• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 2.1] Squids Come Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kame to raised an eyebrow in mute surprise about the lights turning off. Point to one side of the pad then the other, she then respond "Yep, however the trick is to make the durdandium pad a hollow rectangle closed loop or Faraday cage, becuase Faraday's law forces one, for conductors, to mathematically to integrate over or consider the entire structure. Without going into much math, basically--"
As she finished pushing the pad and the mishuu object into box Eternity chimed in:
Eternity said:
Santo Hei O'Kutsuu, the part of the Nodal System carrying matter directly to the Fabrication Bay's Nanocolonies was at 60% power. All of the nanocolony containers were at 66% power. Since we were short on silicon since the last mission I already programed the colonies taking in CO2, CO, Copper particles as the substrate and CuO2 as the oxide. The molecular assembly of graphene started a bit rough; however, with the power fluctuations gone, I estimated that the Nanocolonies should be done with at least 4 of the 6 graphene pads you requested, by the time you get here.

"--Thanks Eternity, " Kame changed tones then continued, "So Anderson-Hei basically we are making the same hollow square structure in 3D though and we will have to do it simultaneously in case this thing.... ''wakes up''. So grab a power armor capacitor and whatever else you think you'll need from a nearby locker to wield or bond the graphene plates then help me carry this to fabrication bay. There I need to you plug in the aether generator you have to help speed the fabrication bay along and then assist me in synchronized wielding."

As well with nanocolonies at 66% power it looks like a won't need those graphene flakes to assist in growth still if this thing "wakes up" and can attack with its glowing "eyes", we may need a power armor capacitor and the broken cord I made to stop it from hurting both of us. Also I wonder if Tomas-Hei knows synchronized wielding is once considered in some space ports and cultures to be an olympic sport.

Tomas considered Kame's words as they moved the offending object into the fabrication area. "Well, I am not a technician, I'm ship's cook. But I have a little training with welding as part of damage control training. Hopefully that will be sufficient." he answered.

Ko completed the scan that the Taii had requested. The sensors detected a number of intermittent EM sources. "Ise-Taii, I have detected a number of EM sources, but they are intermittent. Almost as if they are turning off. I would suggest that we approach one of the sources and try for a visual."

Katae pondered the risk, "Provide Yamamoo-Hei with the coordinates for the closest source. Yamamoo-Hei lay in a course approach dead slow, I don't want to run into a mine or some other trap."

Trowa read the coordinates and did a quick scan of the area. At the moment, the remaining NMX destroyers were too far away attack them. But even so, Trowa didn't like the idea of approaching something "dead slow". They would me a sitting target. But he trusted the Taii.

"Aye, aye Ma'am." Trowa slowed the ship almost to a stop and then tap the thrusters to keep them moving. As they neared the target, Trowa did another scan to see were the destroyers were then slowed the Aeon down to "dead slow". But he kept one hand over the thrusters in case their target was something like a mine and they had to get out of there in a hurry.

Katae monitored their advance towards the area where the strange readings were last detected. With no immediate enemy presence she was content to indulge in her curiousity. When the gunship was within 2,000 meters she initiated a visual scan. "All stop, manuevering thrusters to station keeping." she ordered.

On the main screen an object came into view. It was a polygon painted a flat black. It was slowing tumbling along its axis. As it continued on its rotation, an opening could be seen. Inside of it were four missiles of unknown capacity. What the heck, sneaky sons of the dark... some sort of perimeter defense, and probably a detection device.

"Yamamoo-Hei, back us up slowly maneuvering thrusters only. Nothing that might give the object something to trigger on. Once you reach 10,000 meters resume station keeping and locate as many of those items within range. Coordinate with the Science station to get your coordinates. We are going to clear the sky." Katae ordered.

Kame, responded, unplugging the aether generator Tomas-Hei had used and handing it and the power cord back to him. "Well, it shouldn't be to hard for you then to pick up the basics; think mores like wielding to a regular repeating rhythm really. Plus, the power armor capacitor should prevent you from any dangerious discharge if you cannot pick it up synchronized welding, so go grab a capacitor from a nearby locker Anderson-Hei then catch up to me as I push this into the fabrication bay."

She then set her remaining things on top and pushed the Medium SSSC to the fabrication bay, stopping to pick up the broken power cord she had cut. She then set the power cord with its fibrous, frayed carbon nanotubes end next to the the rest of her things before continuing on into the bay.

While waiting for Twowa to maneuver the ship, Katae began scanning and locating the positions of the 'objects'. Once they reached the desired distance they would clear the sky of them.

----------------------------------------------------

Tomas was perplexed by Kame's comments, Why do I need a power armor capacitor bringing an extra power source is the last thing we need to bring near this object. Rejecting her advice he crossed over to a damage control station and pulled out a welding kit.

"I believe I would rather use this, than bring an unsheilded generator into proximity to this object. Perhaps we should proceed with the welding and less chatter." he offered.

"Aye, aye Ma'am." Trowa said as he whipped sweat out of his eyes and engaged the maneuvering thrusters, slowly backing up the ship. Though it was much easier to do slow maneuvers such as these, Trowa felt jumpy. After spending what felt like years maneuvering in and out of enemy fire, the nepleslian pilot found that he wasn't adjusting to the sudden lull in the fight very well.

The ship reached 10,000 meters and Trowa flipped several switches. "Ma'am, Aeon is 10 klicks out and in station keeping. Scanning now for other items in range." Trowa glanced down at his board and made sure that the weapons were still running hot and ready to fire.

When Tomas-Hei, walked in the scene in the Fabrication bay had completely changed. First was the fact that SSCC had been lifted in the air and rotated 90 degrees by a pair of robotic arms. Second was the separate arms that had come down the line and were now holding two long and two short clear graphene plates against the faces of the SCC. Third was the fact that Kame had rushed around the welding the frayed end of the power cord to these four Graphene plates. She also wielded the other end to the fabrication bay.

"Oh Anderson-Hei your here.. Power!? No I was hoping for an empty power capacitor something to ground to. Sigh well never-mind, I think you pretty much know the plan, ... except that synchronized wielding starts with the slower welder, who calls out which corner he/she is doing and the other matches. If things get difficult wield the other end of this power cord to the fabrication bay and it should ground us." Hearing robotic arms grab the last two longer pieces at holding them against the SCC, Kame called again to Tomas-Hei out as she quickly finished wielding the last of the frayed ends to the remain two pieces, "So pick a side Anderson-Hei, and call out which corner you are on and we will start"

Tomas shrugged, and pulled on his goggles. "Okay, I'm starting at the lower right and moving to the left." he said as he activated the welding torch. This was the strangest welding job he had been tasked to do, but whatever it took to protect his ship. As he brought the torch close the material he was welding flared as he brought the heat to it and started moving carefully along the seam.

Trowa's tactical screen began marking the locations of the objects. Within a minute the gunship had pin pointed more than 20 of them using the prior scans.

"Scan complete all hostile objects within specified parameters located." Eternity chimed in through the bridge speakers.

Katae looked at the screen. "Yamamoo-Hei, calculate a firing solution for those drones or mines. On my order I want them all targeted and destroyed. Let's do it without putting the ship into a spin. Let me know when you are ready." she said.

The past few minutes of relative calm had helped Trowa regroup himself. He had taken a moment while scanning the objects to stretch and rotate his stiff arms and shoulders. Sliding his black eye patch back over his cybernetic eye Trowa smiled an evil grin as his tactical screen painted almost two dozen targets.

Trowa had already begun calculating target locks when the Taii gave the order. "Aye, Ma'am." He acknowledged as his firing solution came up. Trowa taped the maneuvering thrusters once so that the Aeon could get a lock on as many targets as possible. After double checking his calculations, Trowa turned to the Taii and said, "We're ready to fire, Ma'am. After the first volley our Heavy Quad Cannons will target anything remaining. Thrusters are ready to act as counter balances when we fire so we will remain in place. Ready to fire on your order."

With a nod to Anderson-Hei, Kame plugged her wielder into the aether generator that was connected to her partners side via a power cord. Watching out of the corner of her eye, Kame was glad Tomas-Hei had picked side where the durandium pad resided on the 90-tilted SSCC. As he began wielding on the opposite pad, she used her peripherals to synchronize with his movements and called out, "Ok, good I have matched your movement and we keep with this counter clockwise motion". As she listened to the other channel Kame was glad the Fabrication Bay had robotic arms and a insulated walls so she could give the cook a handicap to expedite the process. She didn't have the heart to distract the young cook from the task at hand by mentioning that actual Olympic synchronized wielding was done in zero-G, without robotic arms, as team of 100 technicians constructed a untethered ship in the middle of dead space especially when a battle was occurring on the opposite side of the system. By the time that pilot had gotten the firing solutions, they finished wielding the four longest pads together and had moved on to just spot wield just the two un-wielded sides of the each of the shorter pads.

Tomas continued moving along his seam maintaining a constant even movement. Only when he reached the end did he stop. He turned off the welder and flexed his hand and fingers a few times to release the tension.

"Complete on this seam, ready to rotate the object and continue when you are. You know O'Kutsuu-Hei, I have spent more time onboard the Aeon doing everything but cooking." he said to Kame in an attempt to relax a bit before resuming the precision welding. He thought briefly to the battle at UX-25 when he had just joined the ship. Tomas gave an involuntary shudder at the memory of watching one of the infantry die in his arms.

----------------------------------------------

Hisa meanwhile was deep in the conduits of the Aeon. She had found the blown power module that had knocked the STL offline. Replacing it had proven to be a relatively simple task. But because they had to work in harmony with the other set, she was replacing the matching module on the opposite side of the ship. Good thing I decided to change this, it probably would not have held up to another high power burn, when the other failed all that power came this way. Don't worry Aeon, I'll get you back together. she thought.

A few minutes later the module was replaced and diagnostics showed green. Hisa made her way to the nearest exit from the maintenance conduit. Once free she picked up the intercom and dialed the bridge.

"Usaga-Hei to bridge. The STL engines are back online. I am returning to Engineering." she said then hung up the received and departed.

-----------------------------------------------------

On the bridge Katae continued to monitor the situation. The Squadron was sitting a short distance away and the Aeon had targeted all of the missile launchers. "Yamamoo-Hei, order the Vigilant to return to the shuttle bay. I want us ready to punch out of here as quickly as possible, having only the Diligent out there means a quicker turn around." she said to the pilot.

She monitored the Ks-MIES-E3011 sensor there as an annoying flucuation. Eternity, what is the probability that the flucuations are possible fold events. she thought to the MEGAMI. If it is in fact a fold event, it is one of large scale, most likely a fleet of NMX ships arriving in this system. Interpolation would estimate 10 minutes ETA. she replied.

"Yamamoo-Hei contact the Diligent, we are departing the system in 9 minutes. Have them advise the Away team. If they have not secured the objectives, make their way back to the shuttle. We have too many guests arriving shortly." she said as she signaled the rest of the squadron. "After you contact the Diligent, plot a course UX-6 Kazumi."

"Ma'am? Aye, aye Ma'am." Trowa said. He wasn't sure if the Away team had completed their mission or not. He didn't like the idea of leaving a mission unaccomplished, but the idea of more NMX reinforcements didn't appeal to him either.

"Vigilant, this is Aeon. Stand down and return to the shuttle bay. Diligent, Be advice, we are bugging out of here in 9 minutes. NMX reinforcements are in rout. Contact and advice Away team. If they have not secured their objective they are to fall back to the LZ and prepare for dust off. Aeon Out." Trowa then pulled up his star charts and plotted a course to UX-6 Kazumi. Turning in his seat, Trowa reported, "Ma'am, I have a course plotted to UX-6 Kazumi. Weapons are still hot and ready to fire on those NMX mines." He paused a moment, considering something then asked, "Ma'am, If the Away team fails to retrieve the teleporting technology from the NMX, shouldn't we at least blow the destroyer up and deny them their prize?"

"Vigilant to Aeon, message received, coming home to roost." Sachi replied to Trowa's message. She plotted their course and headed back to the ship as quickly as was prudent.

Katae looked at Trowa, "I never said we were going to leave the destroyer intact. Its just preferrable that we retrieve the teleportation pads. Destroying the ship we can not be certain that we destroy them all. But regardless of the away team's success, we will be leaving the destroying an expanding ball of plasma. Destroy those mines or whatever they are." Katae said.

As Eternity rotated robotic arms that the SSCC so the durandium pad was back on bottom, Kame was very perplexed by Tomas-Hei remarks. As the replied with a slight shutter, "Well, if I may speak freely sir... you've proven yourself t..to be very adaptive and for being a p...part-time technician you did an expert job on those four seams."

The arms continued to rotate so that the two shortest faces of the SSCC where facing the duo. Each of these two faces had two seems on top and bottom that had not been wielded yet. The engineer continued, "Well, we each just have two seams to do, so lets get to it and then join up with Usagi-Hei as planned." Kame waited for Tomas-hei to start then matched his movements to wield the last to seems of the now graphene-covered, sealed SSCC.

Trowa nodded and turned back to his station, a wicked grin spreading across his face. "Aye, Ma'am." He said as he hit the fire control. A wave of deadly energy flew from the Aeon towards the enemy targets spread around the ship. After their first volley, the Heavy Quad Cannons turned and fired another volley at the few mines that weren’t targeted with the first shots. Space around the Aeon became an intense light show of explosions and deadly energy. When the light finally faded Trowa scanned the debris field to see if how much damage they were able to inflict.

As the sensors cleared the clutter Trowa could see that they had cleared all of the mines. But a strange blip was on the screen moving towards them.

---------------------------------------

Tomas nodded his agreement and ignited his torch. "Starting this seam." Once more he moved his torch in a smooth controlled fashion. It was easier this time, so he was able to move a bit faster, but he kept from hurrying because he want to be sure he did a good job. Working together Tomas and Kame repeating the process sealed the offending object in the container.

"Well, I guess you can get to Engineering, and I can head back to the Wardroom until I'm needed elsewhere."

----------------------------------------

Meanwhile the vigilant flew after pausing to avoid the Aeon's barrage, ducked around the gunship and entered the cargo bay. Sachi secured the shuttle and powered it down. She and Gustav exited the shuttle and made their way to the bridge.

Trowa smiled. All the mines were destroyed. "All targets have been eliminated, Ma'am." He glanced at a report then added, "Vigilant has docked and..." Trowa paused mid-sentence. "What the..." Trowa checked the reading on his screen and couldn't make since of it. "Ma'am, I've got an unknown target heading for us. I can't identify it yet because of all the debris is messing with the sensors." Without waiting for orders, Trowa fed power to the shields and engines, ready to get out of the way if the target proved unfriendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back