Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Yome Ismâopate [Mission 2.2] Return and recover.

Damira Ruosa

Yanga took a deep breath and then he pointed towards where he was headed. "I need to get in there to replace the modules." Alpin nodded and after a long minute they got an access panel open and the much smaller Yanga wiggled into the crawl way. One by one they worked together to get things swapped out, Alpin handing down what Yanga needed so he could everything swapped out and running smoothly. Once that was done Yanga ran another diagnostic to make sure there wasn't anything else that needed replacing or repairing immediately.

Wapoin Ruosa

"I see.. it shouldn't be more than a simple treatment then." She stepped over and examined him, first checking the injury to his head wanting to get that settled first, then she followed it with a quick examination to see if he had any broken bones or bruising. "He doesn't seem too bad." She moved to gather medical equipment she'd need and quickly made her way back.

Wapoin Ruosa

As La'tâ started to work on Memi, the Kynlumu'a let out a loud shout of pain and then fell into a groan. Incoherent mumblings and grumbles started up from him. Though most of it was just random sounds and noises, what could be made out was something about the stacks and shelving in the Ruohu Kyponsâ collapsing, and possibly that he was stuck under it all. The young Qaktoro shifted and twitched about, as if he was indeed under a great pile of shelving units books and scrolls. This wiggling about was surly no help to the tender that was trying to work on him.

Damira Ruosa

When Yanga ran his diagnostic, one of the units went to online, then offline. Looking at its location from the room he and his apaloa. A billowing cloud of dark smoke was coming up from the floor.

Wapoin Ruosa

As La'tâ was gathering her tools. The ceiling lights dimmed, and she found herself launched into the air by her step as she hit a pocket of no gravity. While it was not a large one it was enough for her to impact on the ceiling then drop precipitously when she exited the pocket.

Bridge

Meanwhile with the power systems restored the Yome engaged its Tinvyma Piatypeda and set a course for the nearest Mâhoa'ka Âdor which was located on Âmuar.

Fofinor Abuka

Miali had intended to take a nice relaxing shower, but when she got to the place and started washing up after that sweaty experience in the Dahome, she soon discovered that she had just missed the unfortunate injuring of a crewmate thrown in the shockwave into a wall. Some of the blood was still visible in spots where the cleansing waters missed it. She hurried to finish up and grabbed a towel to her wet silver fur, inquiring from Tasi, the ship's brain, and finding out it was Sar Memi. The Tuoro frowned visibly, as it seemed that boy kept getting into some kind of dramatics again and again... though she hoped he was alright, and made a note to visit the Wapoin Ruosa as soon as she was done with her self-care rituals.

Deck 1, Crew Quarters

Sar Syavis was quick to return to her quarters get back into her comfortable duty robes, and reclaim her treasured Gulvisapur at her side with a pleased purr. She was so focused on changing into something comfortable that it was only then that she noticed there was a large bag of belongings sitting on the other bunk. "Looks like I've got a roomie," she mused aloud, looking at the tag and seeing the name of 'Alpin Lupaie'. "Heh, what do you know... the muscled brother. I wonder what he is into... though, I sure hope he's cool with my jams." This was in reference on how she liked to use the Uos Tasbai speaker system for something more hip than just nature sounds.

She hadn't forgotten about visiting Memi, but there was one other thing to do first. In the corner of the room there was a large pot on the floor containing a rather well branched Jodauvit that was several meters tall. It had just arrived with Miali shortly before the first mission, but had already started trying to climb the walls of the room on her side and find good spots to attach to in its new environment. There was also a couple smaller pots holding two tiny strands of about one meter in length. Miali gave the large pot a good watering, and then focused on these smaller ones, taking the two Jodauvit strands and winding the green vines around each of her wrists so that they found purchase in her skin. One was the one that she always wore as a sign of her roots in the Poku Vit, but the other Think Plant she had been saving for a friend... and she knew just the person who may benefit most from it.

The graceful Tuoro stepped into the hallway to see if she could track down Murr Whisk, but it seemed that Siamaka smiled on her, for the Tula in question was just entering her room right at that moment. Miali ran over with a cheerful smile, quite surprised to see her so mobile after being gravely injured just a short time ago, "Hey, Sar Whisk... you feeling better?" she asked, peering into the open door.

Murr's Den (quarters)

Murr just finished with the note and attaching it to the empty bunk pillow where it wouldn't be missed. She heard her name being called and the question followed. Turning towards the sound, Murr noticed it was the pilot that flew the fitter back to the Yome Isaopate and much to her shame which was quite visible by her ears wilting.

She quickly typed on her electronic notepad and shown the what was written on it. As she motioned for Sar Maili to enter by tilting her head in the direction of the chair at the room's desk.

:: I sincerely apologize in my actions of pointing a loaded weapon on you. I was hyped up on the after effects of battle and concern for the safety of those in my charge. I am fine. Sar La'a did a good job along with Sar Jasqi expert touch. I'm on light duty at the moment. May I inquire to whom you are? ::

She showed Maili what she had typed with a hopeful look. Even though if Maili wanted to bring up charges against her. Murr would understand she had over stepped bounds even heavily medicated and high adrenaline as she was. But she was still combat effective according to herself.

Wapoin Ruosa

La'tâ suddenly found herself floating as she entered the pocket of zero gravity and though it took a moment to realize the situation, she was quick the collect all her supplies and make sure nothing dropped before returning to Memi's side. Noticing Memi's struggles with an imaginary bookcase she set her tray of tools down and gently grasped his hand. She spoke in a soft voice, unsure if he could hear her. "I've got you, the book case is off." She hoped that her words and gestures would free his subconscious of the snare he thought he was in.

Murr's Den (quarters)

Miali entered the room slowly and saw Murr's body language expressing shame, which caused her to give pause and quirk a whiskered eyebrow. Then as she saw the screen of text the fellow crewmate had typed, then she understood exactly what the problem was. "Are you still hung up on that? Yeah, I was a bit scared for a sec, but I totally understand how you get in the zone when in a situation of life or death. So don't beat yourself up over it anymore, because that's not going to help you heal any faster."

"So, let's try a take two on our introduction," suggested the Tuoro as she gave a graceful bow of a dancer. "I'm Miali Syavis, the new Adornopa'a aboard the Yome Ismaopate. It was a pleasure fighting beside you today." The young crewmate then paused, and extended a paw to Murr. "I also saw you running around the Flitter Bay moments ago, even after being majorly wounded and the ship getting thrown for a loop. So I wanted to check on how you were doing, and offer you a small present to help make sure there's no misunderstandings from now on."

Around the wrist of the paw she extended in friendship was the green viney plant known as a Jodauvit, hanging loosely like a living rope bracelet. Murr would immediately recognize it from back in her studies being a member of the Poku Vit.

Last edited:
Murr's Den (quarters)

Murr's eyes lit up as her ears perked back up at spotting the Jodauvit vine. Smiling, knowing that to give a gift of Jodauvit vine to another meant good things and all was forgiven. She stepped forward, raising her paw towards Maili. She gave the universal hand gesture to wait a minute. She moved to the desk and opened a drawer to pull out CD Disk and came back to Maili. Written on the CD was "Paw-Speak : Beginner to Advance : by Murr Whisk."

Even good things come from bad situations. The bounce returned to Murr's step as she returned to Maili, holding out the CD to be either accepted or denied. But at least Murr was returning the gesture as she had been taught to exchange 'Gifts of Friendship' as Maili was showing her.

Murr's Den (quarters)

Miali stood there a moment and looked curiosly at the instructional CD that was offered to her from Murr, making the connection from what she saw before. "Ooh, so that funny dance you do with your paws is a language? How about that!" The Tuoro then cracked a sly smile as she took the disk in her other hand, "Not the usual stuff I listen to, but I'll give it a whirl for you. Qantsu."

Sar Syavis then removed the Jodauvit vine bracelet she had offered and moved to place it gingerly around Sar Whisk's wrist, along with the baring of teeth in sincerity as she did so. "I know communication can be difficult for you, so in return I offer you this Think Plant to wear and cherish. As a Tula, you should definitely be able to appreciate its unique qualities to bring friends and family closer together."

The Jodauvit vine itched slightly as it touched the calico fur of Murr looking for purchase, accompanied by the tingle of something in the back of her mind. A tiny, but palpable vibration that she was unaware of before pulsed into the corners of her awareness, like being tuned to a radio frequency of vibrant life energy. There was a word in the pulsing, several words in fact: "You know how to use Vit'taka, right?" They sounded exactly like Miali's voice, yet Murr could clearly see that she was standing in front of her with her teeth still bared, and lips unmoving. Her violet eyes did have a little twinkle of amusement in them though, as she gauged the Daho'a's reaction to her use of telepathy through the plant.

Last edited:
Murr's Den (quarters)

Murr nodded and did simple universal paw speak. Making the motions writing on paper, Drinking motion with her fist with outer fingers stuck out. Then accepted the Jodauvit vine.

At first mental contact with the Jodauvit vine, the horrors of her first encounter with wild plants through her innate ability. She visibly froze. Then the reassuring voice of Mali broke through with her question Murr,out of habit used paw speak to respond, then realized Maili wouldn't understand it yet.

She took a deep breath and focused. ~~"Ye.. know Vit'..ka Pla talk" ~~ Tentively responded back, unsure if she was communicating with Maili. She tilted her head to the side as she intensely studied Maili to see if there was any visible response to her efforts.

( @Nashoba Sorry I didn't reply sooner. My notifications don't want to work D: )
"Damira Ruosa

When Yanga ran his diagnostic, one of the units went to online, then offline. Looking at its location from the room he and his apaloa. A billowing cloud of dark smoke was coming up from the floor. "
Both Yanga and Alpin made quite a few loud curses as they noticed the smoke. "Tasi! We have a problem!" Yanga said, snagging one of the old fashioned fire extinguishers while Alpin fished out a pair of oxygen bottles and passed one to Yanga and donned his own. "The Niufofi'a Norjopa seems to have caught fire. I'm going to attempt to put it out without taking down the whole system but that may be necessary." Taking out the environmental systems would be bad news and hopefully not needed.

Murr's Den (quarters)

Miali was indeed listening when Murr sent out a response, broken and amateurish as it may have been. It struck her as a little surprising, as Murr was a full blood Tula and such things should come naturally to her. Although, it was not unheard of for some to not so much lack the knack for it, as to have been isolated from their natural plant affinity. Perhaps that explained her shipmate's apprehension at the gift?

~"Yes, but you seem a bit unsure? Did an elder not teach you the gift at an early age?"~ she began to send through the connection, each word coming gradually to the novice so as not to overwhelm. ~"You can speak over great distances as if you were right next to each other. I'm lucky that I was taught this and a few other Tula tricks by my pialoi; not every half-breed Tuoro knows how to do it."~

Murr's Den (quarters)

Murr nodded and relaxed a bit now that she knew this wasn't like talking with plants, domestic or wild ones. She took a deep breath and tried again with a bit more courage and curiosity. Focused herself and let the link develop more getting the feel of the Jodauvit Vine link. After minute of no response, getting used to the link.

Murr's eyes narrowed and ears tilted forward swiveling towards Maili in concentration. ~~ "Must project my thoughts to Maili ... Olay here goes... huh? hi. I've been taught to speak with plants. But not taught the use of the Jodauvit Vine to thought-speak with others." ~~ Tinged with shame directed more to herself than Maili. ~~ " Due to my defectiveness of being mute. I wasn't expected to pass into Adulthood. Much less making it this far." ~~

Murr gave a shy smile to Maili.

Wapoin Ruosa

Once Memi settled down La'tâ gave a soft smile and then got back to work treating him. His injuries were not severe so the treatment was fairly quick. She then turned to Leagar. "He is ding better now, but we'll have him rest here until he regains consciousness."

Damira Ruosa

When Yanga crawled back into the maintenance crawls space, he was not met with flames. The source of the black, acrid smoke was coming from the nearest generator. The casing of the unit was bent outward. Fortunately the system fail safes engaged and cut the power. Without the electric current the burning component stopped smoldering.

Wapoin Ruosa

Keyul meanwhile had gathered Sogi and Tota. He looked to the healers, "I am taking these two to their cabin. Then to the Gianate Ruo'sa to get them fed. If anyone needs me you can tell them where to find me." he said, and then led the two baqlii out of the medical room.

Outside

Meanwhile the Yome continued accelerating through the darkness of space. Locked on a course, using the drive system from the Yamatai. Headed towards the planet Âmuar. The planet that the Yome had first visited on its mission. They had already sent word ahead to the Mâhoa'ka Âdor that the ship was going to need major repairs.

Damira Ruosa

"Ugh." Yanga muttered to himself as he nudged the little fire extinguisher off to the side and set to inspecting the generator. "You're going to be a mess to fix." He mumbled and then scooted backwards until he could poke his head out. "Generator's busted." He listed out the tools he needed and had Alpin fetch them for him and wiggled back down the crawl space to carefully pick out the destroyed parts and attempt to patch the generator back together. Alpin meanwhile informed Tasi and updated the bridge as well on Yanga's behalf. After a moment or two Yanga popped back up for a few breaths of fresh air. "I need a second pair of hands." Alpin gave his brother a patient look "You know I can't fit down there with you." Being almost twice Yanga's size made squeezing into such a tight space a pain. "Yes I know. I need you to go find me someone who can. They don't have to know how the qopo thing works, they just have to hold the light steady." He was a bit stressed by the whole thing of course. Alpin merely nodded "Try not to set anything else on fire. I'll be right back." Yanga's scowl fell on blind eyes as his brother headed out into the ship.

[TLDR; Yanga sent Alpin to find some 'smaller help' to hand him tools and hold a flashlight.]

(Assuming Murr's Door is still open; )

Damira Ruosa -> Outside Murr's Den

Figuring that their quarters were probably the best place to run across someone he knew who could fit down in the crawl space with his brother that's where Alpin headed. Of course on his way to his room he came across an open door and a pair of familiar figures inside. Alpin paused, blinked and unashamedly watched for a long minute before he cleared his throat since they both seemed to be pretty quiet. "My apologies for interrupting Sars." He murmured "My brother needs some help and I'm not able to help." A polite way of admitting he wasn't able to fit. "Would either of you be able to help? He just needs tools handed to him while he works."

Murr's Den

The Door was still open when a new voice entered the conversation. Murr turned towards the open door, seeing it was one of the newcomers she had seen down in the Flitter bay. She looked him over as she nodded.

One good thing about Murr, she was a quick learner, even though she could be bull headed at times and overzealous in her actions.

Giving Maili a shrug and warm heart felt smile as she moved towards the exit of her quarters. Giving Maili a squeeze on the shoulder as she passed her, Murr motioned Alpin to lead the way. It was a good way to meet the newcomers. It was easy duty to hand tools and give help to a crewmate. She wondered if she could thought-speak to them. Or would they need a Jodauvit Vine also. She could see the tactical advantage of having them on missions. She motioned Maili to tag along unless she was needed elsewhere.

Murr made sure she had her wrist computer to make sure she communicate. And later to make more copies of her Paw-Speak Disc to give out.

Murr's Den

Miali nodded approvingly and reached out to touch Murr's shoulder with her silver paw. More words flowed through the link in return to the Tula. ~I'd say you're proving all those haters wrong every day, then. You're always giving all you have to help and protect others, and that's your real strength! Even if there is a barrier at times, the others do appreciate you. So, keep the Jodauvit with you and use it to help remove at least one of those challenges you face. It's the least I can do for a crewmate and new friend.~

The Tuoro gave an encouraging smile in return and then turned around when she heard someone entering the room. She giggled a bit when she found out who it was, though. "If it isn't one half of the brothers again..." she began, now using her vivacious voice once more. "It's alright, Murr and I were just finishing our conversation. I'd be glad to lend a paw if you wish."

This was followed by a secretive wink in the direction of Murr as she passed Miali and squeezed her shoulder. ~See, I told you you were appreciated,~ she projected knowingly, as it also served and example to show how the much larger Alpin was completely unaware of the Vit'taka going on right in front of him. ~In case you're wondering, Qaktoro's can't hear the whisper of the plants...~

The Adornopaa soon fell into step after the other two with a graceful stride towards engineering, her Gulvisapur jingling at her side rhythmically.

Murr just responded to Maili's last thought comment to her by nodding her head as she moved besides Alpin. She gave a soft chuffing sound at hearing Maili jingle, causing her to look back at her and bump into Alpin. At least he could move silently. But then Maili was a pilot. A pretty decent one not to disturb her as she dozed aboard the flitter.

Murr smiled as those she could call friends were growing. It felt good and it showed in her movement. A bounce in her step. Her tail curved behind her in contentment.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back