Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

Re: Osaka's nonsense: Mecha & Characters, 3D & 2D art

Looks a bit like StarCraft cutscene animation.
Starcraft ftw.

Modo's modeling software.
Cinema 4D is for animating and rigging your props and rendering.

At first, the renderer seemed a bit "lite"...
...Then I discovered most of the rendering options (Sochratic sampling, global illumination, receive/generate caustics, etc) were all switched off.

Turns out the render is just an inkle more comprehensive than Modo's (read: They did Spiderman and Iron Man in this). Takes ages to render but I'm experimenting with simple objects to get a sense of what I can do with studio-style lighting.

I think if I animated anything in this, I'd be leaving it running for days at a time! (might be worth investing in a new or second computer at this stage for rendering)

Cube Render time: 00:03:58
Group Render time: 00:07:24
Conclusion:

• While I'm packing an 8800gts, my cpu is a pentium 4 Presscott which can't give it instructions quickly enough. I need to get a new mobo and proc - Leaving me with a spare motherboard... Maybe I should get a new case, too and build a second computer!

Attachments

• Picture 15.webp
    Picture 15.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Picture 16.webp
    Picture 16.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 330

Not really going for anything in particular.

Seems to be an effective technique.

Attachments

• Picture 18.webp
    Picture 18.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 317

Back in Modo.

I'm kind of amazed how easy it is to sculpt:

This torso started life as a sphere and I just followed some guidelines from images and enabled symmetry.

Looks surprisingly good.

When I next mass-subdivide, it'll clean my mesh up, turning it all into four-sided polygon squares so its' nice and easy to work with.

Attachments

• Picture 19.webp
    Picture 19.webp
    21 KB · Views: 311
  • Picture 20.webp
    Picture 20.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 313

Going for a Powered Armor look. Building it like a doll or Gundam kit.

When more experienced, might try building it ontop of a person, plate by plate.

Attachments

• Picture 1.webp
    Picture 1.webp
    4.4 KB · Views: 306
  • Picture 2.webp
    Picture 2.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 307

It seems that when Modo creates a sculpted object, the mesh is actually a bit wasteful.

BUT!

It has tools so you can lay down a quad (square) mesh topology over existing objects: You draw dots, then align them and you can create a simpler nicer mesh to work with.

En anglais?

Sculpt, draw and scribble.
Then build a mesh over it. You have an awareness of where your notches and cool extrusions (lights, weird shapes, etc) are so you can build the mesh over your sculpt BASED on this (that's kind of godly compared to 3DSMax or C4D).

Attachments

• Picture 7.webp
    Picture 7.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 250
  • Picture 6.webp
    Picture 6.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 243

It's never a question of talent, but how much you're willing to practice at it. Some people have an easier time at it, sure, but anyone can get very good with a good teacher (be it a person or an instruction book) and a whole lot of practice.

A wise man once told me talent is how much energy you can devote to something.

Good quote recog. "If you are willing to devote the time, anyone can become a genius."

Current WIP.

A bit dirty but I like it.

Discovered Color Layer. Surprisingly useful for post-lighting effects.

Attachments

• Picture 1.webp
    Picture 1.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Picture 2.webp
    Picture 2.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 500

I think this could become the 103.

Basically a modeling experiment for shits and giggles.

Gonna give my parts volume, then specify more complicated bits.

Attachments

• Picture 22.webp
    Picture 22.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 407
  • Picture 24.webp
    Picture 24.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 315
  • Picture 25.webp
    Picture 25.webp
    15 KB · Views: 354

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtcWa3cD4k

Basic camera experiment in Cinema 4D:
Gonna work out how to have the number display speed or height or something later.

I've decided 4D has better animation tools and Modo better modelling/skinning/detailing tools so I'll be using both.

I wanna try this when I'm done modeling so until then, I'm fiddling with basic camera tricks so I can knock together some keyframes and do something like a pan-around or flight

When I eventually get hold of a Connexion3D SpaceExplorer, I'll be able to more advanced tricks and animate objects moving in three dimensions much easier: It's a case of setting a camera to an object and a mesh and recording actions like maneuvers in three dimensions.
It's how stuff like dogfighting or 1st person scenes in 3D are usually done.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back