Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

New Batch of Lexxy Artwork!

Old on the left, new on the right. Opinions?

hanako_bio.png
hanako_bio2.png

I perfectly understand an artists problems. I've been my little sister's art critic for the last fifteen or so years.

And on the posture, well I'm more used to critiquing more straight profile works, since my sister normally starts her projects with draft sheets. Then she does poses, and those aren't as bent, as it were.

If it was a surprise then she wouldn't know about it in order to look miffed about it.

And you really think Hanako would be miffed?

This is really wrong, but...

1154681488406.jpg

Lexxy said:
First off, I'd like to thank you for persevering all this time. I'm amazed that you still want me to do work for you, given the number of times I've completely dropped off the face of the earth or forgotten the project existed. I should never have agreed to take on such a big project in the first place--I know how easily distracted I am, and I know how busy I can get (the combination of which is obviously disastrous XD ). I've also made some rather important decisions since I've started this project--like no longer pursuing art as a career. In any case, as for your suggestions, I do agree that perhaps our original plans ought to be renegotiated a bit.

For one, I don't think you ought to up the price. I agreed to work up to your budget--it's my fault entirely that I spend three or four times longer than I ought to per piece. What I would like to suggest though, if I may, is cutting the number of total commissions in the project. The fewer total drawings there are for me to complete, the more per drawing I'd be getting, the more justified I would be in taking the time I want to do the drawings properly.Twenty one orders, I have to admit, is very intimidating... What you cut it down to is largely up to you, but since you've only got 10 slots filled at the moment, perhaps capping it off there would work? I'll still redraw the characters from the original batch, so you'll come out of it with a few more than 10 in the end. And you're so proficient with image manipulation, that would probably give you enough bases to make lots of other characters from :D

Alternatively, instead of redrawing the older ones, I could produce special occasion art for you to put up on your front page during holiday seasons; eg: Hanako in a super lolitastic outfit for Halloween, Minato dressed up like one of Santa's helpers for christmas, or Ayame in an elegant gown for New Years. Stuff like that. I love doing things that allow me to take more creative liberty with my work. Sheena, Ayame, and Henry all still look good to me, even though they're old work, but I kind of still want to redraw Minato in standard character illustration format. Her facial features are totally and it bothers the hell out of me @_@

Also, would it be too much to ask of you to have a reference for all of the characters on the list? I noticed a lot of them don't have reference art, and I'm very hesitant about being the one to invent their appearances. It's different when you're doing a commission for once person and you have time to tailor the drawing to the client's liking, but I can't do that for six people and their respective characters and the last thing I want is to have someone dissatisfied with my representation of their character. I have no feel for this gaming universe or the characters that are in it. I could have the most detailed description possible, but I won't know the characters like you do. Even a set of busts or portraits would help--inventing bodies to go with faces isn't really an issue. If that's too much of a hassle, though, don't worry about it. I'll just do the best I can and hope the owner of the character is happy with the results :3

Anyway, sorry for all the trouble (and the long, rambling e-mail--I'm kind of sick today, so I'm afraid half of what I'm saying isn't going to make much sense XD ) Let me know what you think of these ideas or if you have any other suggestions of your own.

But Ayame's dead! *snorts* There isn't much purpose in having her character redrawn ... and we're asking her for art because we have no reference art, neh? I would think we're wanting her to invent the appearance based on description.

Damn artists and their life-changing ways. Oh well ... so it goes.

My inclination is to write her off, honestly. We won't hear from her fully until, well, she hits another slow spot in her schedule.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back