• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 15] Gifted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Mission 15.1] Gifted

Engineering

Akemi carefully observed the screens in front of Takeyu and his actions before he stood up to address her. "Yes sir. I updated my backup just before I came to see you. I was wondering if I could help you with anything."

Lounge

Sune watched the crew members as they decorated the tree. When did they get that onboard? More to the point why? he thought.

Hanako seemed to be enjoying herself, so he decided to not to intrude upon the activity. He acquired a bottle of water and silently exited the lounge and made his way down to the rec room, with a brief stop at his cabin.

He realized that in the recent flurry of activity that he had forgotten that it was soon to be years end, and he had not purchased any gifts. This year had been quite a blur, with one battle seeming to blend into another.

Rec Room

Once in the room, Sune started out with his standard stretching routine. This was his first time performing his exercise regimen with the new body, and wanted to see how effective it was, or if he would need to upgrade his routine.

Once he was limber, he launched himself into his normal set of katas. His new body was performing flawlessly. In fact he was able to perform his standard routine in one third less time with out difficulty. He stopped and walked over and picked up his training sword.

Returning to the center of the room, he slid easily into his Iaijutsu kata, blade and body becoming one. After he was satisfied with his Iaijutsu form, he then put the blade away and headed back towards his quarters.

"That's good, make sure you have a loadout figured out as well..." Takeyu rubbed his chin in thought for a few moments while continuing to stare at the reactor.

Then he glanced over to his side at a volumetric display that was showing the current status of the ships sensor systems. Despite the textual information being reversed on his end, he could make out the details quite clearly, and that everything was operating the way it should be.

Despite that, he sent a build order to the Fabrication Bay to produce four additional Quantom Mirrors. Then walked back over to his station where he sat there for a full minute, watching the display and the power settings as they fluctuated every so often in response to the ships doing things.

"Ok.. let's see..." he muttered as he ran a systems check on the ships life support, then one more on the ships weapons systems, before finishing it off with the CFS system.

He wanted to check on some of the ships systems himself, just to make absolutely sure everything was working like it should, but he knew that at any moment they'd be called deploy. "Akemi-hei, tell me, how much do you know about the Mindy Armor?" he was just creating conversation, but if she wanted to become a tech, he knew the best way was to start quizing her.

Engineering

"Yes, I did that as well before I came here. I also coated the chosen equipment with the stealth material spray that was left out for us. I chose two gauss cannons, a backpack attachment and an Aether Beam Saber-Rifle so that I would be well equipped to handle NMX Rippers and any mecha or heavily armored vehicles my team might encounter since we don't know what the Mishhuvurthyar will have at their disposal assuming they are occupying the planet. In addition I chose two leg NSB launchers to provide me with ample support bits to counter missiles and lightly armored enemies in case we are swarmed by them." Akemi paused before continuing.

"I believe it is safe to say I know a great deal about it and all the other armors our military uses and has used. I have thoroughly studied our armor designs past and present as well as those of the Elysians, Nepleslians and independent commercial entities such as Origin Industries among others. I have studied and continue to study all information on armor that I have access to. I know the Mindy model we currently use became our standard armor in YE 29 and that it is a third generation armor in the Mindy line. I know the Mindy is based off of the Lamia and that there is a newer 3A model which has modified kinetic energy absorbing armor and does not require its wearer to remove their clothing to properly interface with it. It is a light, general purpose armor. I know that it is beginning to feature less prominently in our forces as fighter craft are being employed more often to replace power armor in general."

Lounge

Hanako grabbed a phone on a nearby wall and replied to Rina. "Santô Hei Inoue, please dock using the ventral shuttle dock as soon as the shuttle there is cleared...which should be right away. I will be down to greet you shortly," the Shosho replied.

Leaving the pretty conifer, the young, teal-haired admiral walked to the main zero-gravity passage and floated head-first down to the docking port there and waited for Rina to arrive.

Rec Room

Sune made his way back to his quarters, he looked in on the activities in the lounge. Once in his room he picked up a clean Type 30 Male Duty uniform and went to the ship's showers. Once he was satisfactorily clean, he dried off and put on the clean clothes. He deposited his dirty clothes into a hamper and then left.

Lounge
Sune walked into the Lounge, and surveyed the room. He still was finding it incongruous to have a Yule Tide tree aboard ship. He walked over to the tree and surveyed the progress being made. It had been four years since he had watched people decorate one before he had enlisted. His first holiday while in the service was New Years at the end of YE 30. He remembered the evening on Hanako's world with the crew of the Eucharis.

Medical Bay

"What now?" Hakujou parroted. "You get dressed. I'll handle the disposal of the body." She said, shooing the soldier to get some clothes before turning to Helen.

"Ah Helen, I was wondering when you'd venture into my little slice of heaven." Hakujou said in a pleasant tone and polite smile as she walked over to her. "You want an update? Right this way." She said walking with Ms. Klien. "If you're here to check up on me, I've been behaving." She whispered as she warmed the Mental backup bed.

Engineering

Takeyu gave a nod before turning toward the soldier. "Ok, what about this," he turned back toward his terminal as a volumetric display appeared, it was transperent for a moment but then after Takeyu interacted with it for a full minute, he turned around and the back of the display was completely black, hiding whatever it was Takeyu was looking at from Akemi's eyes.

"Can you describe the technical specifications of the following four weapons that a Mindy pilot may use: Aetheric Pulse Cannon, Fifty milimeter Gauss Cannon, then we have the Aether Beam Saber-Rifle and last, but not least, the Accelerated Plasma Rifle. If you don't know the full details, don't worry to much about it, I'm just curious what you 'do' know right know. After all, you may have to service one of those weapons in the field at some point."

Engineering

"Yes sir." Akemi immediately began reciting the complete manual entries of each weapon in the order he listed them in. Her computer-like mind made this very easy, but she did not actually bring up the files stored within it. Her regular memory was sufficient. She only paused when moving on from one piece of equipment to another. If told or signaled to stop she would do so. The little Nekovalkryja found this line of questioning strange. She had hoped he would take her seriously when she said she was an expert on power armor and instead teach her about repairing spaceships such as the one they were on.

As she acknowledged Hanako's reply, Rina mentally kicked herself. Of course she would use conventional communications, no need to broadcast to anyone who happened to listen! And what was she thinking contacting the Shôshô directly? The bridge officer for clearance first. She must be more nervous than she had thought.

Once the shuttle docked Rina swept up her duffel, giving the pilot who was preparing to return to the Aurora a nod and quick smile of thanks. With a deep breath she triggered the hatch, to be faced by Hanako already waiting. Letting her duffel fall to the side, Rina bowed deeply before the admiral.

"Santô Hei Inoue of the Star Army Infantry reporting for duty Shôshô. It is my honour to serve under you."

Medical Bay

After Konoka finished Akemi's backup, she felt a bit..extraneous. Apparently, the crew had gotten used to this Hakushi person. I was here first, Konoka thought selfishly. I know Hakushi was my 'replacement', but until Klein-Shosa said that, I didn't really feel replaced. But I guess only Hanako-Shosho, Sune, Ramiro, and Takeyu remember me, now, huh?

Konoka wondered if the rest of the crew would come for backups. She realized Hakushi could probably handle it by herself. Nevertheless, Konoka didn't want to forget this homecoming, no matter how disappointing it was becoming.
She decided that she'd come back later and ask Hakushi to help her with her own back-up.

Until then, she decided she'd take a break. She didn't have to be ready for the mission just yet. With a wave, she left the Medical Bay and walked to the crew lounge, taking the medical kit for the mission later.

Lounge
Konoka saw Sune in the lounge, lost in thought. She smiled and walked over to him.
"Sune-Shosa," she smiled. "It's been too long. How are you, old friend?"

She laughed. "I remember the last year's-end we were together, you were just a Hei like me. As I recall, we danced. That was so fun! But you've rised so far since then, haven't you?"

Sune had become so much more helpful than Konoka these past few years. Konoka was so proud of her old friend. The move from medical to science to officer had been good for him.

Yet tonight, looking at the Yule Tide tree, Konoka felt nostalgic for the old days when she'd been sharing a medical bay with Sune. Those were the days that had made the Eucharis feel so much like home.

Medical Bay

"Nothing like the brass breathing down your neck, right?" Helen spoke in reply to Hakujou about 'behaving', "I've been there before, you'll survive it." she said, in hopes of assuring Hakujou that things were not going too bad. "Yeah... I'm just wanting to update my back-up, don't put me in one of those new low-performance bodies." On that thought, Helen decided to add something; "Oh, and if I were to die, do me a favor and acquire a worthwhile replacement body for me, alright? 22, 29, and 33 models are out of the question." she spoke as she went about laying on the bed once it was warmed up. "And put that in my record too, if I die, I'm going to remember this conversation as the last memory I had, you know." she laughed a little on the prospect, as she prepared for the machine to activate. "Haku-chan, do me a favor... tell me something funny just before you hit the button, I want to wake up laughing if I'm brought back, takes the edge off of realizing I died."

Medical Bay

"Not to worry, if need be I'm still a 27," she said tapping her arm, "I'll donate some material for synthesis." When Helen asked about going and returning with a smile, she paused for a second as she thought up the best joke she could. Snapping her fingers she leaned in near Helen's ear and whispered it as she reached for the button.

Medical Bay

"How thoughtful of you." Helen said, genuinely touched by Hakujou's offer of genetic material. She then let out a soft sigh, as she prepared for the mildly discomforting procedure, and when Hakujou leaned in, she paid mind to what was whispered, before she broke into a sort of chuckling-giggle as the machine went into effect, and she felt that distinctively 'draining' feeling of having every single piece of her 'soul' copied. She still was amused though, chuckling lightly as the procedure finished. "Mmm, that was a good one, thank you Haku-chan." Helen spoke, as she reached out and gently patted Hakujou on the shoulder. "Everything copy properly?" she asked, waiting for the all-clear to get out of the bed.

Medical Bay

Hakujou looked over the readout. "Yep, everything copied properly, should I have to reawaken you, be careful when you chuckle, you might start drowning."

Medical Bay

"No need to worry." Helen spoke, as she brought her legs off the edge of the bed, and stood up before giving a nod to Hakujou. "It was good to stop by, but I've got to get back to mission preparation. Perhaps we could share a meal later in the wardroom, catch up on things." Helen spoke while smiling lightly. "Oh, and try to make the other medic feel welcome, I know how you can be with your workspace." Helen spoke, while making her way to the doors of the medbay. "Mmm, and when I'm out on the mission, I'll keep an eye out for any interesting samples for you." Helen spoke, before stepping out the door to head to the bridge, so she could monitor the sensors and plan out the mission which was ahead of her.

Lounge

Looked at Konoka, recalling the dance and the festivities before the storm blew in. "That was a good time Konoka-San. The wind on the beach, the music...." Sune replied then paused while he reflected on that night.

That night was three years ago, more than 60% of his life since that happy time had been in ever increasing desperate battles in the war. he thought.

"It seems almost another lifetime. A very different world, and we were all much young, more naive perhaps." He took a sip of his bottled water before continuing. "Has your life turned out the way you expected? I know mine has definitely taken unexpected turns."

Engineering

Takeyu nodded with satisfaction. "Now, you're probably wondering why I just had you answer that question. This is because being a technician isn't all about maintaining a starship, we also maintain things other than that. Vehicles, power armor, you name it."

Getting up from his seat again, the volumetric display he had opened, which was listing the technical schematics and specifications of the weapons he had just quized Akemi on, disappeared. "You have techs who serve in infantry squads, who maintain the squadrons weaponry and vehicles. You have technicians who serve on the ground, maintaining equipment such as turrets, batteries, command centers, you name it."

Walking over to the capacitors, he knelt down to inspect one of them before getting up. "Our job is very broad, for as long as you serve on the Eucharis, you'll learn how to not only maintain her systems, but also how to service them. Remember to treat this ship like you'd treat your own child." He got up and placed his hand on the wall, then with a faint smile he walked over to the exit. "Since things are quiet right now, we'll go ahead and do some maintenance inspections," he said to Akemi and then looked over at Cherry.

"Heisho, I'm headed to the portside to inspect the power relays and cables that lead to the CFS system. If anything comes up please let me know," he then glanced over at Akemi. "I want you to observe and watch for now," he then grabbed a repair kit from the damage control station. He already knew that it was doubtful that the system needed any repairs, in fact, he knew it didn't. However, he wanted to at least get her started on some of the ships important areas given their lack of properly trained technicians.

Engineering

Akemi nodded. "Yes sir." She proceeded to follow him out of the room. As she went she thought only about what he had said and the task at hand.

Lounge
"Well, for one, Sune-san, I never expected that three years later you'd be a Shosa, and my First Officer, at that. I'm so proud of you," Konoka smiled. "I feel like my life as of late has been much less eventful than yours. Simple medical work on the Vesper, most recently...backups and such. The Eucharis may be a magnet for danger, but it's always so exciting! That's one of the reasons I came back...that, and to see you and Ramiro and my other old friends. Speaking of which...you and Ramiro used to be best friends. How is he these days? I've been out of everyone's personal and professional loops way too long. Not a lot of news reached the Vesper. I found myself remembering that night on Hanako's World a lot...it was the last time so many of our friends were all together."

Now, most of those friends had either left or died. It had been too long. Now, most of the crew were strangers to Konoka, and Hakushi had won them over in a way Konoka had won over the Eucharis' former crewmembers so long ago. Konoka wanted to get some of the optimism she'd had back then back!

"Sune-Shosa," Konoka smiled, a lightbulb going off in her head. "It's not too late to bring some of that joy back, even if we are older and wiser now. Would you like to go and wish some of the crew 'Happy Yule Tide' with me? I realize I don't know a lot of them, and it seems like this would be a good chance to fix that. After all, it's not often we have such a long stretch of time without catastrophy striking to get to know one another."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…