Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Osaka's doodling

OsakanOne here. The better stuff of my journey to artistic enlightenment ends up here. At this point, it's mostly just experimentation...

lolipw5.png

If you'd like me to have a go at something for you, just ask here!

Re: Osaka's nonsense: Now with 3D Sculpting!

Alright: I think I'm finally getting this.

I followed a rapid prototyping tutorial for quickly producing usable meshes.
What I'm effectively doing is designing the outer plating - sort of like the body-kit or chassis of a car without the internals or the joints or the wheels added.

I'm breaking it down into key components and roughing out to achieve a sense of volume at this point:
There won't be any mechanical detail until I've established my volume against my sketches and I then do the topology (that is, the final mesh) unless I can salvage the existing mesh (which is a bitch to do).

I'm still getting used to the tools... ^^;

Attachments

• Picture 18.webp
    Picture 18.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Picture 20.webp
    Picture 20.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 428
  • Picture 25.webp
    Picture 25.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 431

Some look of a loose three-dimensional sketch of what the other parts are likely to look like, wrapped around the cockpit unit.

The idea of the cockpit is you eject the reactor and the pilot and a small number of engines so there's a chance of actually escaping. Plus, the frame actually armors the pilot pretty effectively, protecting the pilot from kinetic weapons that would hamper smaller units.

Best of all, the cockpit and the rest are seperate parts so it's feisable to do a transformation without crushing or hurting the pilot. :D

Attachments

• Picture 23.webp
    Picture 23.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 441
  • Picture 21.webp
    Picture 21.webp
    21 KB · Views: 453
  • Picture 24.webp
    Picture 24.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 441

POINTY BOOBIES!

*cough cough*

It's really improving. From rough draft to polished product, you really deliver.

Looking forward to seeing this finished, assuming you manage to finish it. Possibly a bit thin in places, but it's a work in progress and I know you're zealous enough to flesh it out perfectly.

Some parts feel like they could be bulked up.

Mind marking anything displeasing in MSPaint at this point?

And yes, they're too pointy. For now, they're placeholders so I can establish volume.

Edit:
On reflection, the proportions are off but I like this new look.

I'll save a second version with this look, fix it and come back to it later. Looks kind of sinister, like a baddie or an alien, as if a Mishhu took control of it.

Goofing around.

Feeling off for the 3D: Want to make sure I know what I'm building before I jump in and make it all pointy and weird.

I really need to work on the limbs...

Attachments

• Picture 27.webp
    Picture 27.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 28.webp
    Picture 28.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 296

Something for Doc.

My way of saying "thanks for putting up with my shit".

Attachments

• Turn-A.gif
    Turn-A.gif
    81.9 KB · Views: 330

Started on the head, worked from scratch rather than re-use old bulkier head.
Will create a "detail" mesh from these constituents. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.webp
    Picture 1.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Picture 2.webp
    Picture 2.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 427
  • Picture 3.webp
    Picture 3.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 443

SEIG ZEON!
(I thought of you, Kampfer)

Attachments

• Picture 7.webp
    Picture 7.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 456

Ah, Mobile Suit Gundam.

The pictures remind me of that whole Bioshock system where the visor turns red if you shoot the Big Daddies, otherwise its green.

Kind of gives it a strangely human quality, since the whole black surface is a visual sensor and the eyes are just ground-target spotters that have been neatly arranged - a nimble fighter who chooses her targets.

Sort of like it was meant to fly above and hit things below it - a bombing type or something. I still have the original face-plate but this will likely be listed in the modifications when I'm done.

Now I need to go in with the pen tool and create a fresh "clean" mesh that'll Sub-D nicely and soften well - the existing one has lots of flaws in it's geometry but depicts the general "volume" I want.

Attachments

• Picture 8.webp
    Picture 8.webp
    15 KB · Views: 386
  • Picture 9.webp
    Picture 9.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Picture 10.webp
    Picture 10.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 388

HOLY FUCKING SHIT LOOK AT THAT
MY GOD IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING CIRCLE

...It took me an hour to work out the formulae to turn one point into four (and from there, turn that into a perfect circle).

Mechanical detailing just got a LOT easier..

I... I think I need a moment.

Attachments

• Picture 4.webp
    Picture 4.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Picture 6.webp
    Picture 6.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 313
RPG-D RPGfix
Back