• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

Re: Osaka's art (be sure to check latest page - regular updates)

And of course, the spare.

I also need to find a way to reduce the size of the cockpit a little bit or adjust the profile of our pilot.

picture64ho0.png

Attachments

• Picture 59.png
    Picture 59.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 348
Re: Osaka's art (be sure to check latest page - regular updates)

Fixed the leg issue.

Attachments

• Picture 67.png
    Picture 67.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 342
  • Picture 66.png
    Picture 66.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Picture 65.png
    Picture 65.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 347
LOGISTICS

Okay, seems I've solved a logistical hurdle in terms of scale, only to hop right into another.

KNEES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

...So I need to either find a way to subvert the machine or force all pilots to get surgical work done on their knees so they can pilot it.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Picture 99.png
    Picture 99.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 337
  • Picture 98.png
    Picture 98.png
    118 KB · Views: 327
  • Picture 97.png
    Picture 97.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 339
Re: Osaka's art (3d&2d)

Seemed funny at the time

Attachments

• Picture 105.png
    Picture 105.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Picture 100.png
    Picture 100.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 102.png
    Picture 102.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 291

Whee~

Attachments

• Picture 110.png
    Picture 110.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Picture 109.png
    Picture 109.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Picture 108.png
    Picture 108.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 286

moar

Attachments

• Picture 113.png
    Picture 113.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Picture 112.png
    Picture 112.png
    115 KB · Views: 286
  • Picture 111.png
    Picture 111.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 289

I have to admit, the two/four leg mode switching is definitely interesting. At least, it seems like a better idea than how the old Glitterboys used to steady themselves to use their main cannon.

I just got over a big hurdle of logistics.

From now, the updates will mostly be stuff like detailing. You know. The stuff that matters?

I host this up here as much for your viewing as I do my own reference so I can see how things were on my older versions.

Thrown in a comparison. I'm really glad I've got the size down quite a bit from the original which completely segregated the legs from the main body. I've decided that the internal legs of the internal frame to the pilot would carry a set of thrusters so even if the legs of the machine rose below the hip, those of the pilot wouldn't. If they rose at the hip, those of the pilot would.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    116.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 233

Starting to look like something now...

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 416
  • Picture 13.png
    Picture 13.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 417
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 419

As a mecha lover, I'm digging these latest images. Putting the pilot's legs at that angle was a stroke of genius. I can trust it's gonna look awesome finished.

The only thing I would poke at, is that the feet look a little too chunky compared to the legs. At this point it's simply nit-picking since you aren't finished anyway, through. ;I

Yeah. At this point I'm working out works anatomically.

It still needs texturing and refining but this is what the leg looks like so far. I'm trying to decide whether the majority of my detailing will be mesh-based or if I'll do it object-based with sub-objects and bumpmapping to work in some form.

The smoother more organic leg you saw previously will be tucked under this and this exoskeletal/frontal armor frame is what will fold back to become the back legs.
It gives me a lot of options too: It could become a main booster to offset the weight (as seen in the quad pics), a holster for big weapons or the knees locked together so it becomes a Gundam-esque shield - or even ejected to become a funnel.

I need to kill the speculation and start coming up with cold hard conclusions to make this work or I'll never get anywhere.

Attachments

• Picture 38.png
    Picture 38.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 332
  • Picture 39.png
    Picture 39.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 332

Alright, the basic cockpit mesh is up. Now I just need to freeze and detail it and then start mounting the rest of the robot around it.

Looks like I can finally get on with this goddamn thing.

Attachments

• Picture 44.png
    Picture 44.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 290
  • Picture 43.png
    Picture 43.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 42.png
    Picture 42.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 295

Looks good as far as style goes, but....

Criticism ahead concerning the pose. If you're satisfied with how it is, don't read : )

The last view looks uncomfortable, like the pilot would be prone to sliding around. It's hard to explain, but I'll try.

From that last picture, it looks like the pilot is holding herself up by her elbows, leaving her feet to dangle. If that isn't the case, she isn't seated, so the main support isn't behind her. Her toes are turned down and her knees are bent at an angle that would be difficult to hold weight with and puts her center of mass too far forward. Any weight put on the knees would be transferred to the heels and then down to the toes which aren't the best things to provide support. Seems like it would cause strain to someone's posture and make them feel like they were falling forward.

Unless she's in space, gravity needs to be taken into account.

I hope this helps.

Discovered the rapid prototype tools today and did some sketches before I started. Biiiig difference. Looks like I can get all my gimmicks working before 401 comes out so I can do some IK chains (ie posable skeletal) work.

Attachments

• approach.PNG
    approach.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 232
  • approach2.PNG
    approach2.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 231
  • Approach 3.PNG
    Approach 3.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 228

More pics