• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Tech Wars 101: The Issue and Discussion

Whichever you want examples for, let me know and I'll go and pick out things such as Zack insisting USO is better armed/militarily capable than elements of Yamatai and Nepleslia or where Arieg insisted that his machine was "designed better and couldn't lose". I feel it's a bit odd, since this is something most people who've been here more than a week know that examples exist.
This kind of stuff is what concerns me. First of all, @Zack, since when in hell were we more armed than any element of the neps, and second of all, @Arieg, no design ever works the way its supposed to, and I can garun friggin tee that if anyone relied on superior engineering in real life they'd get trounced pretty fast.

Authors should generally make articles to fit their factions' places in the setting
This is one thing I focused on in my USO articles. Things were either made to be cool as hell and be a good idea second, or be cheap and made with available tech.

@Arieg, no design ever works the way its supposed to, and I can garun friggin tee that if anyone relied on superior engineering in real life they'd get trounced pretty fast.
Usually it tends to be within the 80 percentile though the F-15E during gulf war one pulled off high nineties, I merely stated I covered more odds and ends such as including anti-tank missiles on a tank design to boost its chances when dealing with other tanks (the russians love doing this). It just boils down to detail, I worry about more things when designing something then most do and what comes out the other end is typically higher on the detail.

@Arieg you keep spouting a number without any citation, and this has gone on long enough here. So until you make a topic that explains why there's a 3 second 'limit' to guns and why you think missiles will actually work at excessive range, rather than simply saying "It'll work" I'm not going to reply to you about it anymore.

@Wes asked us to give any solution suggestions we have, so let's get back to that. Mine was in post 129 with a requote and clarification in post 140

Yeah, when Did that three light second rule ever come from. I keep hearing it cited as the reason I can't use railguns at long range like they thematically should be.

@Alex Hart consider the state of Nepleslia's weapon development compared to USO's

USO has been putting way more time and energy into building itself up. That shows in the RP and the quality of our wiki articles.

Uso has less stuff numerically but the stuff we do have is more modern.

That may be true, but that does not make us better armed. In addition to that, while our stuff is more modern, that does not make it more advanced. Our ships and fighters probably use tech from before YE-1. Every old ass ship the neps has is probably more advanced than ours.

@Alex Hart consider the state of Nepleslia's weapon development compared to USO's

USO has been putting way more time and energy into building itself up. That shows in the RP and the quality of our wiki articles.

I'm commenting on this because this is part of the logic that we worry about. Modern does not automatically mean better. Yeah Nepleslia has been kinda slow, but they do have some modern stuff. But the real thing is -development-. I could make something 20 years after the original, but if no one has spent the time to develop the technology involved it wont really be better. A brand new faction that is a splinter, shouldn't have the research to make something better than the people it splintered from magically. The splinter also has likely less resources(which is does in this case) so how is something better going to come from same research level and less resources other than by chance?

Wazu worked on those old ass ships!

Besides, isn't this more of a discussion for some kinda in character defense blog? I could write pages on why you would want X design feature on Y craft, and why Z is not a useful thing...

Sorry Nepleslia isn't actively trying to make OP/stronger technology?

Not sure why we should be forced to, but it's nice to know that you want to wedge your faction above both the Iroma and them, effectively taking a seat as the second strongest technological faction in the setting. It's a bit sad that you continue to prove that this mentality that so many people dislike (metagaming) exists and that you're a proud supporter of it.

STOP LEANING ON WAZU GODDAMIT.

I work hard on the tech for the USO, and Wazu takes almost all of the credit for stuff IC.

He needs to back off, and let some new people do stuff. He can't keep being a crutch for you zack.

He isn't with the USO, and developing most of our tech with him isn't great for us. Maybe one or two pieces, but the amount you rely on Wazu is slightly frightening.

How would you make new tech without Wazu?

Wazu is also only one person, there is only so much he can research. Just like with Yori, I have her making new uses for gravity related technology. But That's it, because she tends to focus there. She doesn't make huge break through in anything else, and even still the breakthroughs she makes are less breakthrough and more "Well why don't you do this?" Wazu only has so much time and capacity. He couldn't advance all military technology on his own research. And if you say he started way long ago, well there have already been tech advances within the decade, so if he started from a place behind the now his research likely wouldn't have gone faster than the setting.

If nepleslia wants to keep using my old stuff that's fine. However you can't expect to just use my old stuff, never add to it, and expect to be the best.

Part of having a faction is maintaining their wiki. That means adding to and updating old articles.

---

@Alex Hart I generally just play two characters on SARP and everything I do is pretty much 'Uso and Wazu's adventures'

Without Wazu around I just wouldn't be making Tech. Uso would have to scrounge up some other way of getting stuff.

Wazu just makes stuff because he wants to.

Okay, but that's the problem. Everything you make has wazu attatched to it. The USO has to stand on its own, and you have to learn to do/make stuff without Wazu.

I learned to be in plots without mecha didn't I @Zack?

If nepleslia wants to keep using my old stuff that's fine. However you can't expect to just use my old stuff, never add to it, and expect to be the best.

Part of having a faction is maintaining their wiki. That means adding to and updating old articles.

---

@Alex Hart I generally just play two characters on SARP and everything I do is pretty much 'Uso and Wazu's adventures'

Without Wazu around I just wouldn't be making Tech. Uso would have to scrounge up some other way of getting stuff.

Wazu just makes stuff because he wants to.
Yet again, you misunderstand. Updating articles for quality? We've been doing that.

But when we're faced with you making machines that surpass the tech average? Simply because you can?

This is the issue, Zack. Maintaining articles doesn't mean these craft can just suddenly beat something that you statistically make better and put drastically greater tech on it and justify it simply by saying "It's modern!"

If we want to keep using old things, we can't because your new tech forces us to change it. Heck, sometimes to the point it's nothing like the original. This point still escapes you.

And this is the kind of reason why this thread exist. You as a player should not be here trying to be the best.

@Wes I think this is all the reason we really need to enforce some limits on technological advancement, players trying to be the best rather than having fun will turn this into a dick measuring contest.

Wazu is a hard worker. He can certainly stand on his own.

Uso is lazy unless she needs to do something. She will lean on anyone to get what she wants. In this case Uso standing on her own is Uso getting everyone to do stuff for her. I mean, have you considered what Uso brings to the table? She doesn't really have any skills that are super useful yet she's managed to pull together a lot of talented people.

Edit: 'surpass the tech average'? I mean if you can find something that goes over what is allowed you can comment on it but We have more stuff that comes in under the bar than most.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back