Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 5.0] Darkness and Ice

Their barrage went through the first Ripper which flickered as the shots passed through. It vanished when one shot destroyed the small floating decoy that was projecting it which clattered to the floor.

The second Ripper was hammered by the barrage and actually stepped back from the impact. The third Ripper used the second one as a body shield to avoid the worst of the barrage.

The two Rippers returned fire and their shots slammed into the wall behind where Yoshiro had stood only a moment before. Chunks of stone and ice were blasted out of the wall and scattered across the passageway.

"Tsubei-Heisho, I think we got their attention but now what do we do?" He peeked around the corner and launched a drone so he could keep an eye on the situation. He scanned the room for hazardous objects that could be used against the Rippers such as stalagtites or something. With a small expenditure of ammo they could be rid of the offending creatures.

Unfortunately the passage was fairly plain, with smooth walls. The only extra stuff they could use immediately was the bodies and weapons of the NMX infantry they gunned down. Or he could try firing at the ceiling above the doorway. With enough firepower he might be able to cause it to collapse and slow the Ripper progress.

"Keep backing away and firing!" Kyoka barked. Then, she did something rather rash. Diving out the front window, the Neko kept a beam of Aether trained on those two at all times and activated her shoulder cloak. Once back on her feet, she activated her teleporter to whip her back to the room the elevator brought them up to.

Her logic in this was that the close-range beams combined with the destructive force of her teleport should be enough to do some bad damage.

Using his AIES and the distraction that Tsubei was giving him he targeted the roof above the Rippers and fired his LASR and a Gauss shot into it. "I am going to need a vacation after this mess!" He said and fired his weapon as he moved back. "Did we get a response or anything back from the other team, Tsubei-heisho?" He asked as he reloaded his LASR.

The concussive force of the teleportation knocked the Rippers off their feet. Being at the periphery of her field a portion of their armor vanished with her.

Yoshiro's barrage at the ceiling sliced large chunks of stone from it which rained down on the mecha. But it was towards the end of his barrage that a strong explosion and a gout of flame shot into the area above the Rippers. A large section of the ceiling became dislodged and buried the mecha under several tons of stone and ice.

"Er. . . Tanaka-hei, you blocked our way further into the compound," Kyoka sighed, looking at the rubble with a mildly annoyed look. Good thing her helmet was on. "And no. Nobody has responded yet. I'll send out a message right now."

All members of the away team receive the following:
Code:
Report status, ASAP.
-Tsubei-Heisho.

Code:
Tsubei-Heisho, This is Yamamoto-Heisho.  My team is moving deeper into the base to rescue the other prisoners. Be advised, we may need to find an altered way to get the prisoners out. The elevator shaft we’re using may be damaged beyond repair. How much forward progress have you made into the base?

Almost instantly another message appeared.

Code:
Tsubei-Heisho, Be advised again, we have rigged a little gift for our friends that will be a real bang and should take some of the heat off you.

Great...I screwed up again, only this time it isn't an exercise. He thought to himself. Why don't I ever think things through before I do them!.

"Damn it!" he said over comms, angry at himself. They had prisoners to help and he caused yet another problem. "Sorry, Tsubei-heisho. Maybe we can climb through the hole in the roof?"

Tunnel

As Emiko's twelve NSB and NSD drones went to work on harrasing the enemy position in front of the elevators, the neko received a copy of the transmission sent by Kyoka.
Code:
Report status, ASAP.
-Tsubei-Heisho.
The neko technician glanced back at the others with her for a few heartbeats whilst she considered how to form her reply. She then turned her gaze back to the curved tunnel wall, further down which the enemy position and the elevators waited.
Code:
Tsubei-Heisho, This is Murasaki-Hei. Gustav-Juni, Oshiro-Juni, the alien Tesgee are I are all presently uninjured. Our group is presently holding position within the tunnel which originally lead us to the elevators. We've had one firefight and now there are enemy neko attempting to fortify this side of the elevator shaft. We've yet to engage this group directly -- right now we're just harrassing them with drones.

Rain of debris falling out of the ceiling slowed to just the occasional falling chunk of ice or stone. A couple of large power cables dangled out of the opening.

Code:
Murasaki-hei, tell the other two not to do anything rash. You're the only chance we have at backup if anything goes wrong up here, so we need everybody in peak condition. Also, has the alien mentioned anything useful about this place?
Tsubei-Heisho.

Kyoka looked to her companion and sighed for a moment before ascending into the opening, activating her shoulder cloak so those power cables wouldn't damage her armor directly on ascension.

"Up we go!" She barked, as she hovered her way up.

The hole in the ceiling actually led into a larger passage. To the left the passage vanished into the ice as it arced to the right as one looked down it. The other way of the passage angled upwards and ended about 50 meters away. There was a large observation port that allowed viewing of the area with the buildings. Above the observation port there appeared to be a hatch of some sort.

-------------------------------

The Nekos who had been fortifying their position decided to move forward. The swung a barricade of armor plates across the passage. There were small openings that they should fire their weapons through. One of them fired a round of machine gun fire through the opening.

Kyoka approached the observation port carefully, holding her rifle at the ready. Hopefully, there would not be anybody in there, so they could avoid another encounter.

Emiko sent an encrypted reply to Kyoka, in response to her query about any information the alien had thus far provided the group in the tunnel.

Code:
I'm afraid the language barrier makes getting any specific information of use from Tesgee difficult, Tsubei-Heisho. About all he's said about the base so far is that its crawling with 'Loi Daho'ai' and 'Aboka hodi'... which Gustav-Juni and I think is the alien's way of saying Neko and Mishhuvurthyar in its own language... I imagine you've already found out the hard way just how infested this base is with hostiles, though.

I'll ask Gustav-Juni to quiz the alien for more info whilst Oshiro-Juni and I try and deal with these enemy neko up ahead of us.

Emiko cast a glance back at Josea, Arkase and Tesgee. "Tsubei-Heisho wants us to hole up here and be ready to provide back-up for the rest of the team if things get to hot for them to handle. Either way, we need to deal with the enemy position up ahead if we're to reinforce them or allow the rest of the team to retreat back this way to the ship."

The neko focused her gaze upon the SSS liason and the alien he had been shielding with his own body from the last enemy attack. "If you could, sir, would you be able to try working with Tesgee to uncover any additional information you can get about the base, its layout and might be of benefit for the rest of the away team? I know we probably won't be able to get much if anything from him, but it won't hurt to try whilst we're stuck here."

Emiko's attention then turned to the footage being relayed from the drones harrassing the enemy position up ahead. It appeared that they had managed to construct a make-shift barrier of armor plates which they were using to seal off the way to the elevators. Emiko poked herself around the edge of the tunnels curve to check it out, which resulted in an enemy taking a shot back at her through the gap. She quickly ducked back and out of the enemies firing arc.

"Damn it... they've blocked off the way to the elevators. We're going to have to breach that barrier before we can get at them now." Emiko turned to face Oshiro for a few heartbeats before leaning out and unleashing the full ferocity of her aether rifle upon the armored blockage -- trying to either hit the enemy neko's through one of the small gaps or else puncture through the armor with sheer brute force.

Yoshiro used his AIES to scan the area for enemies as he approached the observation port with Tsubei-heisho. He lauched and checked around the observation with his drones to make sure that there was nothing hidden.

Trowa looked though the open elevator doors that Saki had just opened. Across the hall he could see the other team shooting down another hall to the elevators left. “Muraski-Hei!” Trowa called from the elevator so the other team could identify them and not accidently shoot them. Once he was sure that there was not going to be any friendly fire Trowa took a peek down the hall where Emiko had been firing using an optic probe. “Looks like we didn’t miss the party after all.”

“Arai-Hei give Muraski-Hei a hand and take out that barrier. Shina-Heisho!” Trowa called down the elevator shaft. “What are you girls doing? Fixing your hair? This is a non-formal, come as you are party. Come on we’ve got some prisoners to rescue.”

Observation Port

From the vantage point of the Observation Port, the two soldiers had a clear view of the large chamber. They could see a number of flashing lights illuminating the area. There were two more transports visible on the far side, and NMX personnel were seen scrambling towards them carrying whatever they could. They could see boxes and pieces of unidentified equipment being carried. A squad of Rippers were pushing a number of Medium SSCC's towards the first transport.

Barricade

The barrage against the barricade pockmarked the heavy plates. A few of the shots found their way in through the weapon ports. A few others actually burned their way through the plating. But the NMX infantry was holding their line. Two of infantry fired a grenade down the hallway aiming for the space between the small passage and the middle elevator.

Saki smiled as she was back in action. As infantry it was her purpose. To fight the enemies of the Empire. This time they were even moving to save people, which made everything even better. "Yes sire, taking care of barricade!" Saki said to Trowa and looked at Yoshiro. "Just like the old times in Fort Ready Tanaka-san!" She shouted at him and smiled under her helmet.

Saki ran to left corner and peeked out to see the barricade. There were several gun ports, as she leaned out a grenade was fired her way. "Fire in the hole!" She shouted and fired her own HIE grenade at the barricade, before using her thrusters to jump back into elevator, taking Trowa with her, shielding him from most of the explosion.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back