• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: NSS Inquiry [Mission Two] Zero Tolerance

Plains of Polup

Tobias fired his right grenade launcher, sending five high explosive grenades into the midst of the group of enemies. He waited a moment to let the smoke clear so he could get a better shot, then fired five more. This ought to soften 'me up for the rest of the group, and if he killed a few then so much the better.

Plains of Polup

Stein’s fragmentation clips took down one Elefirn and Cadence called out, “First one down!”

Linda’s DART mini-missiles struck down two before they could see that one of their shots had hit its intended target- Milton. He stumbled backwards, then regained his balance and looked at the dent in his armor.

Milton said, “Fuck, I’m fine.”

A second later and Alec’s half a magazine of mass driver rounds scattered around the Elefirn and one fell backwards, then picked themselves up again to continue shooting, hitting Milton again.

“For fuck’s sake,” Milton griped as he was pushed back and his HUD began giving him some light warnings.

Adam’s double and triple shots ended the lives of two Elefirn after a few moments of the autocannon’s assault.

With half of the formation of the dozen Elefirn down, the last thing to end off the grouping of them were the grenades shot by Tobias, which decimated three of them. Another two were taken down by the rest of Stein and Adam while the last was taken out by Linda as she unloaded bursts on them.

Once Cadence had confirmed they were killed off, she called out, “How is everyone?”

"Shot up but fine," Milton said. O'Riley and Sullivan muttered they were doing alright and Cadence nodded.

"The rest of you?" the platoon leader asked, looking over her sensors to know the second that more approached.

Plains of Polup

"Still in one piece here!" Alec announced over the comms. Seeing the Elefrin fleeing caused him to ease his stance, giving one last glance around the squad's flanks before lowering his rifle.

"Milton, let me know if you need some aid." He checked to make sure the first aid kit hadn't left his side during the shootout. "Same goes to all of you. I've got several weeks of medical training and enough medical supplies to heal an injured horse."

Plains of Polup

Linda stood up once all the targets were dispatched and then looked herself over physically to make sure she was alright and the systems did not miss anything. Once she was satisfied she checked her weapons as she spoke on private comms with Cadence. "Lieutenant, I have a suggestion, if we use the snakeskin system, and break into smaller groups, we would be less vulnerable to volley fire."

Plains of Polup

Stein stood and reloaded his cannon. "All good here Boss. Ready to roll out on your orders." He replied looking over the carnage that they had wrought. He smirked as he saw the scorched terra firma. These aliens were gonna regret ever attacking them. "We need to get moving soon though. I can scout ahead and provide sniper support if you wish. I see a few vantage points where I can provide overwatch." He added as he scanned their surroundings.

Adam stood and again lightly brushed himself off. It had been n exciting encounter and boded well for his future with this crew. He moved and clapped Milton in the back, "Thanks for taking those shots for the team. Better you than me,"

He moved to stand at the eges of the group and continued to keep his guard up. He didn't know anything about these deer people but was determined to be outfoxed by a bunch of antlered mooks.

The nodded at Linda's idea to break into smaller teams, Splitting up entirely was not a good thing but their ability to deal with unknown threats woud increase thanks to the spread.

Plains of Polup

Tobias counted his ammo. Half a clip left in my right. He thought, good thing I brought two.

He began to speak over the radio to everyone else. "Be advised guys, the antler-heads seem to be lightly armored, and fragmentation and area of effect weapons seem to work best on them, even comparatively light weapons."

It didn't take long for Glynn's chaingun to being clicking, indicating that the weapon had quite literally burned through all of it's heap rounds.This was the biggest problem with full auto weapons, however was fine. Now Glynn had to worry less about carrying additional ammunition for his overwhelming weapon, all he had now were two belts left of 30mm mass driver rounds. One of them was the standard issue HEAP, and the other was the Glynn personally had the most interest in. How effective would incendiary rounds be in the current terrain? This would be the best time to experiment for such a question, thought Glynn as he reached for the incendiary rounds.

"If anyone is moving, I can provide covering fire to the Sergeant, and get the enemies attention away from him if he moves on ahead. Or, if another team is being formed, I could instead cover their disappearing act. All would be fine as long as I get to deploy the fire crackers."

Plains of Polup

"All of your plans are just what I wanted to hear," Cadence said slowly after a moment's pause. "Linda's decision to use Snakeskin and split up will work out just fine. Glynn and Linda. Alec and Tobias. Adam with Stein. The rest of you, we're holding down the fort right here." She swept her gun forward and said, "Spread out."

Plains of Polup

Linda turned her attention to Glynn after Cadence's words and looked him over with focused eyes. Was she checking him out, of course not they were both in armor? Her attention was really on his weapons and equipment, she needed to make sure things would work out for them.

"This can work...I want to get close and destroy their flank, we'll be at our best if we are fast and mobile." With those words, she turned and made her way towards the denser portion of the forest. The Snakeskin only provided optical camouflage, the trees would do well to disguise the sounds of their footsteps and prevent straight shots at them from a distance.

She did not wait for Glynn to follow and simply expected it, she did, however, move at a speed that he could keep up, not every marine was trained to run through a forest at top speed in a power armor after all. As they ran, she made her way in the direction that the Elefirn had come from, she was not sure that their main force or even their flank was that way, but it was the best place to start and maybe her sensors could pick up something from there.

The next message Glynn received from Linda was over laser transmission however, she already went to minimize communication signals. "Try to keep your feet on the soil, rocks, and trees will echo more."

Holding his fire, Glynn readjusted to his new orders, and searched the battlefield for Linda. For a brief moment, in the chaos of battle, Glynn could just barely see Linda activating her camouflage. He quickly followed suit as quickly as he could while activating his own stealth capabilities. This time, with this armor, Glynn was able to move efficiently through the foliage, though not with the same agility that Linda possessed.

Until Linda's most recent communication, Glynn had been blindly running behind her. As a result, Glynn's pace waned to produce as little noise as humanely possible, and made sure that he monitored his breath and his steps when he was able to catch up to his Sergeant. He followed her silently, focusing on not getting shot, and waiting for her next command.

Plains of Polup

"Roger." Alec said before turning to Tobia and whistling. He gave a quick snap and point towards a small gathering of defensible foliage that could be somewhat be considered a fighting position a short run to the squad's right flank. The snakeskin quickly set in and he sprinted over as he kept his head low, not wanting to put all his money on the snakeskin to keep himself hidden.

As soon as he slid into position, he scanned their own flanks for any possible angles of attack before eyeing around for any more Elefirn to pop their heads out.

Plains of Polup

Stein nodded to Cadence. "Roger that Boss." He said looking back to Adam. "On me, let's go."

With that he began walking forward out into the forest and towards a cliff face. As he reached the base he looked back to Adam. "Come on, let's get a better look up top." He said as he began his climb to the top.

As he reached the top he moved to set up his Scout Cannon on the ridgeline overlooking the valley below.

Adam shrugged at Stein's order and followed obediently keeping his guard up as always, so far one could get the feeling that that was his default setting. Always watching his surroundings always ready for something to go down.

He looked up cliff face then at Stein then back up the cliff face as if to say, Are you kidding me?

"See you up there," he said as he stowed his autocannon and proceeded to ascend the face fairly rapidly and with apparent ease even in the Raider armor. Adam took the opportunity to show off to the Master Sargeant, as he was an accomplished free runner and climber.

At the top he watched Varick set up his pretty bad ass Scout Cannon. He took careful note, the weapon peaking the gunsmith in him. He crouched and set about watching their backs but was ready to step in as a spotter if needed.

Forest

In the cover of now-night, Linda and Glynn would both be able to see something on their passive sensors— incoming energy emissions. A lone scout, perhaps? The signature moved rapidly in their direction, if not a little off course. It was going towards Cadence's position, it seemed. Whether Glynn and Linda wanted to turn on their active scans and have a dull red glow activate on their helmets was up to them.

Foliage

After sliding into position, Alec and Tobias would find very few enemies around them. They, too, had the decision to make, turn on active scans and possibly give away their positions or keep up with passive?

Cliff

For now, there was nothing to be seen by Adam and Stein. The energy signatures in the forest that Linda and Glynn were picking up in the forest were too well covered with dense treetops to be seen by them and the real threat was still looming just a bit behind the horizon.

Cliff

Stein scanned to surrounding landscape for threats. "We are clear from what I can see." He reported over the comms. He then rolled and looked up at Adam. "I will need a spotter, kid." He said to the soldier, moving back into place and sighting in his weapon. He also pulled out several magazines and laid them out next to him. He stacked two of each type of ammunition, in easy reach when he needed it.

This is what he was good at. Watching and waiting. The ever patient viper, waiting for the foolish prey to come into range.

Forest

As soon as Linda's sensors picked up an approaching armor, she stopped in her tracks and readied her AS4GS, but did not make an aggressive move yet. She sent another message to Glynn through laser comms. "Do not fire. Check for signals, stay cloaked"

Immediately after her message, she began to check the readouts for what types of energy waves the monoeye ha picked up in passive mode. Fortunately, she only needed to find any communications signals so the passive mode was perfect for it. She would make her next move after her results.

Foliage

Tobias turned to Alec and spoke. "I'm going to pulse my active sensors for a moment and save the readings. Hopefully they don't notice us. It may make more sense for us to just go to active anyways, since it'll be too late for us if they get close enough for passives to pick em up."

He then toggled his active sensors on and off quickly, saved the results and began to examine them.

Foliage

"You can go active, I'll stay hidden." Alec said as he peeked around from their hiding spot. "They'll try to move up on you first, I can peek out, shoot out, and take out anyone you can't keep pinned." He decked back it, making sure a reload for his LCA was ready right by him.

"Plus less bullets get directed at me, and that's always plus."

Forest

Glynn was already aiming the unidentified object when his sensors were able to pick it up. The only thing that kept him from holding his trigger finger back was the uncertainty that came with the sound produced from his weapon. Even in the midst of combat, his chain gun would cause a large disturbance that would allure the enemy to their position, something which he assumed Linda wanted to avoid. Instead, when her orders were given, Glynn could be happy to know that he had made the correct decision at that time.

Still, this was a battlefield, and the likelihood of their entity being a hostile signature was very high. As a consequence, Glynn refused to remove the barrel of his weapon, and prepared to either take evasive or aggressive action. The possibility of this energy signal being an explosive was also very high, and if it was, then Glynn could not be expected to pacify it from a distance. In such a circumstance it would be best to avoid the brunt of the damage, and stay away from ground zero. The speed of the energy signal did not help but to further amplify his suspicions of this being an explosive weapon.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back