• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Resurgence Resurgence of Yamatai - Mission 4: The Hand That Feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mochi smiled in assent to Koyama's words, implicitly conveying to Sanda that he agreed with the XO's assessment. This was her chance to shine. To emphasise the point, he patted a strap of the backpack he currently had equipped. "We've got everything we need right here. Just need security and time, 2IC. Oh, and whatever local knowledge we can get." Mochi spoke calmly to Sanda, aiming to reassure and embolden her.

Yayoi was silent and conspicuous as she casually observed things as they were. She noted the armed individuals that were concerning, but she kept calm. She telepathically reported what she saw when important.

Valaad: Planet side

Sanda nodded and took a deep calming breath. This was her chance to prove that she was not only a good soldier, but could be trusted to handle responsibility. Although she would have liked to have had more time to prepare than to just be thrown into it she would adapt. She took quick stock of what she had to work with. Two officers, two Rangers, two infantry, one pilot and... Thad. She forced her annoyance of him to the side and stayed focus on the task at hand. Their mission was to gather intel. Intel on the planets condition, how the locals are doing and any intel on how things are going in the system.

"Ma'am, I recommend we split into two groups." Sanda spoke clear and concise yet quietly so that only the two officers could hear. If Koyama or Iemochi shot down her suggestion, she would rather not have the rest of the team hear it. Her stomach was already in knots and she longed to take a drink from her flask but resisted the urge and continued. "As one large group we might attract unwanted attention and give the wrong impression as to why were here. Two smaller groups will attract less comment and allow us to cover more ground. I suggest you take Zanven and Yayoi. I think they have the least issue with Maximus so would be best paired with you and him." She paused a moment then continued. "I will take Del and Frank and give the Taii any assistance he might need to conduct his tests." The Ranger stood and attention, waiting to hear how her suggestion sounded to the officers. Granted it wasn't the greatest of plans, but Sanda thought it wasn't bad given she had to come up with it on the spot.

Last edited:

Thad was just about to get on a forklift when the crew from the other ship started to push him away. Something about this is their task, cargo or whatever. He wasn't really paying any attention to them since he only listened to his own team. What place did they have to tell one of the mighty RESURGENCE what to do. After a moment and two seconds away from putting the smack down on crew, he decided too leave them be. He had already got into enough trouble and burned his get out of jail free card thanks to Mia wanting to be the hero. Which speaking of Mia, he still has not seen her since all the madness went down. He'd have to make a point to go see her once they finished the mission.

Thad walked back over to the party. This was after giving his contact information to the young neko and said they will settle this another time. He walked up to the party and looked around for a moment. "So, boss, where we heading to?" He asked looking directly at Koyama who had just a few moments ago assigned him to be her body guard. He knew exactly what that would mean, to stay close to her side and not let anyone near. He'd perform this duty perfectly and maybe even get a reward for his good deed.

Getting to the rest of the group, Frank wore a Type 40 plate bearing vest with a star army backpack and full faced helmet. due to his power armor still being repaired. with his type 41 rifle slung to his back. Scanning the group he could tell Sanda was stressed from the chance of leadership. "Well, you got my vote Sanda im sure youll do fine."

Koyama seemed to mull over Sanda's suggestion, hands clasped behind her back as she watched the forklifts flit too and fro from the corner of her eye. With Thad at her side and his question, the Neko then looked to the Nepleslian ranger, having to tilt her head back to look her in the eyes.

Her own narrowed a moment before nodding, "Iemochi-taii, see what you can dig up. I do hope you do not mind getting your hands dirty?" her question coming with a wry smile. They were treading on a desert world. It was a given.

"Sanda-hei, stay in contact with me as needed. If trouble arises on either end, we let the other know. Also, take a breath, calm yourself." looking from the Ranger to which she had said the latter with soothing tones, and then to the Scientist and back. Before cocking her head a little to one side and eyeing the SOL-hybrid.

"We're going into the city. See what we can observe. Perhaps you can catch something I cannot, the same goes for you, Brax-hei, Keep your sidearms holstered unless necessary." calling out to him and motioning him over. "You're with me, Maximus-hei, and Yayoi-hei. She has gone on ahead and is already reporting some of her findings."

The last Koyama added approvingly, both of the Rangers were efficient, good at their jobs. And worked well together that was clear. The Chui sent the Nekovalkyrja Ranger a brief message and informed her of the development. That she was stuck with her group.

With a 'hmph' she had taken notice of the tanks, "BW-6s, classics." observing for Sanda's benefit before moving on. Koyama added: "Move out, try not to rile the security forces here too much." calling back to the others.

~' Give her some pointers if you could? She's tightly wound.'~ she sent to the Elysian. Thus far, the XO was putting trust in the Ranger's judgment.

~' We're on the move, Shosa, two groups. Our Taii in one with surveying equipment for samples, a Ranger attached, and the android, Sterling-hei. I have Maximus-hei, Brax-hei, and Asakura-hei. Pink-hei is on standby.'~

~' Thus far we've seen the security forces with mostly BW-6s around the area. And their personnel are heavily armed.'~

Zanven realized he had been perpetually ignored various times now and as such when he was assigned and told to keep his sidearm holstered he gave a soft sigh. He was not a newbie when it came to surface missions when there were high tensions. He just gave a slight, understanding nod "Copy, ma'am. Will keep my eyes peeled." He said with a bland, rehearsed voice before he began to move while taking scans through his helmet which he had still not removed. There was nothing much to see here, the presence of some older tanks and heavily armed security detail was already off putting, and the fact that this backwater planet was just a stop meant that he had little care for what was going on.

Koyama's ear flicked in Zanven's direction, "Something you wish to say?" her voice level as she walked and waved a hand. "You sighed after all. Now would be the time, I am open to criticism, thoughts, and concerns." punctuating the latter in dry tones.

Last edited:

"Aye, aye Ma'am." Sanda said out loud. Silently she was thinking, Easy for you to say. This isn't your first test of command. But she did feel much calmer now that she had orders and a task to do. Give her a task to complete and she would see that it was done. Watching out for their science officer while he took some readings and gathering some intel on the planet, that's her specialty. A walk in the park.

Sanda acknowledged Franks vote of confidence with a nod of thanks then gave instructions. "Sterling-hei, Lulie-hei, form up and lets move out. We're here to gather intel, not to start a fight with the locals." She emphasized. Turning to the Elysian she said, "Sir, I plan on heading through town for a little bit to get an idea of what's around this area. If we locate a market or the like we might try stopping and buying a few things and see what the vendors have to say about the place. If not a market, than a bar or a restaurant will work. Is there anything in particular you need to conduct your test? Or any place in particular?"

“Not a word other than I’m all ears. The sigh was just letting out some hot air that is all.” He responded back to Koyama and continued to walk. Which was not a lie nor was he pushing off. He let out that exasperated breath of air because he was overthinking things on his end, he had no qualms with the orders nor did he have an issue with Koyama.

“Do we expect opposition from the locals while we survey?” He asked as he continued to scan his surroundings

Valaad: Planetside
Sanda's suggestion sounded perfectly reasonable to Mochi, oftentimes dividing meant reduced combat capacity, but this was unlikely to devolve into a combat scenario. Two parties sounded fine in this case. With Koyama's question, the Elysian smiled slightly in return, "It takes more than a bit of sand to unnerve me, Chui." Mochi cast his mind back to so many away teams during the Kuvexian War, fighting NMX and worse.

With the message from Koyama, the Elysian gave the Ketsurui a knowing nod. He'd be there to observe the Ranger as well as his instruments, both to help and assess. "Well then, it looks like we're in your hands, Sanda-hei." Mochi commented with a kind tone, just before she informed him of her intentions. "That plan sounds fine to me. I can gauge the population and how their civilisation is constructed while we're in the town. Buying some samples of their wares will help if we find anything unfamiliar, so we can analyse it later."

A second pause followed as Mochi thought over Sanda's offer, "I don't need anything in particular beyond that. If I do, I'll say. As long as we get a feel of the wilderness as well." That was about everything he needed to clarify for now. "If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Other than that, carry on with your plan." The Elysian nodded pleasantly, noting down mentally a positive note, that Sanda was consulting on what her more technical members of the team needed. Something even COs tended to overlook, forcing others to adapt to their difficulties and insistences rather than being given ample provisioning to do their jobs.

Thaddeaus was ready to go and get this mission on a roll. He took the backpack he had on and dropped in to the ground. He opened the main part of the bag and started to look through what he had packed. Standard items and a few extra things he thought might be good to have on the mission. As he dug around a smile started to form on his face when he found what he was looking for. He grabbed hold and pulled out a long cape that was in the bottom of the bag. He stood and with a flick of his hands the cape unfolded. "Ahhh, I was hoping the time would come when I could wear this." He said out loud as he tossed the cape over his back and secured it around his neck. Overall it was a standard star army purple color. Though one thing did stand out about it, the large golden sword and board that was in the middle. A coat of arms that had meaning dating back to since Thad was young.

As Zanven took a look around he could see Gate City, a mess of industrial Nepleslian-style concrete blockhouse towers, tan buildings made of adobe bricks in ancient Qel'noran designs, and evens some Yamataian-style buildings including a damaged old Star Army of Yamatai building near the starport with the old Type 22 Hinomaru on it, partly spraypainted over with graffiti. They could see a large, old-looking tavern near the spaceport with a "BAR" sign above the entrance.

Zanven made note of the architecture before seeing the Hinomaru spray-painted over with graffiti, it had the look of a people that did not care of the people that ruled over them. "ma'am it appears as if the people have given up on us...or we have given up on the people...the local tavern may be of use to secure further intel." He says as he continues to scan the area, but so far it was business as usual.

"Aye Sir." said Sanda as her team moved into the city. The air was hot and the Ranger wished she had a hat and some sun shades. She had originally chosen to forgo them so that her face, particularly her tattoo, was noticeable. Her hope was that people would be able to easily tell that she was Nepleslian and might feel more conferrable speaking to her than an obvious Neko or even an Elysian. Her desire to be easily recognized quickly faded in favor of some protection from the sun and sand. Taking a corner of her camo-cloak she made a hood to cover her head and give her some protection. She also rolled up her sleeves which showed off her tattooed forearms.

As her team continued further into the town Sanda took mental notes of the types of structures around as well as possible cover that an attack could come from or where they might take cover behind. She also made a mental note get some upgraded cybernetics where she could take pictures or other recording for later study. That seemed like the kind of thing that might be handy to a Ranger. She also noticed that almost everyone was armed with some kind of weapon, whether it be a blade, side arm or larger rifles. This didn't bother Sanda at all. She was used to seeing people with weapons.

It wasn't long before they reached what looked like an open market. There were several vendors under canopies selling various items from spare parts to clothing to food to advice cybernetics. Sanda tapped her coms once to get her groups attention then spoke softly into the mic. "I'm going to take a quick look around at some of these vendors. See if any of them are willing to talk. Act casual but keep your eyes open."

"I second what Zan is saying about hitting up the local bar." Thad said in support of the suggestion coming from Zanven. Thad had been around enough bars to know good things tend to come from a bar. "Reminds me the last time I hit up a bar. Found this young pretty woman, Mo, who had been shot and left for dead. I took her back to my place and fixed her right up. One thing led to another and ended up with a broken shower, countertop and a hole in the wall. Here is to us finding some intel. A smile crossed his face as he recalled his sweetheart Mo. "Though Zan your going to have to take point on the lady front. I need to let things calm down before I am popular with the ladies again. I got my hands full at the moment with all these gyaru." He let out a small sigh as he thought for a moment the mess he has to deal with. The enemy was the least of his worries, least he know they aim to kill him. All these lady folk on the other hand feel even more dangerous.

Last edited:
Koyama turned her head this way and that in a slow, deliberate fashion. Her golden gaze drank in the details. The scents, the smells flowing through her enhanced senses. All while Zanven and Thad spoke. When finally deigned to pay attention, it was during the tail end of the Nepleslian's story. Which caused a snort. Did he even understand what Gyaru was? Likely not. But she wouldn't hold it against him.

Besides, he was doing his job. Even if he was wearing a cape. With a gesture toward the rough and tumble establishment, "Well, lead on, Brax-hei." she stated while filing away the disgraced Hinomaru insignia. It was of the older design, an old building indeed. Or before the change in style.

Concurring with the pilot, it did seem to be one or the other. Either the Empire had given up on these people, or they had given up on the Yamataians. Perhaps it was a blend of both? Mutual? Only time would tell. She looked up to her guard.

"Let's try to keep the bar fights to a minimum. For all our sakes."

Frank would watch the right flank of Sanda as he moved alongside her. Once they made their way into the market and Sanda gave orders to spread out and look for info. He would step off over to the nearby cybernetics' vender. His eyes would scan the Advanced cybernetics and cross check them with his eternal database. A few of them catch his eye like a echo or a ghost of a memory when he spots a rather large cybernetic arm that could house a weapon system. "Damn I haven't seen one of these old models in a long time." Frank said admiring the cybernetics the vender was selling.

Turning to the individual frank would chat up about some of the cybernetic knowledge of the vender with his own before attempting to steer the conversation to get some info on the area. "So hey, I'm a bit new in the area. you got any interesting spots that you would recommend visiting? I might like to stop by here on leave. And if possible what areas should I steer clear of?" If there was one thing frank was good at it was getting people to chat about things. he still remembers the conversation he had with the young officer at the recruiting station before he signed up so getting some knowledge like this should be no issue.

Zanven listened to everything going on, but it seemed like not only were tensions still high from the general crew, but just working conditions with these people just rubbed him the wrong way. He did not give a sigh lest he get asked quite bluntly if he had some sort of issue with orders or the like. When given the orders to lead on he did so without another word as he made his way to the bar. The small quip as he opened the door into the strong smelling bar made him shoot a glance towards his back, even if he did not turn his head. "I never go to a place with the wish to fight...that is purely left to the opposing party or orders...with that said though...they are expected though. Especially near a starport that seems to not entirely welcome us." He said as he walked into the bar without a second thought, seeing the locals, some looked like they were ready to go with a "kit" that denoted mercenaries...he was not a stranger to this though and since he was feeling a bit thirsty he went directly to the bar and took off his helmet for the first time since putting boots on the ground. "I'll have some of the local ale, and I am interested in some of the rumors around here. Think you can help me out here friend?" He asked the barkeep and waited for a response...the place was a little more quiet than what he wanted but he did not shy away from this.

Valaad: Planet side Market Place

Sanda watched a moment as Frank moved to examine and speak to a cybernetic merchant. She hoped that the locals wouldn't be to intimidated by the tall android, although there probably wasn't much that would intimidate these people. They had worked hard and fought hard for their living and wouldn't be easily scared. Sanda moved to a food and spice vendor, taking note of the quality of the vegetables. They looked pretty good, better than what you would imagine for such a hot dust ball of a planet.

As if reading her mind, the vendor said, "Their grown in orbit on that Agriculture ship." Ah, that explains it. Thought Sanda. She began to examine different vegetables and make a list. She still felt guilty that on her last leave she had been unable to pick up some things for the cook Rossa. She'd make it up to her buy getting some fresh things and have them deliver it to the ship so she wouldn't have to walk around carrying a bunch of food stuff in case any trouble occurred. Her purchase would also help the vendor and maybe loosen some lips.

Sanda began some small talk while she shopped. Nothing too prying, mostly to get an idea of how much the vendor might say. The vendor seemed not to need too much prompting. Seemed like the man was happy to get to talk to someone new for a change. He told Sanda of a bad mining accident that had happened quite a distance from here that several community members had gone to help with. "Not the local rift raft mind you, I mean our solid citizens. Those who make life here a little bit better for everyone else." Sanda just smiled. "Yes, you need good people to have a good community." She double checked her list and pulled out some currency. "Can you have these items delivered to the YSS Resurgence on landing pad 3? " She jotted down a message and signed it. "Tell them your making a delivery for Nito Hei Sanda Hoshi." The vendor seemed startled by that name a moment. "Hoshi? Any kin to Hoshi's what own the Thundering Star Restaurant?"

Sanda was taken aback and confused. She hadn't seen her parents in almost 20 years. Ever since she and her sister were sent to Yamatai to avoid the fighting between Reds and Greens on Nepleslia. "What are their names?" She asked, almost afraid to hear the answer. Her heart and suddenly begun to race. "Diego and Milayer." The vendor responded. Sanda looked like she had just been shot. She staggered a moment and almost nocked over a basket of limes. "Diego, does he have a facial tattoo?" The vendor stammered, "Now look here, I..." Sanda grabbed the man's arm in an iron grip, far harder than she meant to. "Does he have a facial tattoo!?" She shouted. "A starburst over his left eye?" The man looked scared, "Yes yes yes! That's him. And his wife has a half moon with a beam of light." Sanda released the man and almost fell to her knees in shock.

"¡Santo trueno! ¿Veinte años y de repente los encuentro en este mundo atrasado?" Sanda could not believe what she was hearing. Her parents were alive! "Are you alright ma'am?" The vendor asked, his curiosity overcoming his reluctance. "I think I might have just found my parents after being sent away from them 20 years ago." Her mind was slowly coming to grips with the information she had just received. "Where are they? Where is this restaurant?" "It's about five blocks down that way." He pointed then frowned. "But they're not there at the moment. They went with some others to help out with that mining accident. Left 2 days ago and I have no idea when they'll be back." Sanda cursed her luck, then regained her composer. She would have been unable to just run off anyway at the moment. She did have acting command of this away team. Quickly she wrote a message and gave it to the vendor. "Look, I might not have a chance to go to their restaurant and ask around, would you please give them this message. It's got my private comm ID on it. They'll be able to get ahold of me instantly." The vendor nodded. "Sure, I'll do it for you miss. The Hoshi's are good people and I happen to know that they thought they lost both their children. They'll be overjoyed to hear you're alive." Sanda nodded her thanks and quickly tried to wipe her eyes before any of her teammates could see the tears that had started to form in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back