Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Aeon [Mission 7.0] - Prologue Southern Encounters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wardroom

Freyja looked at Josea then at Eli, She was so happy that others where going to help with the huge task. She looked to Kata' and brought up the same pictures Kata' brought up to show what she wanted. "Let me take you there," she point to the door and then slowly started walking that way following Eli. She looked back to see if the Kit was following.

To: Ise Katae-Taisa,

I accept this responsibility ma'am! It is great honour and I will make sure not to disappoint you. There is still quite a few armours to work on ma'am. Do you want me to report momentarily?

Arai Saki - Jôto Hei

Katae looked at the message that came in mentally. While waiting for Misaki she sent a reply.

To Arai-Jôto Hei

There is no need to report at this moment. I have a number of errands to complete prior to our departure. There will be time enough to meet once we are under way. I have also asked the Chusa to make herself available to you for advise.

Ise-Taisa.

"Sumimasen, Taisa." He bowed again.

"Right then," Kitsu said, watching the others leave the Wardroom.

"Ah," Kitsu settled himself somewhere in the back, observing rather than doing for now. If he was called for, he would participate. Otherwise, he felt it best to keep to himself aloof until he understood his role better.

He double-checked his communicator for any new messages, not expecting any. After the communicator met his expectations, he pulled out his pen and began twirling it to keep himself quiet.

After a moment, he stopped twirling his pen. "Ah, can I get a copy of that translation program for my communicator? I'm a bit late to the party, and perhaps I can provide some tweaks to it that will improve its functionality?" He pulled out his communicator and used the ship's AI ─ Eternity? ─ to send out almost the same message to those who had left the wardroom.

Eternity transferred a copy of the translation program to Kitsu's communicator. The immediately apparent issue was the small amount of sampling data. But there probably could be some enhancements made to the program itself.

From the Fab-bay

Code:
"Taisa, Ma'am may I have permission to change into my flight suit? And use it as my standard uniform, I will give you a full written report on why, but I would prefer not to.

"Right," Kitsu said, manipulating his communicator and retiring to a corner again.

He pulled up samples of the language that the program had already collected, and looked at them long and hard. There were a couple of particles he thought were actually parts of words, judging by how they sounded in his head.

Kitsu found the most recent phrase that the alien had stated. "Xjti J dpvme voefstuboe uifn, uijt jt gsvtusbujoh..."

It was as if someone had slapped their left hand on a keyboard, when put in textual format. Still. The language seemed to have plenty of buzz-like sounds "zhhh" instead of "shhh". A lot of soft-stops with the "jit"-like noises: "uijt jt". A slur? No. He had to assume it was perfectly spoken: that was safest.

So. Sentence structure: Nepleslian was a Subject-Verb-Object language: "I threw the red ball." Yamataian was a Subject-Object-Verb language. "I the red ball threw." What was this alien's structure for language?

Well. Another example the program had pulled from just before Kitsu's arrival.

Earlier said:
[Kata'Nova] picked out a picture of a workshop, with machinary in the background and people working around it, then picked out what she assumed to be a person 'asking' to use said machinary.

Then, she spoke her langugae so that the translation program could get a general idea of what she might be saying. "Jg J nbz, ep zpv cz dibodf ibwf boz ljoe pg b xpsl ps sfqbjstipq J dbo vtf?"

Machinery, and the person she had picked out, followed by a verbal... question? He thought it was. They assumed later that she was requesting some sort of repair.

Excluding the thought that the structure would start with anything but a subject ─ it simply wasn't logical or efficient, and while language wasn't always very efficient, it at least had to be passable for interstellar civilizations where dialects would cut apart and shuffle words, but the structure almost always remained the same. Subject first was, he felt, most logical.

Alright. It wasn't a sure thing, but... Kitsu manipulated the program's parameters to force it to look at grammar structure from a subject-first view. Then, he pulled up languages from all over the known sector, and had the program look for similar patterns ─ words repeated in what was guessed to be questions.

He would keep working on the program for the rest of the day, when he had a moment. By the time he would be done that night, the program was a little more likely to be off in its definitions of words, but after a few dozen more sentences and a few hundred more definitions, it would have grasped the structure of the language at least.

It would make finding more definitions faster. Maybe. If he did it right: translation programs weren't his specialization.

Still. He would send the program back up to Eternity for it to evaluate, and he would keep a copy of it stored on his communicator. For Kitsu, it was time to kill, and for the program, it would only be a matter of time before it became even better at the alien's language than even it was. Such was the nature of machines.

"Taisa, Ma'am may I have permission to change into my flight suit? And use it as my standard uniform, I will give you a full written report on why, but I would prefer not to."

Katae looked at the message, she sent a mental query to Eternity to get some information about the request, after that she thought for a moment and sent a response.

Oinari-Hei,
Your flight suit is not intended to be worn all the time. You only have the issued one and wearing it all the time will only cause it to degrade with time. If you have a modesty issue with the Duty uniform, you can replace the skirt and wear slacks with it, you also have the option of wearing the Working Uniform.

Ise-Taisa

---------------

Eternity looked at the data Kitsu had uploaded, "Hamitsu-Hei, might I recommend that you speak with Gustav-San our Liaison with the Scientific Studies Service. The program you are modifying is his work, languages are his forte." she replied from the room speakers.

Nashoba said:
Oinari-Hei,
Your flight suit is not intended to be worn all the time. You only have the issued one and wearing it all the time will only cause it to degrade with time. If you have a modesty issue with the Duty uniform, you can replace the skirt and wear slacks with it, you also have the option of wearing the Working Uniform.

Ise-Taisa

Ise-Taisa,

Thank you ma'am, I will go with the Work uniform, they seem the most like my flight suit, I forgot about them, my last posting it was Duty uniform or flight suit.

Oinari-Hei

A message comes for the Taisa and the medical staff through Eli's Caliesolan telepathy.

Code:
Taisa, Destin, we have an emergency in fabrication. Seven-line to follow: 1-Fabrication-2-1-3-X-4-C-5-N-6-C-N. Kata'Nova has collapsed in fabrication. Stand by for further information.

A couple of seconds pass before the follow-up arrives.

Code:
Taisa, Destin. Kata'Nova has what appears to have a significant fever, and her old wound has re-opened. She is currently unconscious.

Another pause in communication before a third one is sent about half a minute later.

Code:
Taisa, Destin. Be advised: Kata'Nova likely has minimal auto-immune response to Yamatai infections and vice versa. Recommend responders be few in number and to take biohazard precautions. Also recommend screening myself and Oinari-Hei for unknown pathogens.

Fabrication
Eli swore again for good measure and took several deep breaths to calm himself as he waited for assistance to arrive. He looked at Freyja-Hei who appeared to be distraught.

"It'll be alright, Freyja-Hei. All things considered, it's not that bad, it's just wise to take precautions." he said as calm as he could manage (which wasn't much). How the hell did this happen on my first damn day? We haven't even left the station yet!

Bridge
Bloody hell, she thought, upon receiving the mental call from Eli.

She looked at Misaki, "We have a situation developing. Our visitor has collapsed in fabrication. Possible infection. Isolate the Fabrication area once they transport her out and advise all personnel to remain on the ship. Any crew member who is not an NH series needs to take steps to protect themselves. AMES suits should be sufficient for now."

Katae then dialed the fabrication area on the intercom. "Transport Kata'nova to the medical bay immediately. Sakura-Hei will be in the medical center preparing to receive our guest. Until cleared consider yourselves to be exposed to some sort of biological contamination."

She sent a mental message to Sunflower.

"Sakura-Hei, medical emergency. Our guest has collapsed in the fabrication area. Being transported by the two personnel who were with her. Consider them to be possibly contaminated. Isolation protocols."

Sunflower replied, "Understand Taisa, on my way to medical." she then swiftly flew through the corridor and brought up automated units. This is so not good, we do not need our guest to die on my watch.

Turning to Misaki Katae said, "You have the bridge. I'm going to medical to see what is going on." She then left.

Fabrication

Code:
Undestood, Taisa.

Eli looked again at his hands. He knew he didn't have the time to to clean them off, but he also knew that it wouldn't be a good idea to risk spreading blood throughout the ship. He reached for the roll of bandages and began hastily covering his hands in the elastic material. It wasn't perfect, and it was a little uncomfortable and awkward, but it would have to do.

"Freyja-Hei, I'm going to need you to lead the way and open doors for me. If you see anybody, make sure they take a wide berth around us. Oh, and there should be some kind of gloves in the first aid, put them on: you don't want to make the same mistake that I did." He didn't really think she was in any danger with her nekovalkyria body, but it was nearly always better to be overcautious and over-reactive in a situation than the other way around.

With that instruction he bent down at the knees and lifted Kata' up. He wasn't sure what the best method for carrying her medically would be, and he didn't see anything in fabrication that would work well as an improvised stretcher. It would make this a lot less complicated if there was one though.

"Actually- if you see anything or know of anything nearby that could be used as an improvised or real stretcher that would be convenient."

Once Freyja put the gloves on she allowed her training to fully kick in, she didn't think for one second that Eli wouldn't notice but she had to help in this situation and get it done right. She looked around quickly and grabbed two metal rods, they looked strong enough for the job at hand, then she took the Molecular tape and started rapping them so it formed and sling between the poles, she made sure to back each piece of tape with another so they didn't tape Kata' to the rig. She also made a few strips to secure Kata' down as they entered the Zero gee passageway.

"Here," She set the rig down next to Kata's passed out form, "help me get her on this, and make sure those tie down point are tight." She proceeded to pick the Kit up by herself and lay her down on the rig.

Eli nodded as Freyja set to work, a little surprised, but pleased at her sudden confidence in the situation. It seemed his instincts earlier were right, when it truly mattered, she could handle pressure and raise to the occasion. She had the device fashioned quickly, and it seemed sturdy enough to get them to the medbay at least.

Even still, it was a little surprising and surreal to see the comparatively diminutive girl easily lift Kata' out of his arms and onto the stretcher. I may be in trouble during that sparring match he managed to think despite the serious situation.

"Thanks for the quick thinking Freyja-Hei, I didn't much fancy the idea of trying to squeeze through doors while carrying her." He picked up the rear end of the makeshift stretcher as she took the front. "Lead the way."

Medical Center

Sunflower donned a set of scrubs and pulled on some gloves. She picked up a PMS-1 and programmed it for the next batch of nanomachines. She wondered what exactly could have happened to Kata'nova.

She stood next to the ABMU programming a series of tests that she wanted the unit to perform.

Wardroom
Josea walked up to Kitsu, "So Eternity has told me you have been modifying my translation algorithms."

Wardroom

Josea said:
Josea walked up to Kitsu, "So Eternity has told me you have been modifying my translation algorithms."

"Hai," Kitsu said, smiling. He handed Josea his communicator. "Here, take a look. I think I've made it start putting together the grammar structure faster, beginning with basic sentences. What do you think?"

Kitsu leaned back, grin still on his face. He pulled out a pen and began twirling, waiting for Josea to make a judgement. If it was bad, it was bad. Kitsu wasn't a linguist. He was a problem solver, and a trained software programmer. That didn't make him good at everything, but at least he could be useful.

Zonr_0 said:
"Thanks for the quick thinking Freyja-Hei, I didn't much fancy the idea of trying to squeeze through doors while carrying her." He picked up the rear end of the makeshift stretcher as she took the front. "Lead the way."

"No worries, Uhh.. We should take the other path instead of the Passage way the cargo lift will take us directly to the med bay, and it isn't used all the time so it should keep us segregated from the bulk of the crew." She Picked up the other end of the rig and lead Eli to the far end of the fab-bay. Once she neared the lift she asked Eternity to open the lift then send them to the med bay level.

Eli nodded again. "I was thinking the same thing." he followed her, keeping the stretcher steady. The two of them stepped into the lift carrying their charge. He was silent for most of the trip on the elevator.

I should have been paying more attention he kicked himself again. Then again, the girl was doing her damnedest to avoid being noticed. Getting her to talk and work with them was proving to be a frustrating exercise. She needs to lose some of her stubborn pride: she can't do this by herself. Somewhere in the back of his head, he realized the hypocrisy of that statement.

The lift door opened to the medical center and Eli quickly snapped out of his thoughts and into action, following Freyja into the medbay with the stretcher.

As they walked into the Med bay Freyja saw Sakura-Hai standing ready. "Where would you like us to put her." Once Sunflower pointed it out she helped Eli set Kata'nova down. After that she felt drained and flushed. all she wanted to do was hide in her bunk and maybe cry.

Without thinking she leaned up against Eli, she didn't realize she was doing it but she needed to feel safe and comforted. At some point in the near future her brain will reengage, and at that point the poor girl might have full breakdown.

Eli bowed to Sunflower quickly and began giving a full report. "Ma'am, Kata'Nova was in some sort of pain but attempted to pass it off as hunger. After attempting to lift a heavy object, she collapsed to the ground and re-opened her old wound. In the process of administering first aid, I was negligent and forget to shield myself from contact with bloodborne pathogens." he gestured to his hands covered in bandages.

Eli felt drained and more than a little relieved that the situation was no longer in his responsibility and didn't remark at Freyja's close contact, even knowing that it looked terribly unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back