• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: SNV Gam'trosha [Chapter 3.2] The Unknown Jui'varen!

Cargo Hold

Ye'gor slowly made his way towards the gathering as he nursed what pain he had left over from his injuries. He had been given a shot back in Medical; but it was still fresh enough that his system was still working on getting it everywhere. Upon reaching the rest, the engineer check to see whether anyone had formed up, or if everyone was still milling about.

Cargo Hold

Accompanying Ye'gor was Seu, the four-legged My'leke doctor who had just been added to the ship's roster of available medical personnel. He provided the young Laibe a shoulder to lean on should he need it, and he kept a careful eye on his recovery.

And even if Ye'gor protested, Seu would not hear of it. "Your recovery is our responsibility," the older My'leke explained, walking carefully alongside the vulpine biped. "I shall accompany you until you feel fit enough to walk without wincing, lad. I can see it on your face. Is this your first major trauma, sir?"

Cargohold

"No... and that has me worried," Sa'kira said, as one of her fingers tapped nervously on her arm. "A science team on the transport reports that the minerals in the ground below us are playing havoc with communications; so they've had to start setting up comm. boosters around the perimeter, all away teams are required to take with them several portable booster that can be set up, their range is shorter but could make the difference between life and death. Had I known we would run into this I would've asked that a communications vessel be added to our squadron...."

Cargo Hold

Def'leor pondered what Sa'kira had said. 'Surely the team would have turned around when they found they were cut off from communications. That was the logical solution for team if they had lost complete contact. But what if the same minerals caused some other issues.'

She looked out at the scenery before her, it looked so beautiful from above, but now one had to wonder what menaces were lying out there.

"Ship Mistress, could the same minerals that are interfering with communications also affect navigational systems. Most of them depend on electronic components to measure distances, speed, and a navigational link. If any of those were compromised. The first team could be anywhere including driving in circles." she said voicing her concerns.

Zes'kas was lagging a bit behind, had to gather up everything he needed from the medbay, and organize the medical kit the way he liked it. Double-checking the kit, and his person, he jogged to arrive a little less late.

When he arrived, he scanned the bay, finding where everyone was gathering, and heading to them. He was bouncy as usual, "Hello again! Zes'kas reporting in!"

Ye'gor's tail swished a little, his ears slightly flattened back from neutral, as he listened to his second posterior appendage. It wasn't enough that this My'leke had no hostility towards him - that the four footed help insisted on keeping an eye on him to ensure he remained ok, only raised further questions to mildly frustrate him. Of course, to make matters worse, Seu's reminders of his injuries only made the engineer further frustrated over an incident resulting from personal weakness, stupidity, and above all else, failure.

The young Laibe's tail twitching increased when asked the question about his injuries. "Are you asking me if I was stupid enough to put myself into such a situation a second time?" he half growled, betraying the immaturity he held, hiding behind his intelligence, "No. This is the first time it happened. I also will not allow it to happen again under such preventable circumstances."

Seu's long ears twitched forward, and then one of them swivelled backwards. "My my, aren't we hard on ourselves," he murmured, sitting down next to Ye'gor as they waited for others to assemble on deck. "Well, I'm sure that metal railing will have another thing coming once you've shown it who's boss." He smiled though, his manner wry. "But in all honestly, I think a tranquilizer or two might help you to feel better. Would you object to a comfortable drink somewhere after the proceedings?"

Cargo Hold

Keri'cruen came running into the cargo hold and slid to a halt a few moments behind Zes'kas. During the last four hours the young kit had removed and turned over the external camera to Quin down in engineering so that she could extract the data that De'fleor wanted, while he returned to the crew lounge to complete the disassembly of the damaged view port planes so that they would be able to restore atmospheric integrity to the compartment. He had finished the task, finally, so when they inevitably needed to depart the planet there would hopefully be no problem after they again entered the vacuum of space.

"I'm here, I'm here, sorry I'm late I only just managed to finish." Keri reported in a speedy and almost unintelligable huff, then took a deep breath to recover from his run. After a moment he asked, "Did I miss anything?"

Cargo Hold

Def'leor turned to Zes'kas and Keri. "Hello again Zek'as, Keri'cruen. Seems this planet we landed on has a few challenges for us. Communications are being hindered so we will need to set up signal boosters as we go to maintain a link to the Gam'trosha. Also our initial patrol is out of contact. Most likely due to the same situation, so we may have to try and find them. Prep a Creniya Light Tank and strap plenty of signal boosters to the aft of it. We move out once its loaded."

Ye'gor rolled his eyes at the comment about showing a railing who was boss. That said, he was unsure how he would manage such a thing to begin with; however it was possible the medic was telling a joke. The engineer relaxed a little, but then the topic of drinking came up.

"I do not believe I am old enough for that," he replied in his usual monotone.

Cargohold

Sa'kira had been thinking about that, the possibility that the minerals in the rocks could be causing interference; it was a known fact that even on their homeworld there were minerals in the rocks that made communications difficult. "That is certainly possible, our supply transport will be sending up fliers shortly to search," she said and turned toward her XO, it was a bit disappointing to see only a few here and turned around completely to address them. "Regardless, our mission still stands though despite the problems; search out this planet and discover the cause of the interference, at the same time, investigate the planet as a viable option for colonization. But, the most important of these, is to investigate the strange weather we ran into during our descent. I would like to know if its natural, or artificially, created; one of our companion ships spotted a cave system south southwest of our location just before we landed so that is probably the first place to start looking... and becareful, we don't know what kind of animal life is on this planet, they may be friendly, or hostile."

Cargo Hold

Seu just laughed at that. "Who said anything about alcohol," he chuckled, and then settled in to listen to the briefing...

"What are the atmospheric conditions like?" he then asked after Sa'kira finished speaking. "That is what is the breathable content? Is there anything that explorers need to worry about with regards to life support?"

Cargo Hold

Ye'gor quirked a brow at Seu's words about the air as he noticed the main ramp door was down and some of the breeze from outside was making its way in. The young Laibe took a deep breath in, as much as his chest would allow, then let it out. "Seems breathable to me," he commented.

Shar was standing a bit behind everyone, not making sound and not making her appearance too known. She saw quite a bit of new faces she did not really know. That was fine though, she just hoped she won't have to babysit them, should they get into fight. Who knew what kind of wildlife they could expect, maybe there were some crazy alien hyper dinosaurs. Shar grew not trusting to basic training kits got those days. She knew Keri could take care of himself, and natturaly all My'lekke were fighters.

"So Boss-lady, do we get to take out a tank finally? In case of... bears or something." Shar asked jokingly.

"I don't think Armored vehicles would be necessary for wildlife," the familiar voice of everyone's favorite Software Engineer reverberated behind Shar, tone dripping with sarcasm --- though not maliciously so. With the treatment done to his nose, he was at least speaking properly now. He still held an ice pack to his muzzle to cool the bruising to lessen the swelling.

He had actually been there for a while listening patiently to the briefing. However, lame jokes were a distraction and he had little tolerance for distractions during important meetings. Especially distraction made by silly people using silly informal titles for their superior.

"Pardon, Sah. Do we have any specific objectives for our exploration? Are we to concentrate on minerals for exploitation, flora and fauna to determine viability for colonization, or are we to --- multitask," he asked the Ship Mistress, deciding that saying 'going about all willy-nilly with their heads up their bums' would be a bit tactless.

Cargo Hold

Def'leor turned to Shar, "We are taking the tank because something on this planet damaged the Gam'trosha, burned a hole right through our hull. Our first recon team has not communicated, nor returned when they could not contact us. We are going into a potentially hazardous area and the tank is the only remaining vehicle sufficient for the task. Also in order to restore communications we need to carry signal boosters, so unless you plan on carrying them on your back the vehicle is the only choice. Speaking of which you can start loading the signal boosters onto the back end of the tank and secure them."

She then looked at Erm'olai, "Our mission is multi-role. First, investigate the source of the signal interference, investigate the site where that storm that we flew through and sustained damage to determine if it was natural or otherwise. Lastly our mission objective of determining if this planet is viable for colonization also remains."

Cargo Hold

Ye'gor's ears twitched when he heard a familiar voice. His cabinmate had deigned to make the meeting, and it brought him some relief. That wasn't the best of it however - the young Laibe was about to, not only set foot on, but explore a world that few had ever seen before.

The engineer's ears and tail relayed the interest he had in actually having a look, though his face seemed to remain neutral. He wanted to go outside, even if it could kill him.

Cargo Hold

Def'leor turned to Sa'kira. "With your permission ma'am." she said and then crossed the hold to the tank. She climbed up to the hatch so she could obverse the team making their preparations. She looked out at the darkening surface. 'What secrets are you hiding? Where are our people?' she thought. She was a bit nervous about the mission, after all something on this planet burned a whole through the Gam'trosha. What protection was the tank going to be if the same event was directed at them.

Cargohold

Sa'kira glanced at her Lexicon briefly before turning her gaze back toward the outside. "Please disembark and begin your mission, report in once every thirty mitura's. A flight of scouts will be disembarking from the transport within the next fifteen mitura's and will provide some overwatch for you." As she stopped speaking eyes wondered toward a group of tanks that were moving out in a direction opposite of that which the away team would be going, this was followed by a number of science transports.

Shar did not care too much. Dangerous planet or not. Back home it was dangerous as well, Gam'trosha was hit by terrorists so often it might have just started sending invitation to thebiggest terrorist families. Jungle planet with mystic storms? Well at least it will be new kind of danger. Shar put on her helmet and walked to the tank where Def'leor waited. "You going to be driving Lex?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back