• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 3.1] Menace in the dark

Battle for the Akagane

"maiorrrow!" Errowyn wailed in protest as she dodged incoming fire and fired her aetheric cannons at the enemy fighter behind the one closest to her, and then swithcing to missiles, using the range finder to paint the closest enemy craft for missile lock and getting the tone, she fired ship killer missiles at it. Feeling her ship shudder from an explosion as her shields deflected or asorbed the kinetic energy of the explosion.

"Six!" remembering what bothering her, She didn't like the view as two latched onto her like glue, lighting up her shields with fire. Making adjustments to the aft shields strengthing them up. She heards the strain of the generators trying to keep up with the demands and with a quick glance, seeing them begining to heat up, edging towards the redline of auto-shut off.

She killed rear thrusters as she fired breaking thrusters hopefully to make the two pass by her so she would be on their six.

Akagane

The storage room was chaos, the storage containers were strewn across the deck and many of them had broken from the impact. As Elisto turned to leave and his light swung away from the outer wall, he saw an amber light coming from the wall.

---------------------

Battle for the Akagane

As Errowyn tried to get the fighters off her six, Scrambler executed a maneuver that put him in the perfect position for a kill shot. He opened up with all guns and watched the fighter explode. "Got your six Dreamchaser" he called out.

When Errowyn hit her reverse thrust, the enemy fighter banked hard to port to avoid running into her.

Battle for Akanage

"Thanks," seeing the enemy fighter shoot by her on her port side, immediatly hit full thrust turning to port to get on the enemies six and once she had perfect sight on her oppenent she let loose a salvage barrage of aetheric cannon fire. while lowering her shield output to let the shield generators cool down, but enough protection for her ship

Akagane

"The heck?" commented Elisto as he raised the pistol he had taken from the locker earlier and switched it on and started to approuch the wall. He was curious, pondering what the amber light was, though his first instinct was that he was most certainly trouble.

Battle for Akanage

Just before Errowyn's shots hit the alien craft a portion of the fighter detached and burst into a blinding blue white flare of plasma. As her Kawarime flew into the mass of energy it caused her sensors to be overloaded, effectively blinding her craft and temporarily overloading her CFS system.

Scrambler watched as the alien craft jettisoned part of itself and was then destroyed by fire from multiple fighters. When he saw Errowyn's fighter emerge from the plasma he radioed, "Dreamchaser what is your status?"

----------------------------------

Akanage

As Elisto looked at the object from a distance, it appeared to be something that had partially penetrated the hull. The glow came from the tip of the object, and pulsed in three second intervals.

Akagane

Elisto didn't need anyone to tell him, his gut feeling was that he was staring at the business end of a warhead. Taking a few cautious steps back, he keyed his communicator.

"XO? There's an unexploded warhead here in the portside mining module, what are your order?" he was after all guessing but he assumed it was a safe guess, but just to make certain he began to look it over with what little of the device he could see just to make certain. If he was wrong, he had no problems correcting himself, he was after all capable of making mistakes.

Battle for Akanage

Errowyn looked around, seeing nothing but white ..or blood red... Sounding paniced, "I-I can't see!" her heart racing. She was scared, "Ar-are we safe? Any more fighters?" closing her eyes and focusing on the data stream she was hooked to, to see. Nothing and she was blind. "I-I am blind both scanners and physical sight!" killing thrust to her craft, trusting Scrambler and the others to keep her safe, while she settled back in her seat and hopefully regain her sight.

Battle for Akanage

"Stay calm Dreamchaser, that plasma mass was emitting massive candle power of energy. Your fighter systems will recover if possible. Your own eye sight will probably recover sooner. At present our scopes are clear, even that anomaly has vanished. I'll talk you through executing a course change, and thrust burn to get us in the vicinity of the Akanage. Once there we will hold position until the Yamato arrives." Scrambler said maintaining a calm, controlled tone.

"Okay, just like back in flight school, we are going to execute a 30 second yaw, on my mark. Three... two.... one.... Mark..." He kicked the directional thrusters on his craft into a yaw and watched to see if Errowyn was able to execute it properly.

-------------------------------------

Akanage

The device was about 15 centimeters in diameter at the widest point Elisto could see. It was firmly wedged into the gash in the hull, some unknown substance appeared to be sealing the gap between the device and the hull. The blinking light continued its slow pulse, although as Elisto approached it, he could hear a faint tone that coincided with the light.

Battle of Akanage

Errowyn calmed down under the calmness of Scrambler's calm voice, mentaly picturing what she needed to do and the controls of the Kawarine. She executed the yaw and did a thrity second count, before moving the joystick back into the original position, "affirrrmitive," sounding more in control of herself.

Akagane

Every fiber of his being was screaming at him to leave the room, he knew he should've, his deepest thoughts telling him that the device was an explosive warhead but his duty as an intelligence operative overrode his emotions and he stuffed the worry into the back of his mind.

As he examined the device, he took in all of it's features with his glasses and took notice of the faint tone he was hearing. He had heard it before during his times as an officer, and tried to place it.

Recording the tone, he passed it through his digital brain and started comparing it to known audio files of missile detonators, proximity fuses and tranditional bombs and waited to see what results he would get. In the mean time, he continued to examine the device, staying a safe distance away incase it was what he was fearing: A proximity fuse.

Akagane

The tone did not react the way Elisto expected if it was a proximity fuse warning, no matter where he was the tone and frequency remained constant. It sound perhaps more like a beacon and his damaged comm system in his AMES was just barely picking it up.

------------------------------------
Battle of Akanage

"Okay, you are looking good Dreamchaser, now let's go for a 10 second burn at 50% power. That should give us enough velocity to close on the Akanage. Hopefully by the time we get close your vision will return. When we get back to the Yamato, I'm buying the first round." Scrambler said.

Akagane

Elisto shook his head; his brain could not fully figure out what it was and he had to make a guess. The pulsating tone obviously wasn't a proxmity fuse as it would've gotten 'louder' and more 'rapid' the closer he got.

It hadn't exploded, so it obviously wasnt a warhead. It wasn't a proxmity fuse as he had already determined. So what else would generate a pulse like this? A beacon? he blinked and placed his hand on the casing. That's the only other thing I can think of, with that he looked down at the ground and changed his initial thoery.

"XO? Forget what I said about an unexploded warhead, my assumption was false, my apologies if this caused any sudden panic. After examining the device more closely, I think it's worse than a warhead. It sounds, based off what little I can hear, that this may infact be a beacon. However, I can't say for certain what it is a beacon for. I can only thoerize that it's to track our movements," he knew the last part was more like stating the obvious, but he knew of multiple types of beacons that pirates sometimes employed. Those designed to draw in missiles, those designed to serve as target locators, and those designed purely for tracking ships. He felt this one was for tracking ships, but he wouldn't know for certain unless he could physically take it apart and examine it's internal components. Yet, if their enemy was just as deadly, they probabbly had a fail safe in side to stop someone from tampering with it.

Akagane

"Richardson here, no problem this has been a rough day. As I see it you have two choices. You can either depressurize the module, cut the section of hull the device is in and push it away. Or you can evacuate the module and jettison it, the mining module detaches at the main hull. If you think the device is likely to explode, then just jettison rather than risk more lives."

Akagane

Hard decision, he didn't want to risk anymore lives but he also didn't want to risk damaging anymore of the ship than he had on a personel level.

He rechecked his AMES seal and looked down at his belt, then back up. "Taii, I'll see about cutting it away," was Elisto's response as he hurried back into the ship and grabbed a weilder from a nearby damage control station. Then quickly returned to the module.

As he looked the device over, the substance that was around it made him curious. He wanted to take a sample, but he knew that wasn't going to happen. With a deep breath and a cleared mind, he started up the depressurizing process.

Akagane

As the hissing started, the lights in the module flickered several times, and then came on and stayed on.

With the room now illuminated Elisto could see more details. Including what looked like a place that someone had been hiding away. There was material arranged in what looked like a bed.

Akagane

"What have we here?" Elisto asked himself as he gravitivated over to the makeshift bed and looked it over. Mmm... so our intruder was hiding away in here huh? Wonder if there is anything of importance... he said as he began to search through the bed and anything in the area nearby for intelligence, or otherwise.

Akagane

There were empty containers which had residue in them, they looked like some sort of ration. There was a strange looking knife and a book with alien writing on the pages. They appeared to be hand written and many of the pages were blank.

The hissing stopped, and Elisto's AMES showed no atmosphere in the chamber.

Battle of Akagane

"Hai!" abit subdued as she used her mind to control the Kawarine, for presicion flying through the interface. Giving the ship a 50% burn for 10 seconds and then let the ship remain at the momentuem rate.

She was begining to see hazy objects through the "spot" of the after image of the flash of plasma

Akagane

The knife was of interest to Elisto, but so was the book as well. Picking it up and flipping through the pages, he rubbed the back of his helmet as he looked at the writing before pocketing the book in a bag that he had on his person, he repeated this process with the knife - he planned to examine both items later on when he had more time.

When he was done, he turned his attention to the beacon and walked carefully over to the wall and brushed his hand on it for a moment before unclipping the wielder from his belt. Slow and steady, he said as he placed the nuzzle against the wall and engaged it and started cutting a circular path one and half feet away from the device.

Akagane

It was slow going cutting the hull material, but after a while the cut was complete and the piece drifted away from the ship. Of course now Elisto had another challenge. With the more than three foot wide hole in the side of the ship, he could not pressurize the module and therefor could not enter the rest of the ship as the failsafes would not allow the inner access doors to open.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back