)
Antimatter glob (dangerous!) (S Albini, TC: 67-8, IC: 526-801-67)
Bullets for Type 28 10mm Mass Production Pistol (S Albini, TC: 50-45, IC: 2257-4287-90)
Control panel, cracked (S Albini, TC: 54-15, IC: 867-1482-63)

Type 28 NSP, missing power cell, stained with blood (S Albini, TC: 68-41, IC: 2845-3993-101)
Volumetric display projectors (S Albini, TC: 46-56, IC: 2587-5489-97)
Battle tank (S Albini, TC: 8-82, IC: 713-8093-90)
Disgusting biomass (S Albini, TC: 81-2, IC: 138-255-74)
Oxygen canister (S Albini, TC: 32-58, IC: 1913-5857-87)

Graviton beam projector (S Albini, TC: 45-33, IC: 1497-3390-73)
Hull pieces, interlocking Neutronium (S Albini, TC: 68-87, IC: 5973-8931-147)
Random severed chunk of flesh (S Albini, TC: 45-4, IC: 192-469-44)
Matress from starship bunk (S Albini, TC: 46-74, IC: 3461-7753-115)
Crusty green hull parts (S Albini, TC: 74-30, IC: 2203-3207-96)

Oven (S Albini, TC: 35-51, IC: 1842-5463-82)
Holographic Projector with internal speakers (repairable) (S Albini, TC: 29-78, IC: 2319-8403-104)
Pillow from starship bunk (S Albini, TC: 39-59, IC: 2358-6429-94)
Intact container of Mishhu Toxins (S Albini, TC: 72-35, IC: 2505-3872-99)
Mindy armor's helmet, good condition (S Albini, TC: 52-70, IC: 3697-7757-116)

Fully intact shuttlecraft (S Albini, TC: 37-95, IC: 3572-10602-128)
Large viewscreen, some scratches but mostly okay (S Albini, TC: 27-91, IC: 2514-10249-115)
Optical sensor, intact (S Albini, TC: 67-45, IC: 3005-5142-104)
E-Knuckle Duster (S Albini, TC: 33-22, IC: 783-2565-52)
Scalar Pulse Cannon components (S Albini, TC: 70-76, IC: 5377-8797-138)

Shattered viewscreen (S Albini, TC: 84-11, IC: 897-1333-85)
Survival kit (S Albini, TC: 18-40, IC: 777-4737-56)
Intact Telepathic Activity Scanner (S Albini, TC: 65-63, IC: 4087-7491-121)
Hatch from a ship (S Albini, TC: 40-59, IC: 2377-7078-95)
Random Torture Device - Mod selected (S Albini, TC: 77-63, IC: 4908-7617-131)

*OOC: Neutronium obsolete, replace with Neriumium

Toshiro sighed as he saw another Antimatter glob.

"Okay, these things can be a pain...but luckily we can use them for fuel. What you do is have one of the containment tanks we keep in the Cargo Bay brought to the rear airlock by the industrial grapplers, have the main grapplers take that tank, and carefully guide the antimatter inside. It has magnetic containment and guiding to assist, but you still HAVE to be careful, people!"

Meanwhile, a far distance from the Yggdrasil, something was approaching the system at FTL velocities, albeit ultimately very pathetic ones in comparison to most ships, the Yggdrasil itself included. That something was a spare Deix-class shuttle off of some old junker, streaking through space.

In the chair, a young woman, generally human in appearance (Yamaitain, but more based on round-eared Geshrin stock) - with a simple yellow blouse, khaki pants, and a blue jacket - was slumped at a rather bizarre backwards arch in the pilot's chair, her legs up on the control panel and her head craned back. The sound of snoring echoing through the tiny shuttle confirmed that yes, she was asleep at the proverbial wheel. The shuttle plodded along through trans-system space, until...

*BREE BREE* "Proximity alert! Disengaging CDD and applying automatic retrothrust."

The automatic warning jarred the sleeping pilot to wakefulness as she slipped backwards, feet hitting the floor and hands zipping to the controls. A field of war-debris greeted her as the shields turned on, and hunks of all manner of metal scraps blew off the barrier of force as the shuttle's drive engines forced it to a stop. She began to get a sense of what was going on, and looked along the sensor readouts for some kind of clue of what was going on, when that sense was shattered again.

A large... large... claw? Struck straight past the hapless shuttle, retracting towards something that, when the girl craned her head over to look at it through the main window, was revealed to be a large green-and-white starship... large compared to her dinky shuttle at any rate. A slight gasp of surprise escaped her lips, before she dropped a finger on the comm line button and spoke in a direct hail.

"Ah, hello, hello. This is... er, a shuttle. I'm terribly sorry to get in the way of whatever it is you're doing! Erm..."

A hand to her chin. She never really was in a situation like this before! Big brother Hayate usually handled ship-to-ship comms. A slight look behind her, to her passenger... before going ahead with whatever sheepish thing she could come up with.

"Ah, well... Where should I not be to, uh, avoid, uh, being impaled by that thing?"

Another glance back, and she let go of the 'talk' button.

Watching more salvage being retrieved, Dasanteki began the transfer process to the Leviathan. Having never done anti-matter transfer before, he was intrigued in how the crew went about the task. Helping out where he could, they managed to complete the task.

An alarm and a pop up indicating the shuttle's course appeared on the screen, and Toshiro issued a hurried order.

"GRAPPLERS, BACK!"

The grapplers pulled back in a hurry when the shuttle sped through, and Toshiro let out a heavy sigh....THAT got his heart rate up for a moment. Hearing the hail, he sent a response to the hapless shuttle pilot.

"Ehh...well, you should be more careful...but now that you're not at FTL speed, you're fine. These are just salvage grapplers meant for grabbing debris...this is the SRSS Yggdrasill, by the way. The Sojourner over there is the SRSS Leviathan. I'm their owner, Commodore Yuki Toshiro. Who might you be, 'Shuttle'?"

The Yggdrasill resumed its salvage operations, pulling in all manner of things, including a battle tank, an adrift second shuttlecraft, and an odd Mishhu torture device.

A pair of Ayame-class ships seemed to be observing, though not assisting in the salvage operation.

While Suzune had been sleeping, her mechanical companion had also been distracted enough not to notice their surroundings. Adrift in the wide sea of the stars, she had been searching for any broadcasts from the Free State in exile. Being in the heart of the Empire, however, such broadcasts were quite infrequent. The sudden, jarring stop of the shuttle managed to bring her back to the present quite quickly, power shifting back to Tsura's eyes as she glanced over to the young woman she was with.

Noting the mild worry on Suzune's face at quite what to do in this situation, Tsura calmly reached to one of the smaller plates on her abdomen, opening it to draw out an interface cable to plug into the shuttle's console. It took her a moment to navigate through the rather old and clunky operating system the the shuttle was running, but soon enough her synthesized voice crackled over the speakers of both ships.

"We are former employees of the SS Free Wind, a merchant vessel under the authority of Captain Otomo Hayashi; Otomo Suzune and Fleshmender Four Two. After a disagreement with Captain Otomo regarding life goals, Suzune chose to leave the SS Free Wind. I am accompanying her. Currently, we are on our way to Pisces Station in the hopes of finding employment."

Watching the Yggdrasil work, its arms picking up salvage here and there, Tsura could not help recall her life at home. "The art of salvaging is a blessed one." It was a bit of a non-sequitur she sent over the comm-link, but at least a rather complimentary one.

"Ah, thank you!" Toshiro said at the compliment.

"As long as one's respectful of the dead and of what happened at a site, there's nothing wrong with reclaiming materials that have been lost to war....though there's also the responsibility of saving any lives one finds, like the SS Pod we recovered earlier. That's the price of making our living in these places."

He then picked up on the woman's comment about getting work at Pisces Station.

"Eh? Pisces...that place was built by the Yamatai Star Empire...even though it's more of a civilian outpost with a Nepleslian presence, are you sure it'll be safe for you there? Your name sounds like a Freespacer's, right?"

Hovering near the Yggdrasill was another battered Vampire Class which it was towing around...it seemed to be one of the Yggdrasill's recent finds rather than a sister ship. It lacked the Yggdrasillian Grapplers present on the Yggdrasill and the Leviathan, and had a pretty standard paint job.

While Four Two was talking business with Toshiro and the Yggdrasil, Suzune was starting to angle the shuttle around the main debris field, a new planned course tracing out on the main screen. Of course another matching course prediction showed up on the Yggdrasil and Leviathan's monitors. Tiny useless shards of... assorted scrap still bounced off of the shields as the shuttle veered off to get into the clear.

Empty space began to crop up in Suzune's flightpath, which is when she started to rotate the shuttle, cruising off to the side, but moving to face the Yggdrasil all the same. The finger slipped to the commlink button again.

"Er... if that's true, what do you propose then? It's still a far clip from anything else in this slow little thing, and... Well, we're already here. I admit this wasn't quite the best-thought out idea..."

The sheepish tone seemed to back up what the girl was saying.

Tsura turned her head glance at Suzune, who already seemed to be having some regrets about her brash stride into the unknown. The automaton was a bit daunted herself, at the prospect of being destroyed by the Yamataian military. It didn't seem highly likely, but it certainly wasn't out of the question.

"You shouldn't be in any danger, Suzune. I prepared myself for the possibility of a threat at Pisces Station. This is not something blindly walked into." Her voice came from the ship itself, and not her own mouth, as she was already hooked up to the speaker system. It wasn't quite creepy, but it was a little different from how a conversation usually felt.

Toshiro paused in thought for a moment, before responding.

"Well, we're always in need of new crew. We're quite understaffed at the moment. I have more ships than crewmembers right now...and I'm pretty racially tolerant. As long as Ms. Fleshmender is not the type of Freespacer who needs radiation to survive, then I don't forsee issues in hiring you if you were interested."

Suzune looked at Four Two for a brief moment, before looking back out the window towards the Yggdrasil, as if she were trying to find some way to glance at Toshiro. But... finally the girl left her gaze on Four Two, putting a finger on her lips for a second before speaking.

"Er. Well, there's less risk than going to Pisces, and... well they are scavengers! Who knows? Maybe it might be a good job, even if only for a little while. Maybe longer! Might even get my own ship to fix up..."

The finger slid to the commlink again. Suzune's expression lightened, even gained a slight edge of confidence.

"Ah! Well then, ah... I'm a qualified ship's engineer and roboticist, that'd be great. And... Er... well, with a title like Fleshmender I don't think I need to introduce her skills, right?"

Toshiro sent a response, smiling.

"Well, Engineers and Medics are highest in demand. We need a wide berth of Engineering knowledge to identify salvaged parts, and we also need capable medics since there's always the risk of finding someone injured out there. It's happened before.

You'll be around people like yourselves in profession, and you can get paid in salvage and/or KS. Also it's very good for getting spare parts to tinker with. I hope you don't have any issues with Elysians though. We have some aboard, including a couple of doctors."

Suzune actually blinked at the comment that Toshiro ended his communique with. Problems with Elysians? People had problems with them? Admittedly she had grown up on the very fringes of the Empire, and had a more... international upbringing. But it seemed actually rather strange! Which she, of course brought up as the commlink was again turned on for her.

"...I'm not sure I'd really have a problem with Elysians. They're... just people with wings. I almost don't know why you ask... Er. Anyway, I know I'd be interested. I should make sure Fleshmender is too!"

...All Suzune did was show the 'spacer a questioning look. She had already said what she had to, it was now more a matter of decisions. Meanwhile, Suzune was tick-tacking out a new course, but not yet implementing it. She was identifying the shuttlebays, and configuring a docking course!

Tsura just bobbed her head in a nod, her eyes moving to Suzune, then back to the screen in front of them. "I will accept your offer. However, if we encounter a mothership, I may have to take my leave. Recently, the Polysentience has indicated that all of our people are to participate in a renewal project."

The comm-link went quiet for several long seconds as Suzune began to manuever the shuttle into an ideal docking position. "I have never had the opportunity to speak with an Elysian. I will enjoy the opportunity to observe them. Their presence should not be a problem. I believe Suzune and I will be able to find some happiness here."

"Understood." Toshiro said, smiling. One of the shuttlebays lit up with light, indicating it was ready to recieve.

"Feel free to dock at any time. Then we can discuss the matter further. And if you have to take your leave at some time to assist your people, then I understand, Ms. Fleshmender."

Mel looked at the CO and smiled politely at her. "Oh I've been so rude, my name's Melissiel or Mel for short." She said absentmindedly to teh neko next to her. "while you're here, how about I give you an examination? Just to make sure you're in peak health?"

The CO nodded, with a smile.

"Thank you very much! It's been a while since I've had an actual examination..."

Lyshana with her painted wings was waiting near the docking bay when she heard that there were new... races coming aboard. She had next to her a medical bloater that she had 'adopted' as her personal assistant. She had a nervous energy as she waited for an interesting and new group to examine.

Suzune smiled back at Fleshmender when she agreed, though a knowing nod was given about the comment involving a mothership. Suzune knew enough from the near half-year she had spent with her that there were things a 'spacer had every right to do, things that meant a lot - solidarity, community, and... er... what was it? 'lol'? Yes. Much lulz to be had. Understanding slang or not, the girl did confirm the docking trajectory, guiding the decrepit little shuttle into a landing position aboard the notably larger scavenging vessel, applying gentle retrothrust and precise maneuvering bursts as she prepared to set down.

Suzune set the ship down for what was probably its final landing - it was almost at the end of its operational lifetime thanks in part to her brother's, ah, cheapness. With a smile and a knowing nod, her intentions already conveyed, the young woman popped the airlock, knowing she was safely inside the environmental control regions of the larger ship. With a simple hiss of re-equalizing pressures, the door opened, and with a very unnecessary leap, Suzune plopped down on deck, recoiling back from the bent-knee position she landed with.

We can only assume after a bit of looking around and close checks, the girl nodded at her own landing, and headed off towards the Yggdrasil proper, heading forward.... straight for where Lyshana was waiting, passing through whatever doors or other obstructions may have been waiting. Stop. Look. Oh, Elysians. Captain wasn't kidding, was he?

"...Oh, hi! Came to meet us, hm?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back