Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: United Outer Colonies [UCS Vanguard, Former Asuka peeps] Mission to Mitsuya

Status
Not open for further replies.
"NOBORU!" Miyako shouted. There was going to be so much paperwork coming off the mission for her and Kogayane it could have added to her headache. She had barely tested the structure and hadn't relayed it's stability to any armours before he broke formation and zipped inside to play hero. "Do not jeopardize more causalities, the next person who pulls a dangerous stunt is going back to the ship. This is unacceptable." A single tone played in everyone's headset, prepping them.

One sounded in Miyako's, and she slipped through into the cave. Every few seconds after an armour would disappear in through the hole the tone would sound in the next, just in case the opening collapsed more than one person at a time wouldn't be caught in it. Lolion however didn't get one, he really was supposed to watch from the outside.

"Receiving your signal, how many members of your original team are alive? This is V-squad, please reply and ping locations." The Vanguard's XO tried to locate the source of the injured person, all the better if one of the medics could certify the soldier safe to move she could send Noboru back to the ship with her to receive treatment. Managing the situation as she sweat inside her armour, just like the battle against the nebula was the key. She couldn't let the feeling get to her, however more mild it was compared to that day.

"This is STAR ARMY!" Noboru shouted from somewhere a little farther into the cave. A halogen light strobed through the darkness, signalling about a two-foot difference in position from his XO. He turned towards her, and looked as defiant as possible in the pitch black.

"Throw whatever you want to at me. Court marshals don't help me sleep at night, and I'm going to try and save as many as I can."

Denkou followed at the beep, scrolling his sensors on full power across the walls, hoping to at least discover someone if they were buried. He also set up a constant loop broadcast on both a telepathic channel and the radio channel consisting of "This is Denkou Uindo of V-Squad. If you are able, respond."

"Noboru, this is NOT the Star Army, but the UOCPF. Stuff like this is why your old CO made you start at the very bottom rank. And if you keep this up, you won't see a promotion for a LONG, LONG time. You're already in a hell of a lot of trouble." Yumiko warned from the ship.

"Ughh..." A voice was heard...in his haste, Noboru had rushed right past the injured woman, who was just on the other side of the slide...

"....Thank...Kiyoko...the others...all alive, but some injured and trapped...I got through but...not without cost...the lower layers have...some sort of interference."

Her armor was blackened and caked with cooling volcanic rock, which was recently lava. Her leg armor was damaged, and her leg was likely irreparably damaged...

(OOC: Avoid the IC 300 references please, or there will be IC consequences for acting unprofessional in a life or death situation, in addition to disobeying orders and insubordination.)

(Just trying to lighten the mood, Toshiro. And I plan on making this a major turning point in Noboru's career and a massive step in character evolution, so no hard feelings OOC. Right?)

"Do I even sound like I care? The worst that can happen is I get discharged, and at any rate I'll just find another job." Noboru said bluntly.

"If you want me to stand idly by and do nothing while my bretheren die stranded alone, then fine by me Commander. But I know for a fact that if everyone in this damned tunnel dies because someone didn't act fast enough, I won't be able to sleep nights for the rest of my life. And I like my sleep, thank you very much."

What he was saying was insubordination, and he knew it, but he'd be damned if any of his bretheren died while he could have prevented it.

He hoped the message got through to at least somebody, but he doubted it would. And at best, he would at least be able to sleep at night knowing he would help someone.

"Lolion, help me out here! I need you to help carry the wounded out of here, I can't drag them, otherwise I risk injuring them further. Mist, I certainly hope you're ready with medical supplies if you have 'em." He then turned to the wounded soldier.

"Alright ma'am, just stay calm. We're getting you out of here." The halogen bulb lit both his armor and his fellow soldier's armor. "You'll be fine, trust me on this."

(OOCly, no hard feelings. ICly, he may still have to answer for insubordination, disobeying orders, and now mutiny ((trying to order the others to ignore his superior by giving conflicting orders)). Fair warning, okay?)

"Disregard. Mr. Noboru has an appointment with a containment cell." Miyako told the squad, and sure enough she sent a complex order back to the Vanguard. The MIKO aboard sprung into action, and to the belligerent man's dismay, control over his armour was quickly overridden. As soon as the hole was clear, his Tenshi shifted back then moved through it based on his own previous telemetry, and what sensors told the MIKO. Everything in his suit but a UOCPF symbol in his helmet display had gone dark. It didn't take long for him to be zipping into orbit, guided by the omnipresent AI.

"None of you, NONE of you will jeopardize this rescue. Am I understood? Reglo stay put outside you might be taking this one back. Minori! Check her out and prep her to be moved as soon as possible."

Standby a secondary team, please Yumiko? Also I believe there will need to be a few soldiers waiting for him when the suit touches down. We'll have interference lower, I'd like to try and relay from other armours if it's possible. Also a shuttle may be needed here. There's good signs we might be lava skating, suggestions? Miyako relayed to her privately.

Kotonoha tried to interface with the fallen armour as she stood vigilant, looking for the path the woman had come through, trying to download where her systems said she had come from to lead them back to the rest. "Can you key your systems to give me access?" She asked her fallen comrade.

Yuki sped into the cave, following the others when it was her turn.

"Eh? Uh, Hai!"

She almost landed next to the injured woman, floating just inches off the ground as she looked over the victim, afterall they were still to avoid landing when possible to prevent further disruptions to the earth right? Yuki took immediate notice of the injury to the lower half of the body. That wasn't good. Everything else was covered with volcanic soil, so it was too hard to tell much else. If the woman had been hit hard enough there coule be internal bleeding and broken bones, which a overview on the outside of the armor wouldn't help with.

The caretaker moved herself and the injured woman around, mostly herself though, and got herself into a good position to move. "Ready to move her, Sub-Lieutenant. Ano... permission to take her back to the ship for emergency care? She doesn't seem to be in good of shape."

"No! N-n-no!" Noboru jerked his arms spasmodically, desperately trying to turn his armor around, to head back to the surface, to do whatever was necessary to save his troops, his bretheren, his brothers and sisters.

Try as he might, the armor wouldn't budge. It was useless; he was bound to a course and couldn't move or shift a single centimetre.

Whoosh. Stabilizers flicked to life as the uncontrollable armor entered a holding pattern around the mission zone.

"DAMN!" Noboru attempted one last time to move his armor, but to no avail; the metal cage wouldn't give the Recruit-turned-pseudo-traitor an inch of yield; instead it only tightened its leash, absolutely and vehemently denying every attempt Noboru made to return the Tenshi to his control.

Instead, it exited the atmosphere and headed for the Vanguard. Tired, but not ready to give up yet, Noboru continued to jerk feebly at the controls of the stony Tenshi, attempting to redirect his course again.

"Gods be condemned, I hate this situation!" Noboru still couldn't move the armor despite putting all of his strength into it.

Thud-thud. Feet uncontrolled by the Tenshi's passenger touched down on the flight deck. Noboru looked at the bay, empty beside his dirty Tenshi, his prison cage, his-

The chest cavity promptly opened, and out fell Noboru. Flustered, he managed to stumble over to his locker and pull on his uniform. He tossed the Xazer to the side, across the bay, and buried his uncovered face in his hands, curled against the wall of the hangar. He smashed his head against the side as hard as he could. The pain didn't do anything but make him feel worse, so he went back to just sitting against the bulkhead, near tears.

(ooc: Fyi Lolion understands chain of command and thats why after this last order to stay put outside he knows not to push the bounds anymore. I am playing Lolion as having an issue with the mission in general and ill have him voice his concerns to Miyako after the mission but to top it all off, i am trying to avoid all of the cliches but before this mission even started In Lolion's past he caused an avalanche with some explosives which severely injured his friends as well as himself so if that add some understanding to his actions and worries when hes on shaky ground. like i said im not making this up as i go along or trying to create him as this guy with a lot of past issues but this was part of his history i was thinking up really before i submitted him. so no hard feelings oocly im just playing his character as i have made him to be. you'll understand more when Miyako questions him later...lol.)

"Understood" Lolion said to Miyako's orders not trying to sound angry yet a hint of it escaped though his voice. Lolion was angry at all that was happening right now. Lolion knew he was not innocent in this matter but thankfully he had learned to suck up his pride and issues and just follow orders. "Today has been one bad deja vu after another" he though to himself waiting for Miyako to tell him what to do next.

A group of Peacekeepers with arms were waiting in the hangar bay, with Yumiko...she was NOT happy.

"Multiple counts of Disobeying orders, Insubordination, Attempted Mutiny against a Superior Officer, Unprofessional Behavior on a Mission, and Resisting Automated Retrieval...do NOT add anything else to the list. You're going to the brig."

Cadet Wakahisa, prepare for wounded!

Yumiko then sent, telepathically.

A shuttle launched from the Vanguard as well as the Companion, and descended through the atmosphere. Neither landed fully, and 2 secondary teams on each ship waited for the order to deploy from Miyako. Medical staff waited in full readiness in the ships, and two Medics were in each shuttle.

"Yes...stay above the lava as you've been doing, and check the techtonic activity of the area. If you get a spike, get out of there."

Access to the injured Peacekeeper's suit was granted to Miyako.

"...Still here....I came up from that way..."

She pointed down a half-collapsed tunnel...

"Take her to Reglo, he'll take her to the shuttles." Miyako announced to the squad, feeding the data to the rest of the team. "Then form back up with us at rear, Minori." The XO sent a private line to the wounded soldier, "Your work is done here, please trust this to us."

"Move out, if tectonic activity spikes you are authorized to retreat. Do not enter the lava." The single file staggered formation became revisited when the girl darted through the near-collapsed passage, ready to use the same maneuver she did before if needed but what she wanted to do was reach the downed team fast, before she had to risk more of them. Her communicator linked to the amour behind her, that one behind that, all the way to Lolion's then to the shuttles. She hoped that would keep them in contact with the ships. I miss teleportation pods..

Roken remained silent as he stayed in formation with the remainder of the squad, he was surprised by Noboru’s actions but he brushed it aside knowing that there were others still trapped. What surprised him the most was the XO’s maneuver that helped them get through the cave in.

“Understood,” Roken waited for the next move as his armor received the communication link sent by the squad leader. He was thinking about taking the next one to help take the stress off Miyako’s Armor. “XO if needed I could make the next breach if necessary.” Roken hopped that his request would not go the wrong way.

"Yeah yeah yeah, I'll answer to your petty claims Commander. But if several people that could have made it out of that cave alive don't come out alive because someone didn't act fast enough, you won't be able to blame me for that." With that single statement, Noboru allowed himself to be taken into custody and carted off to the brig.

Denkou followed directly behind Miyako, figuring that if nothing else, his reaction time might save her if it started to cave in again. Shaking his head slightly at Noboru's idiocy ((ooc: Sorry, but that's the way he would see it. Remember he has led squads, so that would kind of piss him off.)) He set his sensors to almost full power searching for signs of tectonic ability, rather than life, figuring that it would be better to at least get the team out even if they couldn't save everyone.

Before he was carted off, Yumiko turned her lip up in a snarl, and slapped Noboru in the face. HARD.

"And what would happen if your reckless actions caused a cave in, huh? I've read your history. The last time you went against orders, you attacked friendly forces! Why your old commander didn't COURT MARTIAL you and just ordered remedial training is beyond me! You have shown yourself incapable of following the orders of a superior, and unable to pilot a Power Armor without endangering others!"

Yumiko's eye twitched as she let the man have it.

"The reason Miyako is your leader is because she has more management skill, and is able to take into account the risks involved, the status of her people, and the status and danger of the environment around her. She can then order personnel to do what is necessary in the swiftest way safely possible as permitted by the situation. Had you rushed into a lava stream or caused damage to the place, we'd have to dig out one more body, and the others could have had MORE harm done to them. Gung-Ho actions made without analyzing the environment and keeping one's self composed are asking for casualties....that goes for battle AND rescue...I don't know who trained you at Fort Ready, because I can't see how you ever made it out of there. You have no skills, no restraint, and no respect for the chain of command."

"Then maybe I don't belong in the army. But I would rather be dead and burning in a lava pit down there-" Noboru pointed out the closed bay doors to the planet inevitably below- "-than being stranded up here." With that, he remained silent and level-headed and allowed the guards to take him away.

"If I had caused a cave-in, I know it probably would have killed a lot more than it saved. But I probably would have killed myself down there saving another life anyways. If I can't follow your orders correctly, maybe I don't belong in the army- maybe I don't belong in any army. But I knew when I joined that there would be an opportunity to save some lives, and I didn't know that I would be hindered by my own so-called "recklessness". So damn that fiery pit down there. Damn it all the way back to hell. I hope you like running squads one man short, because I'm going to be seeing a lot more of that prison cell than your face, Commander."

"...You're right about that, BOY."

Yumiko said, regarding the mention of a prison cell.

"You're hereby stripped of all rank and imprisoned for the rest of the mission. Upon our return to the United Outer Colonies, you will be Court Martialed. Should a court martial not be possible at that time, you'll be transferred to the Tokyo Military Prison until such a time you can be tried for your crimes.

You've proven yourself incapable of serving in this or any other armed organization. And I will do my damnedest to see that you never get to put on a Peacekeeper uniform again.

Oh, and I'm a Commodore. If you're going to act high and mighty, maybe you'll sound less like an ignorant fool if you got my RANK correct."

With that, Noboru was hauled off and tossed in a cell.

"Hai." Yuki carefully picked up the injured soldier, paying special attention to the legs, and floated herself out of the cave system. She banged herself against a few rocks, but kept the woman being rescued safe from any further harm. "Don't worry, we're going to get you out of here and fixed up. Etto, just take care of your self and we'll handle everything else."

Finally emerging from the cave, the caretaker shifted the soldier around slightly to allow Lolion to pick her up easily. "Etto, take her to the shuttles, Peacekeeper," she said to Lolion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back