• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill (PG-13) Visit to Nepleslia

Status
Not open for further replies.
By coincidence, there arrived a secret, encrypted message for the captain's eyes only:
The Star Army Research Administration is currently interested in getting a hold of some of the recent NAM ships and technologies. If you happen to get a hold of salvaged power armors or starships, please let SARA know. Yggdrasill would be able to make a great profit and help its Empire keep its edge.

Please do not tell others of this request (it could be a crime).

Signed,
Ketsurui Yui

Remi was busy reading through any recent mail she had received on her laptop. A cup of tea in her hand. She sighed gently, relaxing until she came across a letter that had a SAoY logo on it. The doctor frowned a little, opened it, and saw it to be from her daughter, Yuriko. She opened it, and began to read, and sipping her tea. When she got about half way through, she nearly choked, and began to cough, also coming close to spilling her tea.

"Younglings?!" Remi croaked.

After a few minutes of coughing, sputtering, and wiping away excess tea, she used the Yggdrasill's comm system to call Toshiro.

"Toshiro..."She coughed a little still."Where exactly are we headed next?" The doctor asked, a little urgency in her voice.

Arin scratched her head over the latest haul. I still can't believe they are plucking Military Grade PAs out of thin space! Is this something 'normal' out here? The representative then took off the rest of her IronMan suit, feeling a little bruised from the handling but relieved that she made it through. NAM should really start its own salvaging operation if it is actually this profitable...

She then connected her Datapad (With the decryption codes), with Yiggdrasill (With the processing power) with the Black Box (With the code). "Yiggdrasill, begin decoding sequence. Inform me when its done." Arin announced to the Ai before she sat down on a nearby crate. ...Then again, it would be depriving the livelyhood of people like these out here. We aren't looking to profit, but rather distribute the wealth across Nepleslia. Here Arin looked at the junk that littered the hangar bay. Though not nessesarily in hard currency.

Toshiro's eyes widened when he saw the communication, and immediately felt concern for his Nepleslian crew...Shaun, who may wake up to be a criminal; Arin, who could be considered guilty of industrial espionage and have her career ruined; and Eve, who could be disassembled and KILLED over this...in desperation, a compromise came to his mind.

He only hoped Yui was one to listen to compromises...

PANTHEON Civilian Encryption Level 3: Maximum Encryption Level

To: Mistress Taisho Ketsurui Yui

While I would obey the request without hesitation if I could, I must note that three of my crew are Nepleslian in origin, and doing this could make them criminals to their homeworlds. One is actually a NAM Engineer, present to observe the Savtech Jane prototype, also a member of my crew.

As such, we must do this in such a way that will not make them look like criminals, nor make them unable to return to their homeworld. I simply cannot do such a thing to my crew.

I have an idea however...I request that a Star Army vessel be loaded with an advanced scanning system, which can be installed inside of my new storage ship, a Sojourner. I can send a crew member to the Sojourner and meet the SAoY vessel and have the scanning devices installed.

While I cannot risk giving you the actual machines lest NAM ask for them, I CAN order this person to do in-depth scans of all NAM technology we find and send them to you.

I would have to inform this person of the situation, true, but I am confident they can manage it. She is a former Star Army of Yamatai Officer, by the name of Miyoshi Remi, and has been my adviser on several matters, including the discovery of the Sourcian vessel Maras and the subsequent negotiations.

I ask for permission to bring Miyoshi-hakase into the situation, and that the scans be good enough for your needs...

I don't like saying "No, I can only do this" to one such as you, but I must care for my crew, and pray that it's enough.

Yuki Toshiro, Commodore
SRSS Yggdrasill (SRSS-000)
SRSS Alucard (SRSS-001)
SRSS-002

Toshiro then listened to Remi, the odd tone to her voice grabbing his attention, and replied...

"I'm not sure yet...why? Is something wrong?"

Remi took a moment to compose herself. The doctor cleared her throat, coughed one more time and settled in her seat, getting over the initial shock.

"My daughter...Yuriko is currently in the Yugumo cluster, and has had..." She let out a ragged breath at the realization she was a grandmother. "Younglings, twins to be exact, and making me a grandmother. I was hoping if we were headed in that direction I could possibly see my grandchildren. Or, if we are not headed that way, I of course understand."

"I see...Miyoshi-hakase, I have no issues with taking this ship to see your grandchildren, if we select a relatively safe route and set it up before hand. However, there is a matter of note which has just presented itself which must be resolved first. I want you to met my in my office immediately, please. This is of high importance."

With that, Yggdrasill routed communications to Toshiro's office, and he left the bridge, indicating that Eve had command. He entered the right-hand door, a direct route to his office...

As he did so, he was able to breathe a sigh of relieve...the latest communication from Yui showed that his proposition was acceptable, though the single word "Done" didn't really show if she was pleased or not...

Remi just sighed, and wiped at her mouth, and checked her shirt, and coat for any spilling. Once she knew it was clean, the doctor got up from her chair, leaving the medbay. She had her hands in her labcoat pockets, them shaking and fidgeting slightly. She closed her eyes a moment as she walked, no fear of running into walls, or tripping. She had the Yggdrasill's internal layout committed to her primary memory after all.

As she walked, she pondered on the implications of being a grandmother. "Yue...I wish you were alive to see our daughter's children with me." She mumbled sadly before she neared Toshiro's office, and promptly entered.

"I am here as requested."

Toshiro was already seated at his office, datapad in hand...when Remi entered, he looked to her…

"...We've been charged to do something for a very important person...Yui-Taisho-sama herself has contacted us, Miyoshi-hakase." He said, in a serious tone.

Remi just frowned at the name. She smoothed out her skirt, and sighed; arms crossed. "And what exactly does she want?"

"It seems SARA wishes to analyze any NAM technology that we recover, and they've promised to make it worth our while...though I doubt it's as much of a choice as it was worded. One does not say 'no' to the Mistress Taisho."

He rose from the chair, and looked out the window behind him...

"I actually had to decline to giving her the technology itself...I do not want to give up Eve, make Shaun a criminal, or ruin Arin's career...and NAM WILL be aware of what technology we gain through her, so it can't just...disappear.

I have negotiated an alternative with Yui-sama, and obtained permission to bring you in on the plan...rather than surrendering the technology directly and ruining the lives of our crew, I've arranged for a Star Army vessel to bring us a very detailed scanning device. You will take a shuttle, with our NAM parts thus far, under the pretense of storing them on the Sojourner, which is technically true. However, you will then take the Sojourner to the rendezvous point while we are still salvaging, get the system installed, and return the Sojourner to its previous position.

We will explain the scanner as coming with the Sojourner as an upgrade I purchased, and will use it to scan all devices we encounter. We will then copy the NAM designs and send them to Yui-sama or SARA, whichever she designates...are you willing to do this?"

"Why did you choose me for this exactly?" Remi asked.

Toshiro sighed...

"Because you are the only person here who has a history with the Star Army, and perhaps the only one of my crew Yui-sama would be willing to actually trust. If I couldn't set this up, the alternative is to have Eve locked up at SARA somewhere, end Arin's career entirely, and make both Arin and Shaun criminals on their homeworlds.

However, the reason I trust you with the mission is because you've shown you are capable of stepping up when things need done, like with the Maras incident."

Toshiro didn't like the situation one bit, but...it had to be done, it seemed.

"And I couldn't say 'no' to Yui-sama because...well...the communication came in just as we picked up a NAM Power Armor which looks fully functional...I suspect the Yggdrasill is being watched at this very moment, to determine what we pick up, or perhaps to take the items if we fail to cooperate. I can't prove it, and pray I'm wrong, but...the coincidence is far too great."

Remi smirked a little, somewhat out of character for her. "Old Yui'd be breaking a number of laws if she took it from you. Even with the military laws in place, she'd be effectively stealing Nepleslian property." She sighed a moment, and tapped her chin. "I'll do it, provided we can go see my grandchildren. Is that acceptable?"

Toshiro nodded, breathing a sigh of relief...

"Thank you...but even if you hadn't agreed, I planned to take you to see them anyway. I'm glad this is being worked out, though..."

"Although you are asking me to do something I possibly have no prior knowledge of doing." Remi commented.

Toshiro brought up some data on the Sojourner for Remi as he replied.

"Well, piloting the Sojourner should be easy enough if you look up the data before you leave. As for getting the scanner installed...you can either ask for assistance or wait for me to do it. Getting the scanner up and running right away is optimal, but not as critical as getting it period. Besides...given what happened at Lor, I've learned to trust your resourcefulness."

"I can interface myself with the Yggdrasill, and download the data from PANTHEON on how to install it." Remi surmised with a little nod. Though she wondered if he had any inkling on her background beyond what was not blacked out. After a moment of this she just inwardly shrugged. "What types of scans are needed?"

"As detailed as possible with the equipment we are receiving. It should be enough to be able to produce schematics."

"Don't most NAM designed power armors use a Savtech or some other form of computer system?" Remi asked curiously. "It maybe setup to detonate should tampering occur."

"Well, it's a risk we'll have to take...but there isn't much data to support that. After all, we ran scans to detect them floating around in the first place." Toshiro said, hoping he was correct...

"Hopefully nothing will happen." Remi nodded. "Will we be keeping the power armors?"

"We won't be giving them to the Star Army, if that's what you mean. As for if NAM lets us keep them, that's another matter. But if they come asking for them, we'll have them, and no one gets investigated or charged with industrial espionage."

"Kind of makes you wish we did not have a NAM representative on board." Remi said more to herself then Toshiro. "SARA would kill to have NAM power armors in the flesh, that is something I can safely tell you. Though the compromise was a good compromise." She nodded at this and continued. "What will become of the schematics once we hand them over to SARA? Erase them?"

Toshiro shakes his head.

"We keep them for repair data. That's why I said to scan everything. If we just scan NAM, it will look much more suspicious than if we scan everything allegedly so we know how to fix it. Since we obtained a damaged Power Armor, it's a reasonable precaution anyway. Of course, you can always give your own opinions...I'm open to advice."

"Everything I can think of would be illegal." Remi shrugged, being rather truthful.

"Technically, we're already in that territory...I'm doing my best to keep my crew from being jailed or exiled, without angering Yui-sama."

Toshiro sighed, the very idea bugging him...

"Am I a hypocrite for doing this? I allow other races onto my ship as an equal opportunity employer, but the moment Yui-sama says to do something, I must comply…"

"Oft times Yui can appear to be an over indulged child can't she?" Remi said softly, chuckled a moment and shook her head. "If you are a neutral party, and you refuse on account of wanting to remain neutral, and help all parties, then she wouldn't have any reason to do anything to you. Oh sure, she could put you on some trumped up charges, but the fact remains. She'd be in possession of NAM property, which would not be good for relations in this dark hour now would it?" She arched an eyebrow.

Toshiro nodded... "It's a fine line...and an odd situation she's put me in...but at least we have a solution which might work..."

"Of course. Will I have access to a Yamataian computer in which to work with?" The doctor asked idly.

"I did not specifically request one...should I have?" He asked, worried he'd overlooked something...

PAUSE

"Roger that sir. Where should I put it?" Aendri said, carefully moving the PA. He barely paid attention to Toshiro and Remi, focusing more on not damaging the PA.

Toshiro and Remi weren't even in the same room, but Eve replied instead...

"After scanning it to make sure there isn't anyone hiding inside, toss it into the cargo bay...well, not TOSS, but you know what I mean, right?"

The log from the black box showed classic signs of a pirate attack. A Demon charge backed up by an unknown vessel jumped the Red Hill Transport NSS Annum carrying assorted supplies to the front two days ago. The exchange of fire crippled the Annum and the brigands boarded the vessel. They hastily offloaded as much cargo as possible before fleeing when a border patrol entered radar range. The surviving crew were put in the escape pods, and the transport broke up shortly after from the damage.

Shortly after deducing this, a few standard procedures ran through Arin's mind like clockwork. Ship Log Report Form No.C177, A112 General Damages Pre-Assesment Form, Fringe Space Losses Form C259... She then knocked herself on the head once in disgust. What are you thinking? There are people out there waiting to be rescued!

"Captain." The representative opened up a comm to the bridge, she had a serious face on from the previous self-telling off. "I'm uploading the ship's logs to your screen, there are survivors in the area that need rescuing ASAP. Yggdrasill is extrapolating their likely position now." She left the comm on, and waited for further instructions.

"Ok" Aendri then ran a quick scan of the PA, to see if there were any lifeforms inside it, and if so, what.

Sinji snapped up at the thought of looking for survivors, he squinted through the visor, searching around for any escape pods, other than the one they had obviuosly just found. He, being in no way a sophisticated scanning system, was soon lost in the random junk and debris, and so crawled back to the shuttle and began pulling the hunk of the power armor box-thingy towards the Yggdrasill.

Where there was supposed to be a pod, there was...nothing. Apparently the pod had not gone on an unassisted trajectory...

Toshiro replied, still in his meeting with Remi.

"Keep an eye open for survivors then...and contact the Nepleslian government about our findings. I am sure they will want to know what happened to their ship...all personnel, please give a status report."

Shinji was hot on the Mic with his report, excited to be doing work. "Well, Cap'n, I got this Armor genorator hunk-thingy and I'm Pulling it to the Ygg' as we speak.I forget, do I back it in or pull it in after me?" The yamataian asked, a puzzled look crossing his face as he scratched his head in thought. He had only flown shuttles a few time before, and never towed anything to a ship before.

"Ahhh, will do. Sir. I'll fill the authorities in immediately" Arin scratched the back of her head feeling ashamed. "Sorry sir. I miscalculated." She then turned off the commlink without waiting for a reply. How could I? The data on the Black Box was accurate, why was it not there? Did I really make an error? The representative walked away from the console to calm down.

"Back it into the airlock and allow the internal grapplers to sort and carry it in. Also, we may need you to stay out there, Shinji-san. It seems this is a freshly destroyed ship. If we find a chunk with survivors, we may require your services to break them free and load them to the shuttle...it's not looking very good though..."

Ken came across another broken armor, a damaged AIR2a...quite possibly the one the Yggdrasill found parts of earlier.

Aendri settled the PA in the bay, then set his sensors to scanning for anything he would be needed for. "Hey, if anybody finds something for me to move, tell me where and what and I'll snag it." He then relaxed a little, leaving his sensors to do their work, and waiting on orders from somebody. This isn't all that hard. He thought. Wouldn't want to meet whatever took these guys apart, but so far it's been fairly easy.

"I got sumthin' for ya, Aendri" Shinji said, turning the shuttle around and presenting the armor replication chamber for the arm to take "Get it real quick so I can get more stuff" He siad, waiting patiently.

"I think I found the rest of that AIR2 Armor. Geeze, I'd rather blow up in a fighter then die in an armor." Kenji said, the last part partially muttered under his breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back