• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 3.0] Pickets and Surveys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katae picked up the intercom and dialed the ship wide channel. "Attention all hands, Haruhi-Nitô Juni has been transferred to the YSS Integrity.

Effective immediately, Oshiro Arkase-Nitô Heisho, is now the Squad Leader for the Infantry. That is all."

Meanwhile in engineering Hisa brought the engines of the gunship to life, within minutes Trowa's station showed that he had full engine power available.

"External power has been disconnected, and we are cleared for departure." Eternity chimed in over the bridge speakers.

"Take us up to rendezvous with the rest of the squadron Yamamoto-Hei" Katae called out relaxing in her chair.

Trowa grinned with anticipation. "Aye aye, Ma'am." He said as he sat back down and began throwing switches. He laid his hands on the controls and gently eased the Aeon forward. Following the departure rought given him by the traffic controller, Trowa slowly moved the ship until they were outside the busy port. Then, adding a little more power to the engines, moved with more speed to the rendezvous point to join the rest of the squadron.

For a moment, Arkase thought that he was having a heart attack. His chest tightened, and a cold pain took hold. But it quickly passed once he realized what it was: surprise and fear. Once the ST Backup was done he shook his head to get it straight and sat up.

“Kage-Hei,” he said “A piece of advice that I’d like you to start to follow: get to know the people on board the ship. Especially the ones within the Away Team and on the Bridge.” For a moment he looked like he wanted to add more, but stopped.

“I’ll need you in the PA Bay when you’re finished here.”

Arkase stood and left the Hei to her duties. He needed to head for the PA Bay and prepare his new team. The yamataian wished Haruhi were still in command, despite her seeming incompetence and the grudge he still nurtured in the back of his mind. Experience was experience, and she already had an established relationship with the infantry lounging amongst the Power Armor.

So how could he set his up? How could he get into their heads? There were a couple of philosophies on command, and the deviations within them were innumerable. Fear through punishment? Fear of the Enemy? Love of the Man? Love of the Unit? But which would be best applied here? He wouldn’t be alone, with the Taisa looking over his shoulder all the way. If she was worth anything as a commander, she would recommend courses of action or dismiss him if he couldn’t do his job.

He hoped he didn't fail anyone again.

The Aeon flew over Kyoto on its departure path affording those who took the time a chance to look at the city. As the gunship streaked up and away from the surface it left a white contrail marking its passage. Soon the sky above and around the ship faded from blue to black and stars filled the view screen.

"Yamamoto-Hei, We will be picking up two Orbital Geological Survey Platform. Eternity will supply you with the coordinates. You will need to pick them up with the tow hook." Katae instructed.

She then picked up the intercom, "Infantry team. I need two people in power armor ready to check the tow hook connections when we pick up the OGSP."

Kyoka was about to answer Asi when the notice about Haruhi's transfer came in over the intercom, and then the departure notice.

"Well, I suppose that answers the question." She told him, leaning against a wall. "Not that I really knew her well enough to begin with."

When the second notice came on about two people needed, she smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

"There's our orders. I guess we should suit up and be ready for when we get there." The Neko said, finishing with, "Nice little chat we had."

Asi shrugged. "None of us really knew her yet. Too little time spent together, and all that." He turned back to his armor, opening it up. "And I'm happy we get to be doing something. For all I'm not too fond of the actual fighting, sitting around doing nothing at all is worse." As he started up his armor's systems, he snorted. "Do you think we're supposed to carry our guns?"

Before Trowa could say, "Aye aye, Ma'am." The coordinates flashed across his implants. That was fast. The Nepleslian pilot thought. I am loving these upgrades. Trowa flew towards the Orbital Geological Survey Platforms and prepared the ship's tow hooks to pick up their packages.

"Other than our complementary sidearm, I don't think so. After all, we're just checking hooks hooks, right?" She contemplated, giving a running a quick diagnostic on her armor before fully activating it, satisfied with its condition.

"I s'pose now we wait."

Arkase heard the announcement and sighed. So much for his plan. But this might work just as well. He needed to get the Medic there quickly, then.

Arkase to Mist said:
I need you in the PA Bay.

Short and simple. That would be Arkase's new motto. He entered into the Power Armor Bay where Asi and Kyoka waited.

"It's good to see you both in your Armor. I want you to wait here until Kage-Hei joins us and suits up, then we'll all head out to check those tow hooks."

He headed for his own armor and began the routine diagnostics.

Mist bowed to her superior before he left the medical bay. "I will do as you ask, Oshiro-Heisho," she replied simply before recalibrating the Backup Unit again. It took her longer then she anticipated for some reason, but once she was finished, she made her way towards the PA Bay.

It was only a few moments after leaving that she heard the announcement and received Arkase's message. The Jiyuuian medic picked up her pace and quickly replied.

Mist to Arkase said:
I am on my way now, Oshiro-Heisho.

A few minutes after her reply was sent, Mist arrived at the PA Bay. She was a little flushed from half-running/half-speed walking over here. However, she resisted the urge to catch her breath and looked around for Arkase and the others.

Katae looked at the sensors. Satisfied that Trowa had them in position for snagging the two OGSP.

"Nice work Yamamoto-Hei, Helm to Station Keeping. While we are waiting for the Infantry to hookup the two units and ensure they are secured, kindly start plotting a course for Veronica star system."

She picked up the intercom and dialed the Power Armor bay, "Infantry. we are holding position 10 meters from the OGSPs. Deploy and get them secured."

"Alright. You two" he pointed at Asi and Kyoka, "Go get them secured. Kage-Hei will be behind you while I help with the hooks. Kage-Hei, bring a few LASRs with you after you've suited up in a Mindy."

Arkase stopped himself short of explaining why Kage should bring the weapons outside. Kage would not only be the Medic on watch, she would be their own little armory if they needed it: the last think Arkase wanted was for the Aeon to be bushwhacked just out of port. It was unlikely, but as the XO's situation during shore leave had pointed out, it wasn't impossible.

"Let's go."

Arkase led the way out to the hooks.

"Thank you Ma'am." Trowa replied to the compliment. He switched over to Station Keeping to ensure the ship remained in position until the infantry could get the OGSPs secured. Trowa pulled up his system charts and spoke out loud to himself. "The Veronica star system... Veronica... Ver... Ah here it is." Trowa paused a moment, studying his charts. Boy this is going to be a long trip. He thought.

"Ma'am?" Trowa asked. "Do you want to take the Hanako's Spacelane or a more roundabout way?"

Asine nodded, sealing up his armor before following Arkase out of the bay. "So, what exactly are these 'hooks' for? All I know is they have something to do with exploration."

"We're towing a survey platform." Arkase said, looking around in the darkness of space for the platform.

"If these things are wound tightly enough, and you screw with them, they can cut you clean in half out of armor. I don't know what they'll do to you in armor. So be very careful -- the Medical Bay doesn't need patients."

The two OGSP for the Aeon were drifting near by just short of the tow rig. Typically the Aeon only carried one, which was why the Taisa wanted the team to manually oversee the linkages. Since the OGSP would be towed in tandem any mistake could cause them to become damaged or worse lost.

On the bridge Katae considered Trowa's question before answering, "Take us by way of the Hanako Spaceway until Rufusland then take us direct. I would rather not go the long way around through the Bard Cluster."

"Right, so how do we go about doing this?" Kyoka asked, guiding her armor to her two space-borne squadmates. "Are they magnetic or. . . or what? They didn't teach me this sort of thing in training, or as far as I can tell."

"We simply hook the towing cables to those extended towing ports on their bow. Easy job."

Arkase made his way to the tow rig, and took hold of a hook. He then maneuvered himself toward the nearest OGSP.

"Aye Ma'am." Said Trowa. As he began calculating the rout the pilot added, "Reason I asked is because you enter the Hanako Spaceway right by the planet Nataria. Last I heard it was still under NMX control." Trowa paused and glanced back at the Taisa and smiled wickedly. "You said this was supposed to be an easy mission and I didn't want to ruin it by flying right by an enemy held planet. The ship did just get re-painted after all."

"Yes, I am aware of the status of Nataria, but if you look at the other nearby systems you will see that almost every direction around Yamatai you have to pass by a NMX held planet. Plot your fold to take use between them and we should be fine." Katae said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back