Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

New Batch of Lexxy Artwork!

Old on the left, new on the right. Opinions?

hanako_bio.png
hanako_bio2.png

Lexxy said:
Good artwork! But not quite what I had in mind. I mean, she's not looking the part of being a powerful, confident admiral I can put in a propoganda poster. Maybe we can change her facial expression a bit (mouth, eyebrows in particular) to help the look out a bit?

Ah yes... I knew I had SOME objective to acheive with the pose XD My original idea was for her to have her weight equally distributed on both legs, but after a while of it not wanting to work, the pose evolved and I forgot the original purpose.

Out of energy tonight, but at work tomorrow I'll play with it sommore.

Well, if there's a need to redo the drawing to get another pose, there's no need to discard this one. How many identical daughters does Yui have? I think Sharie's a taisho too (recycling is good for the environment! XD )

Fred, you're awesome, and absolutely right! Not only is Sharie pretty much Identical to Yui, she's also a Taisho so not even the rank would need to be changed. If we wanted to use this one for her instead, that's definately cool with me. I was hoping for Sharie art anyway, so it would work out excellently.

That said, I'd be cool with using this one for Yui, too.

Awesome! I'll just set this one aside for the future, then, and doodle up another one for Yui when I have a moment. Today's going to be a busy day at work so I may not have time. It needs to be Friday dammit D:<

Your work is very impressive and I appreciate the devotion of time you are giving to us.

Thanks a bunch!

Yerwelcome n.n

Tardy, I know, but after days of constant interruption, Katsuko!

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v332_kysds13_katsuko_06.webp

Wes, I'll prepare the PSD files for you now :3

Excellent! She's sexy, hehe. *blush*
>.> The only issue is the rank should be gold color, not the bluish one (Shosho, two ranks lower lol) See:
taisho_x5_small.gif

Ah, I was just going by the reference :3 easy fix!

Prepping to e-mail you the PSDs now.

Edit : : How should I go about doing that, by the way? PSDs are probably too big for e-mail o.o

Lexxy said:
Edit : : How should I go about doing that, by the way? PSDs are probably too big for e-mail o.o[/color]

Get a compressor that will compress the files into ZIP or RAR format. :)

And will Yui and her daughters be played by Angelina Jolie? ^_^

Psssh... their boobies aren't NEARLY big enough.

And I guess I could zip em. I can't help but think they might still be too big to attatch to an e-mail though. We'll see, I guess B:

Edit : : It worked, much to my surprise :O Consider them sent!

Lexxy said:
I can't help but think they might still be too big to attatch to an e-mail though. We'll see, I guess B:

Edit : : It worked, much to my surprise :O Consider them sent!
Gmail - Inbox said:
You are currently using 315 MB (12%) of your 2741 MB.

I know gmail inboxes are hugetastic, I just didn't know if there was a limit to how big a single attatchment could be B:

If I may put in a little bit of what I don't like:

the faces. it may be just me but the more anime style faces look a bit nicer. 8shrug* not that I'm saying Lex's art is bad just...not my taste. But good nonetheless.

Well, I CAN do more anime-styled faces. Unfortunately it's a bit late for stylistic changes, but if there's a general concensus that people would like something more akin to the old style I could change gears. I won't redo the ones I've already drawn, but I can do the rest differently if Wes and the others prefer.

Personally, I don't see THAT much difference between the current style and the old, aside from more detail and more proportional and anatomical accuracy. I'm going to prefer my more recent styles, naturally, as I think they're better, but I'm not limited to the one I'm using for this project.

What does everyone else think? Would you prefer faces more like this and this? Or do you prefer the style I'm working with now? There's really no effort involved as far as switching in between the two styles goes. I'm not particularly attatched to the one I'm using right now--it just happened to be how I ended up doodling Hanako, which I have been referring to with the more recent ones.

Edit : : Also, I think part of the different looks between the old and new styles is the way I've chosen to color. I think the older stuff was a little more akin to cell style shading than the new ones are. That's easy to do differently too *shrugs*

I'll be honest and say that the second style is what I expected. But I like how they look now because they're more lifelike. I prefer that lifelike-ness.

Not all artstyles appeal to everyone and that's normal (for example, in the MM community, the artist known as Ruby is very talented... and yet I can't say her very painterly artstyle is my favorite) - overall, I believe you are doing quite well.

I think you should keep striking a balance between quality and speed like you are doing now and work with whatever you feel the most comfortable with. To be frank, Wes paid to have you use your talent to draw some of the characters depicted on this forum roleplay.

Given this, you have succesfully done so with two of them, with the third not being up to expectation for the pose/mood, but to which you've agreed to rework a bit. I think this is most adequate.

Frankly, I'm rather impressed with how productive you've managed to be lately. You're making decent quality drawn pieces and are currently delivering, which is very important professionally. The only way I could see them being better would be to digitally ink your lineart before the coloring phase... but that takes a bloody eternity to do with the pen tool in photoshop >_<

*pats Lexxy's back in encouragement* You go girl! Are you still on Yui, or have you moved on to another character?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back