• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Alliance of the Black Sun

I said memes, I meant memes. If what I do now/am going to do is typical anime hero-ish, that's really just coincidental.

This is one round of flags I have made for this. Presenting to the community so those interested can make their opinion.

ai.imgur.com_lVo27WI.png
ai.imgur.com_WYixHQ7.png
ai.imgur.com_XmVgDJq.png
ai.imgur.com_vk3TrBV.png

My personal preference is the first one.

So I've just realised how much work I already have with the USO as it is, so I might not be able to help for a while. I like the idea though, and wish you guys the best of luck with your endeavor.

Working title. It's just what we all happened to hit on at the time when we needed something to call it.

By the way, what races are going to be in this, and what makes it different/stand out from something like the USO?

The comparison I immediately drew when I saw the name was the "Black Claw Empire". Had to do a double take to really take in the name.

*shrug* Not necessarily relevant. Just what I thought I the time I first looked at this thread.

The Black Star is also a Nepleslian logo.

Which logo are you referring to?

Edit: Nevermind - I'm pretty sure Uso is referring to this:

fetch.php

For now, its the Vekimen, the Morioka Clan, and a variety of Nepleslian and Jiyuuian outcasts. I honestly don't know too much about 188604, but as far as I know, there are multiple plots, but A. Uso is in direct control over a lot of the faction, so she's essentially the empress, B. its astrographically isolated and relatively unknown ICly. The BSA, or whatever we call it, on the other hand will be built upon the idea of variously distinct factions meeting as equals to fight against external threats and do some internal infighting over various assets. The faction will also be right in the thick of the sector, so people can more easily visit and RP there.

Could be wrong about the points on 188604, I've unfortunately had other things to do than read it.

In reference to the "Black Star", they are pulling from the old Vekimen Religion revolving around something called the "Black" which was said to be a star that produced no light, but give them the heat they need to survive on a planet. Said star is currently on the Vekimen Flag. If "Stealing from Nepleslia" is a concern.

Further more, The Vekimen, Humanoids like run away Nepleslians, I believe the Ottyo, and the Pact will be in this to some regard. It is different from USO because all the reasons Acewing mentioned.

I have also sent an email to the licencing department of Boy Scouts of America asking them if they have copywritten the initialism BSA in its entirety, and if not how we would be able to utilize it without breaching their trademark.

@Alex Hart, @FrostJaeger, @Zack

How much of a mover and shaker is this new faction going to be? Because unless you want to steal designs and ships out from dock, you're gonna have to start from scratch, building up just like 188604 did.

How much of a mover and shaker is this new faction going to be? Because unless you want to steal designs and ships out from dock, you're gonna have to start from scratch, building up just like 188604 did.

We already have people on tech building and everything of the sorts, with other governments and companies assisting in various ways. Unlike USO, which started out as hermits in their own swath of galaxy way off the current sector map, we are currently undergoing political talks both OOC and IC via JP's to get things going as smooth and effectively as possible.

Expansion might be hard.

That all depends on how we plan on expanding. I've already mapped out possibly expansion and implant points on the map. Given we are starting out where the Vekimen are, we either do the simple task of moving about 200,000 Vekimen to a new planet ((Maybe one that doesn't have toxic pollen)) and start in a different location, or we can just implant various points of contact on the map. We have more options than some may think that may not be as straight forward as being out in the middle of no where not even on the sector map, but we have space and the ability to move.

All of this really evokes the Black Sun, tbh. Might wanna stray away from that stuff! It's bad news.

I feel like the flag should have better colors than gray, and you might want to cut down the amount of symbols on it so it's easier to draw.

I have similar concerns over the name "Black Star" kind of overlaps with the "Star Army" and the "Black Claw" and as Zack mentioned, there's already a faction that uses a black star, which is Nepleslia. Side note: And I wouldn't suggest a red star either because it's so connected with IRL communism. I spoke with Arieg about that the other day.

But also I'm worried about the site being big enough to support all these new factions springing up, as the overall amount of players hasn't really grown since the time when there were only a few factions around. Balkanization of the plots, I worry, is trapping characters in factions where they can't easily leave a plot when they end or die out, like what happened with the Neshaten, and players are creating more characters in general, so they can put a foot in each faction, causing more posting responsibilities, which in turn may lead to burnout.

I think great factions great because they can work out their problems instead of everyone splitting off to do their own thing, thinking they can do better...because the endgame of that sort of thinking is everyone running their own little faction, factions that are weak because they don't have a sufficient amount of people running their workings. It's a classic "too many chiefs, not enough indians," scenario. And those type of factions in SARP have a proven history of dying as soon as the core creators become inactive (Abwehrans, UOC, Neshaten, Freespacers, Iroma, etc). Factions ending isn't necessarily bad if their story has been told and the RP was fun and has a conclusion, but in these examples they had players abandoned in the middle of unfinished RPs.

Additionally Nepleslia and Yamatai are also great factions because they are each the sum of over a decade's worth of content and lore building, and many many RPs that had life to their histories. It's really difficult to make a new faction, and I hope there's enough of you guys willing to really put it the work if you do this. Obviously everyone has to start somewhere but you'll have a long road ahead of you to get on Nepleslia's level, and don't expect to get "OG faction" treatment until you've proven this new faction is here to stay, which could be a while. It's hard not to compare this to Yamatai losing the UOC, and I know what it's like to be in Gunhand's shoes with plots walking. But the UOC did eventually earn my respect and I think if its leadership didn't vanish it could probably be here today.

I have also sent an email to the licensing department of Boy Scouts of America asking them if they have copywritten the initialism BSA in its entirety, and if not how we would be able to utilize it without breaching their trademark
Please do not act on my behalf concerning any legal issues relating to my site such as trademarks. I should be the only one to handle all legal matters for Star Army. If BSA is their trademark, we should not use it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back