• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

OOC Black Knights/Byakuren Discussion

Sorry for the one liner, traveling tonight. Most likely won't check the site tonight or tomorrow due to business meeting. Feel free to have Sumaru follow orders.

Your ride home is here!

Unless you have a pressing need to meet another bunch of rogue samurai in battle, I suggest your write your characters into returning to the ship. Don't forget Kyoko and Sora, whom both will need to be carried with care (stretchers or something of the sort likely being the ideal way to move them).

Ah, Konoka you misread my last post. Shizuko's not the one whose limping -- it's Reika. Shizuko is just helping her walk about the ship.

Geeze, look at her go :3 ...hyper-caffeinated neko's are scary...

I have a sinus infection and keep waking up at 2 p.m. Sorry for the lack of posting. I'll try to get something up later today but I have a lot of stuff to do and way less daytime than usual.

Sorry, Khasidel - edited my post.
And yeah...This is one of the few situations where Konoka's super-ADHD-ness becomes useful. She sees and shouts about EVERY wounded person around so she can get them treated . And all at once.

My next post is up.

I pushed things along some. Everyone is inside the ship.

- Saiga is on deck 1 (bridge).
- Kotori, Fuyu, Akiko, Shizuko, Reika and Arkase are on Deck 2 (lounge).
- Konoka, Miyuki, Sora, Sumaru and Kyōko are on Deck 3 (sickbay).

I'm giving Raz some breathing room to get over his cold before he is joined by more people on the bridge. By the time they arrive, hopefully he'll be fit enough to post.

I suggest Arkase pitch in by providing first aid to Fuyu and Akiko using the medkit he has at his disposal.

Konoka and Miyuki can interact in the medlab along with Sora and Sumaru with the whole 'saving lives' roleplay medics are supposed to do.

Also, Khasidel, totally noticed the art update. Reika makes Wes' new uniform look good. =P

Wasn't Fuyu really messed up? Then again, I might be getting all their injuries mixed up. I know someone was cut open, but I'm in a rush after finishing that post and I don't want to go back and check it out right now.

If I screwed up somewhere, let me know, and I'll make the appropriate edits; the words should stay the same, though.

It's Reika whom overall survived a whole lot of pummeling/blasting without keeling over.

Fuyu was involved in the crash, though aside from the shock she was relatively unscathed. But after that she got her shoulder roasted by an NSP, and then got some bruises by getting pummeled by her own door.

Akiko got a NSP burn on the belly that is mostly surface scorching thanks to the relatively tough SAoY uniform. Then she got perforated by some bone-hook in the left armpit and then her arm was loped off mid-bicep ... only it's been sewn on... though the bonding of the arm at this point is likely only on the level of veins and muscles trying to match together - bone will take a whole lot longer.

The worst Shizuko got is torn skin over her left shoulderblade where a bone-tentacle failed to spear her through. Aside from that, she's got some scrapes and bruises from wrestling with a samurai... but those are only a bit tender.

Raz, a FYI note for you.

FTL travel has changed a bit and interdiction doesn't work quite the same way as it did before.

Planets have Hill spheres, which is the area defined by their gravity wells. Typically, starships are not capable of significantly using thier FTL drives until they emerge from them. Within those 'spheres', those ships usually rely on intertial control thruster power, and short sublight hops (very brief use of fraction-FTL speeds - i.e.: a 1 second hop at 0.3c covers 100 000km).

For reference's sake, Earth's Hill Sphere is slightly around 1 500 000km. Jupiter is around 52 000 000km.

The danger of sublight jumps is that while you're making the hop, your CDD is wholly dedicated to movement. You may be faster, but if a fast weapon does connect with your ship (guided near-FTL torpedoes are one clear danger) it catches you sadly unprotected.

Once out of an Hills sphere, then CDD is capable of going past sublight to superluminal speeds. Warp-style FTL is slower than fold, but it also has the benefit of being less obvious to detect. Fold drives, a lot faster and much more showy, typically require a charge time before engaging.

Interdiction fields no longer really happen, since planets themselves kind of act like them now. However, it doesn't stop ships able to apply gravitons (like most tractor beams do). As long as gravitons can be applied on a target, and it doesn't matter if there's a positive lock or if shields are up, it'll prevent all kinds of FTL travel (sublight jumps included).

If a faster ship catches up with another while going at superluminal speeds, it can also maneuver in position to use its graviton devices and yank its target back to normal space.

If I get Nicholas' context, he'd be trying to jump to sublight the moment they clear the atmosphere in order to quickly clear Kotori III's Hill Sphere (assume it's Earth-like). Once outside, and provided the fold drive is charged (you can charge it inside the Hill Sphere; you just can't use it until you're out), then the Premier One could hurtle away into Hyperspace.

Wes uses this a bit, but I like my space stuff to make sense so this FTL crash course is probably a good thing to keep in mind in the future. Heck, I might even make a 'recommended reading' wiki page of it in the future.

Actually, the hyper-limit for planet Kotori would be 381,708.71 km, going from the available stats for the planet and its star. (This value might be slightly off due to the fact only the planets average orbital radius is available, when one actually needs to know the semi-major axis of the orbit -- a value which isn't available on any of the wiki pages. I'm assuming that the planet's orbit is essentially a near-perfect circle, rather than a more realistic ellipse.)

Coincidently, this is the same radius at which the planets lagrange points appear -- the optimal points in which stations can be placed without being heavily influenced by the gravity of the planet or the star.

I always thought it was silly using the hill sphere as planetary hyperlimits though -- the value isn't dependant on the size of the planet alone, but by the mass of both planet and its paired star, plus the planets orbit. That means many hyperlimits -- like this one -- can be fairly tiny. An enemy could come out of FTL in short range for weapons, and begin instantly bombarding the planet with beams with only a couple of seconds delay. They could also fire immediately torpedoes and missiles and saturate system defenses.

It would have been better, in my opinion at least, to make an FTL limit based on the star's mass alone. Something that keeps ships from getting too close to the inner system without a chance of being intercepted by defenders. Or giving pirates a chance at intercepting for RP purposes. There's no chance of piracy against civilian commerce if civie ships can essentially jump to and from planets without exposing themselves inbetween. Like the stars snow-limit -- the point after which gas giants would have begun to form during system formation.

Enough ranting :D

For anyone who is interested, you can use the following link to calculate the hill sphere/hyper-limit of a planet. You do need enough info about the planet and it's star though.

Hill Sphere calculator

I was going to do something cool like this but figured I shouldn't just in case people had other ideas. Apparently they do.

I'll change "atmosphere" to "Hill Sphere" because the post still works. He was just waiting for the IES to turn the "GO FTL" button green. And since he "punched it" with really fast sublight engines, I'm thinking a few seconds to get there is still fair.

Though I'd like to note that I've participated in canon RP where you can FTL jump from anywhere around a planet. So it makes absolutely no sense that the actual physics of the SARPverse changed. How do you even reconcile that. Like a character could tell a story about this crazy battle they were in where they jumped from within the Hill Sphere and another character could then just be like "lol no"? That's retarded.

But you're just GMing, Fred, so it's not your fault. Just venting because senseless changes are senseless.

Yeah, I think they retconned the way all the FTL systems work a couple years back, before I joined the site. There seem to be a few inconsistencies between how thing's used to work and how they're supposed to work in the present. *shrugs*

... and that doesn't even take into consideration the switch between the old map scale and its distances to the new clustered map system. Travel times between planet's are going to change a fair bit, if that ever get's fully enforced by gm's. :p

Not to burst the bubble of your GM's supposed claims to greatness and how senseless Hill spheres are senseless... it is kind of my fault.

I came up with the idea, after all. Wes is just the poor admin I convinced to go along with it.

SSharp said:
Wasn't Fuyu really messed up? Then again, I might be getting all their injuries mixed up. I know someone was cut open, but I'm in a rush after finishing that post and I don't want to go back and check it out right now.

If I screwed up somewhere, let me know, and I'll make the appropriate edits; the words should stay the same, though.

Really late on this but... At the ten hour vigil, Fuyu floated the entire ten hours to spare her feet the ache. After asking Doshii (As Wes didn't give me a clear answer) what would happen, he told me she'd be 'out of energy' so to speak for floating for so long.

Being in the crash, and being shot in the arm was the straw that broke the camel's back. Her body being so exhausted couldn't properly heal the wound, and when she 'willed' it to try in the heat of nearly being pasted by a Samurai... She drained what she had left as a result she could have bled out within a couple of hours.

No one seems to think that NH-29 are as tough as I do. >_>;

Anyhow...

Khasidel, am I getting a pilot post from you as reply to Raz'?

Khasidel, made a slight correction to your previous post. I realized Soresu's character Yuriko is going by the surname "Towa" of late, so, I edited it for you.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back