• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

Re: Osaka's art (3d&2d)

WIP in SAI for a character for KAI.

God I love having a camera for pose & proportion references

Attachments

• wip.PNG
    wip.PNG
    202 KB · Views: 553

A little something special, using the 3D stuff as a guideline for my proportions and shapes.

We're getting there, Doc.

Attachments

• wip.JPG
    wip.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 456

Can I has 3D modelling nao pleez?

helmetedsnailofwoolomol.png

HELMETED SNAIL OF WOLOMOLOO

I can! I can has 3D modelling!

Escape pods...

Cargo/rail assembly (the big ones are to scale with the XL cargo container on the wiki)

Four of these bad boys...

And two big guns planted in the engine arrays (no longer spindly pylons) instead of one mounted down the center for better concielment.

Old dimensions:
  • Length: 208.38 meters
  • Width: 80 meters
  • Height: 27 meters

New dimensions:
  • Length:344.5 Meters
  • Width: 153 Meters
  • Height: 55.6 Meters

For those unsure what that means, here's comparison to a Sakura:
  • Length: 173.65 meters
  • Width: 112.1 meters
  • Height: 25 meters

That's just under twice the length of the Sakura with almost four times the internal volume.
Each one of those engine pods with those prongs round the back is about the size of the main bulk of a Sakura.

Now I just gotta write it to make my compadre's happy but now I got some hard statistics to work with. I also got lots of room for new guns so I need to ask Doc what I mount in it (aside from the six L-Mark II's).

Nice lookin' Maras stuff! Especially the stuff a post up with the wireframe around the solids. And I love the multicolored layouts that show where everything is on the ship. Good job plus. Very awesome.

"This damn thing".

Haha! I can tell the obsessive detailing on this, and the time devoted to it, is a thankless perfectionist' chore that took so much time it's starting to take toll on the artist! :)

Don't give up, OsakanOne. What you have here is pretty great looking. Quality stuff. *thumbs up*

Experimenting with transparent rendering for when I do the deck-plans...

I think I'm going to have to break it up into frontal and rear sections, since there's too much detail to cover any other way without losing something.

The floor-plans still aren't done *groan*.

Fred: Actually, I'm using Miharu as a benchmark of quality for this, since I'm simultaniously writing it as I detail it... I still need to sort the superstructure out and add in some minor detailing for things like hatches, gun-ports, etc..

http://img263.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=ao1.gif

Feedback please.
This is exactly what you think it is.

The back is a little naked, I know -- I'll likely be adding some back-mount gear. The counter-part, Xi, will be a quad and built really differently...

This is a draft so I can fix stuff. If it works, I'll re-do the shell in detail and do some proper shaders and textures for it. At the moment, I'm interested in making the gimmicks work.

Ten points on who picks up on the word-play with the naming scheme.

It looks immensely fragile. Stylistically, it's very interesting, but I think it needs some bulking. Also, the flight mode seems a bit awkward to me.

• Special Effects test

My glow effect > Wes' glow effect lol

• Final Concept Art candidates

• Proper Roughing out in 3D
    (make sure all the gimmicks work in three dimensional space before I start modelling them)

Update with bloom
drivea.png

phaseyellow.gif

Practice detailing something fairly simple to gear up for doing Maras.

ai31.tinypic.com_2h70xoi.png

More here.

The interlocks either side of the main bus (the trio of forward facing disks near the prongs) are actually cargo-locks. You dock crates or disposable munitions... The idea is it's just big enough for two people, bunks, food and some powered-armor. Packs a lot of fire-power (note the forward cannons) and mobility (big engines at the back that bleed antimatter for sharp acceleration like an after-burner - note they can invert the feed to produce an anti-matter beam through the front vents).

A high-impact small starship capable of going it alone for extended periods of time at the cost of thick armor and structural integrity relying on smart use of her weapons, sensors and mobility above all.

Figure it's designed to have the faq customized out of it. Good as a long-range scout, heavy shuttle, heavy fighter, pirate or bounty hunter's personal vessel. Partial inspiration from the YT series of ships in Starwars as far as how they beg to have big engines dropped in and have the crap modified out of them -- and the old description for the Hoplite.

Might write it up.

I dunno.

Holey socks, Osaka, those glow-test turbines look fantastic! I like the blue over the yellow, but I'm sure they can both be used to equal effect ^_^

As for the "yours vs. Wes' " glow comparison, what's the difference in technique? How'd you make yours vs how'd he make his?

The renderer he uses creates the glowing effect using a post-render technique known as emulated bloom whereby you add a refraction off the lens in the form of a drop-shadow highlight in a pale color in the renderer's overpass which is pre-calculated based on the radient exitance which a basic renderer can't really do itself.

By using Raytracing and GI, I can create proper photon displacement of about a radiant exitance of 4.5W/srm^2 (1.0 is a passive sunlight within basic displacement at 1 kilometer, ideal for lighting stuff) with a much sharper falloff (how easily the light fails to penetrate fog or air) of about 8M/srm^4 (sunlight is actually several magnitudes higher).

I've set up materials to generate indirect illumination which the primary color is teal and the indirect refractive color is white. The result is it looks like an authentic glow and illuminates surrounding objects just as it should.

Since I'm using ray-tracing, I get authentic lens emulation which means the bloom matches the real thing when it's calculated in the overpass (post-effects, anti-aliasing, forced shadowing, gamma-tweaks, motion blur, color tweaks, lens-tweaks, crap like that).

In short, I'm using a photo-realistic renderer (means it emulates light precisely) but I'm not using photo-realistic materials or textures so it looks a bit plasticy.

And yes, I also prefer the blue. Has a weird Tron vibe to it.
The new light-cycle looks amazing. I was trying to mimic the effect... I need to read up on the optical responses of polished chrome and make some better lighting rigs to copy this effect so mine isn't quite so blatant and rough.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back