Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 188604 [Star Wasp] 4: The Beach Episode

• Thread starter Thread starter Zack
  • Start date Start date
Ace dug his feet into the ground getting ready to return what ever came back over the net. "Don't worry Corgan I can take what ever that thing throws at us."

Bored Referee:

What did begin as an attempt to turn this whole 'volleyball' exercise into a silly farce had started to degrade into a boring contest of athleticism. Something that Arccos found increasingly dull. The quick turn of Uso from the 'believe in yourself, we can be better' type to sexual harassment neko was treated to a quick turn from a bright glowing halo, to a sort of infernal red. Something which quickly turned the whole thing into an apparent red team against blue team situation. But from there, the referee seemed to just switch off and leave the music playing.

The hovering scores read '?/?', and Arccos seemed to be attending more closely to something on her datapad while drinking from a wooden bowl.

The Crowd Reacts! Then ceases to care:

While there was some general reaction from the onlookers due to the general showmanship which had begun, the second Alex started to call for people to consider Uso manipulative, the whole beach party began to feel uneasy. Those who had remembered the massacres started to filter off away from the volleyball game, others just sort of tried to stay still and pretend they were invisible statues. Arccos' brigadiers over by their spit-roast looked over and seemed to discuss whether or not they should consider Alex's outburst as treason... Then someone said that their meat was done, and they forgot about it.

But as the game just went on and became more sportive than showboating, most of them just went about their business.

Some went to lounge in the afternoon sun, others went off to swim. The smell of barbecues cooking everything from space food, to dried algae starts to waft over the beach. Some of the ladies, inspired by the free and easy approach to beach fun presented by these aliens went off to expose more skin than they'd ever done in their lives to dip into the clearest seashore on the planet.

A select few of these groups seem to send runners up the beach, who would bother Arccos' deputies who would in turn run to their boss and annoy Arccos herself up on her perch. Whatever messages were being sent only seemed to annoy the 'spacer. Chances were she wasn't going to be bothered to pass them on.

Robo-Spider:

The Junker which went to assist Sammy briefly flashes a wider smile on its LED display, then slumps down to the sand with a loud thump, its expression changing to give the impression of a rather excitable dog. Its manipulators work before it to compress some of the sand between itself and Sammy into a cube, before it started to work in great detail to carve from the cube a little simulacrum of the wasp before it.

Soon a happy little Sand-Sammy was smiling up before the I'ee ambassador from the sand. Seemed it wanted to play at making sand sculpture? Or maybe Arccos was listening to Gut-Stripe saying that the I'ee like art, and sent a command to the thing to keep the lecherous little wasp company.

Plot? Plot!:

From across the beach, cutting through the loud music being played a piercing scream is heard and silenced just as quickly. Just about every little group partying on the seashore looks that way, as the Brigadier Deputies quickly flip coins to determine who should be the one to check it out... Attention shifts away from the volleyball game as something foul seems to be afoot.

Pervert Wasp:

"Ooh!", Sammy squeaked with delight, watching the Junker assemble a small figurine out of sand with interest, before letting out a happy, snorting laugh when he recognised it for what it was. "Thank you, Mr. um... Mr. Metal?" He gave the Junker another pat on its 'head', careful not to disturb its sculpture.

Other Wasps:

Throughout the volleyball game and the arrival of further spectators, the scattered group of I'ee engineers roaming the beach had their attention split between watching those bathing in the water with curiousity and examining the holographic projections around the game of volleyball. Just now, however, as the smell of cooking meat began to roll across the sandy shore, the engineers had a new point of interest. Now, the groups of men at their fires had to contend with curious posses of wasps, gathering around them and chattering curiously whilst pointing fingers at the cooking meat, apparently growing hungry!

Gutty to the Rescue:

With her attention in just about everything waning, Gut-Stripe had drifted out of the volleyball court and was caught between examining what was being cooked on the fires, or spending some time with Sammy. Then she caught a piercing scream, her antennae perking upwards as she dropped down onto all six legs and began scurrying rapidly across the sand in the direction she had heard the noise from. The scream hadn't been shrill enough to be an I'ee, but it still set her instinctive alarm bells off, charging recklessly towards the source of the sound.

:: Game Forgotten ::

Errowyn heard the scream and looked in the direction, as her morbid curiosity flared up to see what caused the scream. She from the game, to her chair where her stuff was at. Kneeling in the warm, fast becoming hot sand. She opened her cooler and reached in pulling out a plastic ziplock bag with her service pistol and extra power cell for it.

She put on her wrap and tying at her waist. She strolled over to the source of the scream, pocketing the service pistol now free of the plastic ziplock bag along with the power cell.

Hearing the scream Ace quickly went sprinting off at full tilt in the direction where the scream came from arriving there quickly and he began to look around.

Last edited:
Beach

Uso would keep herself involved in the game. This WAS her day off after all, the Neko hitting the ball upward, trying to give Truffleclub an easy shot to serve the ball back as it went straight up, and then right back down in front of him. Uso couldn't help but think to herself that this was going to run her day... and probably make her walk back to the ship naked.

Uso would reluctantly look over at Vier, "Fiiine, go check it out."

Uso would then turn her attention to Aashi, "Maybe we should get together later when we have teams more fleshed out? I seem to have lost one of my pilots..."

Beach, other side of the net

One of Vier's bodies would split off from the group, and head towards the scream, having one of the junker drones that was cleaning the beach also break off from its task in order to follow along behind.

Truffleclub panicked, roughly hopped forwards in an attempt to throw their arms completely around the ball, and ended up deflecting it into the net with their chestplate. More over, they were now off-balance, and managed to fall sideways with all of the grace of a pile of lumber. Not enough of an impact to damage the industrial machine, but the ring of blue flowers about their horns had become dislodged, a matter which they gave great urgency in fixing.

By the time they had righted themselves into a cross-legged sitting position again, half of the other players had fled for some unknown reason. The automata was left just perched by the newly formed crater, looking sheepishly down at the little holographic birds.

"I'm sorry mister Cor-gun... I'm sorry miss Uso..." A more squeaky end of their vocal range, but no less sluggish. "This game... Being too fast for this one."

Hands on horns again, the eyes on the left side timidly took attention of the commotion that was occurring among a group of militant planet-walkers. Arccos' boys?... Even if they were terrible at this game they didn't want to leave, not now they were finally absorbing the company of others once more.

Hero time!

The loud scream snapped Alex out of his daze. What's going on? He thought to himself. Seeing people begin to congregate around the area the noise had come from, he thought it prudent to join them. Running as fast as his enhanced legs would take him, Alex arrived at the scene in a matter of seconds. As he skidded to a stop, a small sand plume was kicked up.

Intense Indifference Verging on Insensitivity

Aashi nodded to Uso and let her familiar come over to her as she stroked it. She wanted to tell her teammates to hold back, that there was already a crowd and enough people to help, but she knew that was futile and wasn't ready to be painted as the type that ordered them around. Uso was there to fill that role and Aashi had full faith in her ability to do it. Aashi walked over to the beach chairs and laid down on one, body spread, hand up to her eyes to block out the sun, before she decided to turn over and rest her head on her arms, face away from the sun. She almost moved her underwear down as it had bunched up above her cheeks, but lazily she kept her hand where it was and let her mind go calm, instead. The teal lines running all across her body seemed to lighten as the sun deepened the dark brown of her skin around them.

While Ronin had joined the game, not once had the ball been hit back his way. In a team game like this, though, it didn't exactly fit for him to even try to steal a ball knocked toward any of the others. The result was the man's slight excitement to quickly fade. The scream had further broke the game down to such a degree that he effectively and finally pulled out a new cigarette with a grumble. He'd been so quick to ditch his expecting a full-on game... but now he was having to light a new one and felt like the prior had been wasted.

"Tch. They were going to lose anyway... next time I'll make 'em have to buy me some more smokes after we beat them silly. But we should be taking it easy anyhow, right boss-lady?"

With the sun glistening off his lightly chiseled chest and well-defined abs, Ronin's face was almost immediately shrouded in a veil of a quick but heavy drag's worth of smoke. Walking over and following their horned opponent, he chose a chair nearby to lay down in. Part of it was to catch a glimpse of that tight-fitting attire, but the other was so that he could relax and work on a tan in some comfort. Once he was seated with legs crossed, his hands moved to meet behind his head like a mini-pillow. While he wasn't a "hunk" thanks to some wear-and-tear from being a mercenary and soldier, Ronin wasn't like the scrawny teen who'd gone running off to help someone. This was one dude who'd gained muscle from his old career and maintained it from his current.

"Nice ass, by-the-by, Iro. You give the boss a run for her money."

Aashi smiled before she looked up, and even then she only barely did, to say, "I'm not one to compete with a Neko when it comes to that," she said, lifting her head and making a point to look directly at the bottom half of the green bikini Uso was wearing oh so very well. She put her head back down to ask, "If Uso were really running for her money, where would you be?"

Sharing a glance at the boss of both of them, Ronin didn't shift much thanks to the cover of his sunglasses and elevated resting posture. Seeing Uso run with those clothes would have been great, but that wasn't the question he'd been asked. With his cigarette trailing smoke for a few moments, he finally let out a smaller buff from his nostrils.

"By her side, long as I'm paid. Cool as she is and as hot as her body looks, I'm a mercenary. She's earned more credit than most of the ones I've worked for, though."

Looking to Aashi with the slightest turn of his head, he was tempted with the tremendously stupid idea of giving the rump a smack that'd send her sprawling. Instead, the grumpy pilot looked back toward the sky with right-shoulder-only shrug to avoid disrupting his casual smoking.

"Not something I can say for sure about. What about you? An Iro gal this far out? Must be crazy, a lover, both, or just another individual out here for the cash. Which is it?"

“The winds are tamest on the ground.”
-Iromakuanhe Phrase

"Well, I believe in having a leader and never wavering from their side," Aashi said, remembering how the former captain of the Devata had resigned for her to take command. And command of the pirate ship she had taken for decades, until only recently. Until only very recently.

"I didn't catch your name, by the way. I am Aashi Nath. You have a keen eye for the Iroma, I see. Two very keen eyes, I might add."

She lifted her body up to sit against her back on the chair and knew she had to answer his hounding question, replying, "I've been in almost any territory you can count, save for most Yamataian. I only really stuck to the Outer Colonies and the Yugumo Cluster, there. So this isn't really that 'far out' for me. I was a captain of mercenaries a lot like you on my own ship before I met Uso."

She relaxed her head and let it fall to the side as she looked at him with pale blue eyes, the pupils of which were just a little lighter than they should be, a result of her long life absorbing fluorescence in the cones of her eyes, and said, "I'm not crazy, in love, or after cash, though I can guess which of the three you are."

Grumpy Sheriff:

"Uh, both teams disqualified for desertion." Arccos drawled over the loudspeaker, as her junkers re-converged and dismantled her wasteland referee's chair. Two scuttled off down the beach to return the junk to the salvage pile as the third on her working team followed Arccos keeping the beach umbrella over her head.

Arccos walked over to Uso, squinting slightly in the bright light of the day as she tapped on her datapad, and sipped from her wooden bowl.

"Uso, people keep requesting an audience with your 'Imperial Court' to present gifts of tribute or some bullshit like that..." Another sip from the bowl, "I'm going to start telling them I'm not your messenger service."

Screams on the Sand:

For those who run up the beach, they're treated to a scene as multiple groups of locals standing at an appropriate safe distance from the scene in question, gossip already at full power among local circles. Within the shrubs by the edge of the beach, a local woman sits huddled on the ground looking shocked, and offended. Her clothing is torn, and a slight bruise is starting to form on her neck. On the ground lays what looks vaguely like a rose. Or at least what people who once heard of a rose being described to them would think a rose looks like. This one in particular seems to be made of glass.

One of Arccos' Brigadier Deputies approaches a few steps behind the group of superhumans and wasps, and audibly grumbles "Not this shit again..."

Chirpy Mr. Metal, and Rarest of Meats:

The Junker keeping Sammy company would chirp a noise which could best be described as 'booweedlebedoot-dee-doot'. A happy sounding noise at least, as it started to compress another rough cube of wet sand fit for sculpting. This time it did not start to carve it however. Instead pointing its manipulator to the cube, then to Sammy, then back.

Maybe it wanted a trade?

Meanwhile, the Brigadier Deputies manning their barbecue would be wary of encroaching wasps. Generally doing their best to pretend the wasps weren't there. Their spit-roast was of a rare space beast (IE pork) which they'd pooled their paychecks together to afford from the Brigade's food-bank. The only place for the common public to buy imported goods to date... These wasps had not put the work in, so why should they share?

Hearing the brigadier Ace spun around with a serious look that would probably scare other people. "What's happening again? Who did this? When can I make them pay?" Ace cracked his knuckles and neck. Ace walked over to the woman got on one knee and held out his hand with a worried look on his face. "Are you okay miss? Did you see who did this to you? Its okay now your safe."

Brigadier Deputy Wants-His-Lunch, and Oh the Impropriety!:

"We got instructions to 'Not share information, or let other aliens interfere with ongoing investigations without permission of Thieftaker General Ark-Cozz.'" The Deputy told Ace. Clearly quoting something someone else had told him to say, and not impressed or pleased with the large alien's demeanor which came off as an attempt at intimidation at best.

The woman in question was about as attractive as the locals could come. Shorter than average, with curly brown hair and fine features. Slim, and slightly curvy with pale skin marked in places by small freckles. Half wearing an earth-tone dress with an elaborate bodice which had been torn at the shoulder and hip. She snatched up the glass flower beside her, almost in a panic. The sudden appearance of so many didn't seem to soothe her, if anything she seemed more terrified than ever that all these aliens had turned up to see her in such an 'indecent' position. It didn't exactly help that these aliens were basically naked compared to the many of those present on the beach...

Babbling something between an apology, a need to get away, and a 'how dare you!': She scrabbled backwards away from Ace as if he were a terrifying space monster, which to be fair he and everyone else who had gathered at this proximity practically was. All the locals were certainly keeping a distant perimeter? Maybe it was a planetary custom thing?

Once far enough away she sprung to her feet, and started to run away. The Brigadier Deputy just shook his head, taking out a bone-tipped fountain pen and some scraps of algae-based parchment to write down some notes.

Sand Sammy:

Sammy tilted his head to one side, peering at the expertly crafted cube of sand. He assumed the Junker wanted him to carve something, but he honestly felt that any attempt would pale in comparison to the neat, tidy cube that was already before him. Tentatively, he reached out a claw and poked it into the cube, before letting out an upset squeak as the sandy polygon collapsed from his touch. "O-oh no! I'm sorry!"

Meanwhile, the wasps surrounding the campfires seemed mostly content to observe and enjoy the tasty scent of cooking meat. A few brave engineers would scurry or toddle closer, chattering to the men in their bug language, but a loud sound or sudden movement deterred them easily enough.

Gutty to the Resc- Oh, wait. Everyone to the rescue:

An I'ee scurrying on all fours could move at a respectable pace, but it was no match for an augmented alien sprinting by like a gawky, two-legged cheetah. Gut-Stripe couldn't help but feel a hint of irritation and jealousy, her jaws grinding against one another; tempted to bite into Ace's legs and force him to crawl like her. Instead, the I'ee commander made the less petty and more respectable decision to spread her wings and take to the air, buzzing through the air at a far speedier pace. Even so, she arrived at the scene just as the woman, presumably the victim, had begun to run away.

Gut-Stripe barely paid her any heed as a result, landing with a poof of sand beside Ace and glancing around the scene, crouched like an angry cat in desperate need of clawing someone's eyes out. She observed the Deputy speak to Ace, tilting her head to one side before standing to her full height to get a better view of the man. "We work for Uso. Uso is the authority on this planet.", Gut-Stripe spoke, using her flawless bug logic. "You must tell us what has transpired here, or you are working against Uso, and are my enemy."
I also don't want to have flew all the way over here for nothing, thought the I'ee with a huff, tilting her head upwards slightly so the deputy could get a good look at her pretty mandibles.

The Tale of the Glass Rose

Corgan was so focused on the game, he almost thought he had imagined the scream. When several of the players left the court to investigate he knew it wasn't an auditory hallucination. Uso seemed more interested in the game, which wasn't surprising, but he could see this coming back to bite them in the ass later. Getting involved with local affairs could be a tricky situation. He decided he would rather know about a problem before it escalated.

He looked at the women on the court and knew he would get involved it they were the ones screaming. Maybe even Uso if no one else was around. "Hold on, Ace. I'll back you up." Corgan said begrudgingly. He turned and ran after Ace, arriving just in time to hear Ace question the Deputy. The answer implied he knew more than he let on. The girl's response seemed strange to him, but if someone had done what it looked like, it certainly was understandable. "Okay Ace, why don't you follow her? I'm going to see if Arccos knows anything. If you're not back in twenty minutes we'll come looking for you." He suggested as he turned and ran back to Arccos.

Looking up at Arccos he instinctively held up a hand to keep the sun out of his eyes. "Arccos, your Deputy over there seems to know something. He's saying you told him not to share information without your permission." Corgan explained. " Seems to me like we're involved now whether we like it or not. Something involving a high-class looking lady with a red glass rose. Might be someone sexually assaulted her." He said with disgust.

Ace yelled before punching the ground sending up a plume of sand several feet high. He snapped his head around to look at the deputy. "BULLSHIT YOU CAN'T TELL ME! I HOPE YOU ROT!" After that outburst Ace managed to calm down enough to understand what Corgan told him. "Yea your right Corgan Aries and I will handle it." Ace got up and sent a ping for Aries to arrive. As soon as she did he smiled. "Sorry for interrupting your date." He then stood up and went to catch up with the woman which was quite easy for him. "Sorry if I scared ya miss. I just can't stand seeing stuff like that. Here put this on its better than the tattered stuff you have on now." Ace took off his shirt and held it out for the woman. "Let's start with names I'm known as Ace. What about you? Also would you be more comfortable talking to another woman about this cause I have a friend nearby?"
Meanwhile on Dateline
Aries flickered for a second in front of Alastair. "Sorry about that just splitting myself Ace called." Appearing in front of Ace a copy of Aries appeared. "You know full well you didn't interupt anything."

Everyone piling off the beach had left him alone with a horny alien... and not the good kind. She'd announced herself as Aashi Nath, going on to give him quite the unexpected background. Expecting other roughnecks was one thing, but to think that Uso had brought an ex-pirate aboard her efforts? Their boss was growing more and more insane by the moment. Either that, of course, or simply daring.

"Well, I don't tend to hide my hand unless I'm with the enemy," he said while taking off his sunglasses and looking to her with his green eyes with a smirk, "But assuming I'm here for only the cash wouldn't be wise either. Believe it or not... I'm interested in a... bigger picture."

While he was likely considerably younger than the woman beside him, for a human he had lived an exciting and filled life for what years he did have on him. Replacing the sunglasses, his right hand left the spot behind his head to take hold of the cigarette. Moving it to the side, he'd give it the smallest of taps to send the cindering and charred edge falling free before Ronin brought it back.

"I was part of the Star Army back during the Second War. Saw the destruction that happened when the NMX could take on our fighters. Never was a fan of power-armor, but... well... when you work for money and have the chance to pilot a mecha like the ones that tore us up, you take it. Shoot up pirates and occasionally the rape-squids, get paid and laid, then right back into the grinder after repairs are made. A simple life and all that jazz."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back